Domain Empire

Examiner.com about to get stolen

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CatchDeleted

Established Member
Impact
Examiner.com came up in Godaddy expired auction and bid is swelling up like anything.Meanwhile we were trying to get the domain through legitimate owner.Noticed that last registrant is domains(at)claritydg.com (A media company based in Denver,CO). We sent out an email with proposal and it bounced! Checked the domain name and realized it was just registered yesterday 10/27. I am sure whomsoever registered has malicious intents to grab the domain name through this method.How do we ensure this does not happen and any one who gets it get it in fair way.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
From GD website

Day 25 Domain is put up for domain name auction. You can manually recover your expired domain name or place a bid on the domain name through auction

•••
Like @bmugford pointed out in the discussion here when the change started,

Some thoughts on this -

1.) The change certainly doesn't seem all that beneficial to registrants in my view. While it might be rare domains are redeemed after day 30, it does happen and sometimes for very valid reasons like illness.

2.) This is a massive change to registrant's rights to only give (3) weeks notice, especially if it has was being worked on for a year as Paul said above.

3.) This change will obviously stop the free appraisal game where an owner will let the domain expire then transfer it out after it ends. It will also stop after the auction bidder circumvention.

4.) If the auction schedule is not being changed, it means it will still go to auction on day 26. That gives the registrant 4-5 days after it goes to auction where they can still renew it.

5.) For a multi-billion dollar company with massive resources, I am not sure why GoDaddy can't figure out the timing when it comes to auctions. Other venues like NameJet that deal in expired domains when the auction starts it can no longer be redeemed. If the redemption period is 30 days, why not start the auction after that period?

Brad

https://www.namepros.com/threads/godaddy-domain-name-expiry-changes.1051138/

•••
A good number of redeemed domains with bids were redeemed exactly because folks used to e-mail previous owners offering them $$$, instead of bidding, and the emails were sent out exactly because the bids were published on public auctions. GoDaddy started to hide whois - it did not help. Historical whois databases were used. I myself was a "victim" of such emails (sold something - buyer transferred to GD - buyer did not renew after a year or two - auction started - my email was logged as one of historical whois emails - a series of emails looking like indian seo offers, with followups, started to appear during the progress of expiring auctions). So, the next step for GD was to disallow transfers (or renewals) after at least one bid was received. Who knows, maybe they are able to make exceptions in rare cases (such as previous owners hiring lawyers who are demanding the renewal, etc etc etc). Who knows, maybe top domains are still subject to under-the-table deals or attempts to grab them for cheap in one way or another.

•••
•••
•••

Paul tweeted again when I asked can it be renewed:

Not sure how many days post expiry it is, but if its after 30, then not without extenuating circumstances.

I replied:

No Paul this one is weird created because the expiry and create are not in unison Creation Date: September 13, 1994 Expires: October 2, 2020 But it's not 30 days yet. What would extenuating circumstances be if it were 30 days after?

•••
•••
I just read that whole tweet thread @equity78

My understanding is that there'll be a price correction just before the end of the auction or post-auction, forsure!

•••
•••
I'm pretty sure this domain is still renewable for another day or 2. The expiry date is October 2, so 30 days would be October 31.

Also, for some domains, the expiry date is different than the creation date, because some registrars let people sync-up their domains to all have the same expiry date, no matter when their registration date was.

Last edited:
•••
Sabotage email might slow things but this all makes interesting reading.

•••
The domain got renewed today.

•••
•••
Must be nice to be able to auction off everyone's expired domains and make a fortune for giving nothing in return.

Free thousands of dollars every day with no risk/investment.

THAT is a SCAM if you ask me.

Let domains go through the drop process!

Last edited:
•••
Must be nice to be able to auction off everyone's expired domains and make a fortune for giving nothing in return.

Free thousands of dollars every day with no risk/investment.

THAT is a SCAM if you ask me.

Let domains go through the drop process!

And that ... will help HugeDomains only. No, thank you. I'd rather pay GD and also get some quality names via closeouts than HD laying their hands on over 50% of those via their network of dead-beat registries...

•••
And that ... will help HugeDomains only. No, thank you. I'd rather pay GD and also get some quality names via closeouts than HD laying their hands on over 50% of those via their network of dead-beat registries...

Well you make a good point if every name just dropped freely, ,most here would be out in the cold.

•••
Well you make a good point if every name just dropped freely, ,most here would be out in the cold.

It would change the dynamics drastically. HD can afford to take hold of every mediocre name at $8 cost, while also making some of that money back via dropcatch. Then they can own it for a year and decide if it is worth holding to. And that will be much more beneficial to them than the current arrangement with GD where they overpay for lots of name and get a first right of refusal on the moment of drop into the closeouts.

And the rest of us can feast on the excrement coming out of the gigantic whale.

•••
It would change the dynamics drastically. HD can afford to take hold of every mediocre name at $8 cost, while also making some of that money back via dropcatch. Then they can own it for a year and decide if it is worth holding to. And that will be much more beneficial to them than the current arrangement with GD where they overpay for lots of name and get a first right of refusal on the moment of drop into the closeouts.

And the rest of us can feast on the excrement coming out of the gigantic whale.

Agree 100%

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back