NameSilo

Examiner.com about to get stolen

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CatchDeleted

Established Member
Impact
Examiner.com came up in Godaddy expired auction and bid is swelling up like anything.Meanwhile we were trying to get the domain through legitimate owner.Noticed that last registrant is domains(at)claritydg.com (A media company based in Denver,CO). We sent out an email with proposal and it bounced! Checked the domain name and realized it was just registered yesterday 10/27. I am sure whomsoever registered has malicious intents to grab the domain name through this method.How do we ensure this does not happen and any one who gets it get it in fair way.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Examiner.com came up in Godaddy expired auction and bid is swelling up like anything.Meanwhile we were trying to get the domain through legitimate owner.Noticed that last registrant is domains(at)claritydg.com (A media company based in Denver,CO). We sent out an email with proposal and it bounced! Checked the domain name and realized it was just registered yesterday 10/27. I am sure whomsoever registered has malicious intents to grab the domain name through this method.How do we ensure this does not happen and any one who gets it get it in fair way.
I'm a little confused... How do you think someone is stealing the name?

•••
I'm a little confused... How do you think someone is stealing the name?
Because the registrant email id Of the said domain is [email protected]

Yes,

If I get the domain I will create that same email ID then I use forget password options at the register. That's it.

Good catch @CatchDeleted

•••
Because the registrant email id Of the said domain is [email protected]

Yes,

If I get the domain I will create that same email ID then I use forget password options at the register. That's it.

Good catch @CatchDeleted
The forget password option would require you to verify your email address. So you think that the domain name claritydg.com is now owned by someone else, and that they have created the email "[email protected]" and used it to attempt to gain access to the former owner's account?

•••
Where did you find that the last registrant is domains(at)claritydg.com? I get "
No match for domain "WWW.CLARITYDG.COM".
>>> Last update of whois database: 2019-10-29T14:35:50Z <<<
"
for claritydg.com at internic whois.

•••
@gtldomainer You will have to use some domain Whois history tool for that.Who is will not show you the history.

Last edited:
•••
•••
@equity78 Thanks domain is still tagged to domains(at)claritydg.com.We checked.Where are you checking from?

•••
•••
What's funny is Huge Domains registered ClarityDG.com when it expired, dropped after one year.

•••
•••
•••
@Joe Styler

To all the people thinking sending an email will work, it's laughable.

I have seen this used by scammers in the past, it is very frowned upon, the auction is the best way if the original owner does not want it, the rules of the auction, and the register godaddy need to be respected.

I am sure Godaddy is keeping an eye on this to make sure no funny business is going on, but might be good to tag Joe if a reverse engineer is about to take place by a scammer.

I think at this stage you cannot transfer it out, and once a bid is placed in auction it cannot be recovered, so the auction has to play out now.

•••
@Joe Styler

I have seen this used by scammers in the past, it is very frowned upon, the auction is the best way if the original owner does not want it, the rules of the auction, and the register godaddy need to be respected.

I am sure Godaddy is keeping an eye on this to make sure no funny business is going on, but might be good to tag Joe if a reverse engineer is about to take place by a scammer.
@wwwweb Couldn't agree more and that was our point too. Thanks for tagging @Joe Styler

•••
@wwwweb Couldn't agree more and that was our point too. Thanks for tagging @Joe Styler
It's to late even if they got into the account, they can't restore, or transfer it at this point.

I guess they bought the domain from Huge Domains on a payment plan, ClarityDG.com, and will try to reverse engineer the emails to try to gain access to the account, and change ownership, at which point godaddy is going to be all over it. That does not constitute legal ownership.

It's an awesome domain, at an important time in news history, it's going for big bucks.

•••
It's to late even if they got into the account, they can't restore, or transfer it at this point.

I guess they bought the domain from Huge Domains on a payment plan, ClarityDG.com, and will try to reverse engineer the emails to try to gain access to the account, and change ownership, at which point godaddy is going to be all over it. That does not constitute legal ownership.

It's an awesome domain, at an important time in news history, it's going for big bucks.

No HugeDomains dropped it and Flynn hand registered it. I agree this was not going to work as GoDaddy watching this auction closely.

•••
•••
I don't see a trick so please explain
The trick is to setup the old email, if tied to the domain, the godaddy login, I have no idea if the login is tied to the clarity domain. One would assume once in the account they could restore the domain, and control it, but godaddy's short auction window now makes that impossible, as once in play, the auction cannot be stopped, restored, or transferred out. Try to reverse engineer access to the account, from the root domain that controls the email.

•••
@Joe Styler

To all the people thinking sending an email will work, it's laughable.

I think at this stage you cannot transfer it out, and once a bid is placed in auction it cannot be recovered, so the auction has to play out now.

Exactly the greater worry in a GoDaddy auction is where you have these people working together to bid the name up to crazy numbers then no one pays and the auction gets rolled back to where the other person working with them is waiting to purchase it.

•••
The trick is to setup the old email, if tied to the domain, the godaddy login, I have no idea if the login is tied to the clarity domain. One would assume once in the account they could restore the domain, and control it, but godaddy's short auction window now makes that impossible, as once in play, the auction cannot be stopped, restored, or transferred out. Try to reverse engineer access to the account, from the root domain that controls the email.

Right I know that trick but ClarityDG.com email is Flynn not [email protected] like some said.

•••
@equity78 You can restore your domain even if it has gone for expired auction. We were reaching to the owner on 10/27 the same date when this gentleman registered the domain.Once email bounced we checked and realized that it had gone to dropcatch and from there after to expiry (or they purchased from HD)..

•••
@equity78 You can restore your domain even if it has gone for expired auction. We were reaching to the owner on 10/27 the same date when this gentleman registered the domain.Once email bounced we checked and realized that it had gone to dropcatch and from there after to expiry (or they purchased from HD)..
You can't restore it once it has a bid placed on it.

•••

Looks like it dropped and he just hand registered it.

•••
Two years ago GoDaddy changed their expiry rules, for names at their registrar, they cannot control Enom,Name.com, Domain.com, etc...

We are making a change to our domain name expiry process and wanted to give you enough notice to make decisions on your portfolio. GoDaddy is changing the domain renewal timeline from 42 to 30 days for most domains. Based on our research, less than 1% of our customers renew after 30 days.

Starting Dec 4, the following changes will happen to expired domain names:
* After Day 5 of expiration, DNS, email, hosting, redirecting and any other DNS-dependent services will be interrupted and stop working.
* After Day 30 of expiration, domain names are no longer able to be renewed or transferred away.

We wanted to give a heads -up so you have enough notice to make decisions on your portfolio. As always please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions.

Thanks

@Joe Styler @Paul Nicks could this name still get renewed or transferred out, though the name was registered in September it has an extra few weeks for expiration, expiring October 2

Updated Date: 2019-10-13T13:38:16Z
Creation Date: 1994-09-13T04:00:00Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2020-10-02T03:59:59Z

Last edited:
•••
It looks like Flynn maybe was just attempting to do the impossible, points for the attempt, but yes if he actually did pull it off Godaddy would just take it right back, as we are talking 6 figures here, as the auction is now over $100K.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back