NameSilo

Expiring domain and data protection

Labeled as question in Domain Expiration and Domain Drop Catching started by gee, Jan 21, 2020.

Replies:
Views:

1. gee

gee Established Member

Hi

I have a domain that I'm not going to renew. The domain has whois data protection on. My question is, what's happening when a domain enters the expiration state - is personal data in whois exposed then? If so, can I do something about it?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Bertrell

Bertrell Upgraded Member Gold Account

As far as I know, personal data on privacy-enabled domains does not get exposed once a domain expires.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether or not personal data is able to be looked up if the domain didn't have privacy enabled for any amount of time. What I mean by that is, if you obtained ownership of a domain and didn't have privacy enabled from the initial time of acquisition (but decided to add it later on)--or, if you had it enabled initially, disabled it for a period of time and then re-enabled it. Seems like that would be information that could be found in a search of some kind.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  3. gee

gee Established Member

I did a little research and it seems to be as you've said.
    The domain's privacy has been set during registration and never been changed, so it it's not a problem.
    Thanks.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice