Dynadot

Everyone.net or other e-mail services?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Site: http://www.everyone.net

What if someone (namely, me) wanted to set up their own "branded" E-mail service ... either for existing customers, or as a new stand-alone site. I've been thinking about this recently ... for potentially one of more of my "Mail/Email" domains.

Appraisals: http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2495

I'm very worried about potential problems with SPAM, as well ... obviously. Does anyone have any experience with Everyone.net?
Has anyone ever attempted to launch their own E-mail Only site ... and what types of things proved effective, or too difficult to overcome. Are there other companies that offer a better service for the price?
ANY thoughts/comments/suggestions on the matter would be GREATLY appreciated.
Your convenience.
Thanks.

:talk:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Lotsofissues ... did I read that you had either used, or are using Everyone.net somewhere here on the site?
Thanks.

•••
I have an current everyone.net site with 45000 email users. Never had any problems with the service. I don't make any money from the site though.

Also used BigMailbox in the past. I would go with everyone.net over them.

•••
There is not a lot of money in providing email service IMO.
From a NA stand point its a major pain.

But, if you must venture...look into colo or getting your own server. For a small project (1000-5000+ users) I would consider getting a decent pipe or even good broadband (with static IP) hooked up to a nice little Linux box that sits quietly in the corner :)
Email is pretty easy on the bandwidth accept for the occasional attachment.
JMHO
Cheers!

•••
I used to use everyone.net with a free email site I had at mailnaked.com. Had over 10K and never a problem with spam.

As RJ says, you wont get rich so do it because you love it. With free email sites, money is a stranger :)

•••
As already stated, I've used everyone.net as well, and have never had any problems with it.

Best of luck!

•••
I have a stupid question for you guys... what plan would you use at everyone.net?

•••
GREAT stuff, everyone ... thanks a LOT! :)

Wow. I barely posted, and shazaam ... info at my fingertips! :D
The different "plans" that MrJetGuy brings up is also a good question ... appreciate any feedback there, as well.
I've pretty much read about the $$ aspect, but for my potential project, that concern is not of primary importance ... thankfully.
You guys are great!
PS. Namecaster ... could you please send me the translation of that via PM. Something simple for the Cool 'Kid? :laugh:

:kickass:

•••
www.awhorehouse.com Yes I use everyone.net

I have had no spam problems. But only 600 accounts.

•••
•••
•••
Originally posted by lotsofissues
www.awhorehouse.com Yes I use everyone.net

I have had no spam problems. But only 600 accounts.

I like the example addresses on the homepage!
:kickass:

•••
Ok, well in preperation for the fact that they accept my application (everyone.net) I have begun work on a site. It should be up at http://ti8.com

My hope is to offer free email. I will put the login box to the left of the text and may be a tower ad to the left. I know it looks bad now, but give me time :)

•••
Update: I've added some adds that I jsut grabbed off of the net andput them on the site as well as a mock login (doesn't work). ninwta (I think that's the right name) made a different header for me then the one that is currently on the site and I am trying to decide which to use.

Now I would really appreciate your comments on starting a branded email service. Are there any good sites for this? I have checked google to no avail. Also, how hard is it to get accepted for the sponsored plan at everyone.net? Because if it is too difficult I may need to look elsewhere and would appreciate you other reccomendations.

•••
Hey ... cool site: http://ti8.com

Have they accepted your application? As you can see, I'm very interested in this whole process, as well mrjetguy ... so I'll keep posted here to this thread to share your expereince(s).
Great stuff! B-)

PS. I've also begun to do some research at:
http://www.bigmailbox.com

... from RJ's comments above, for comparison purposes.

•••
:) Everyone.net accpeted my application! This gives me an accoutn with the sponsored plan for http://ti8.com I was surprised as I had read that they are hard to get, but either things have changed or the people were talking about a different company. Well, now I just have to change around the DNS a bit and wait for it to update!

In other news I am still working on the site. I will let you guys know when its open for business

•••
AWESOME, mrjetguy ... I'm pumped up for you!! Truly. :)
Can you provide any specifics here ... like which plan you selected, the cost and application process, # of e-mail user accounts, etc? If not, I'd love for a PM ... as you know, I am very seriously considering "Everyone.net".
This is freaking great news for you, IMHO. :D
Thanks.

•••
Ok, I'll be back in a little bit and I'll post everything that I can answer to. I appreciate all of your support coolhost! :)

•••
Originally posted by mrjetguy
Ok, I'll be back in a little bit and I'll post everything that I can answer to. I appreciate all of your support coolhost! :)

And I appreciate you posting like this ... this was just a case of incredible timing! I'm sure your information is helping a lot more members than me, as well. Keep up the good work. :)

•••
Originally posted by CoolHost.com
AWESOME, mrjetguy ... I'm pumped up for you!! Truly. :)
Can you provide any specifics here ... like which plan you selected, the cost and application process, # of e-mail user accounts, etc? If not, I'd love for a PM ... as you know, I am very seriously considering "Everyone.net".
This is freaking great news for you, IMHO. :D
Thanks.

I selected the sponsored plan. The reason for this is that it seemed to have everything I needed and it's free! :) Of course they do take a certain percent of the banner ads displayed in the mail box (50%), which is quite a bit. But at the same time they are providing me with an oppurtunity that I otherwise wouldn't have. Also a nice feature is that they let you use what ever type of ad script you have for displaying banner ads (I use adbutler on all of my sites). They let you have as many user names as you'd like as they only benefit from more users. Under their other plans they do limit you though. Right now I am just waiting for the DNS to update so I can get started! :)

I think that I answered your questions, but feel free to ask more.

•••
What does the application say?? I am interested in starting a free email service :)

•••
More than answered ... thanks! Let me know when you're "live", so I can check it out. Pumped for 'ya. :D

•••
•••
•••
Sorry for the lack of updates but I am still waiting to activate the servvice as my DNS still hasn't updated. The main problem is that I got confused, asked enom, got an answer that turned out wrong, asked enom again, got another wrong answer, and am now waiting to see if it is finally right. In between each step there has been about 3 days of waiting time to see if I did it right. I know that it can take up to 5 days, but it has now been over a week that I have been working on this! the scary thing is that I'm thinking that I might have had it right before I got enom involved and they started telling me what to do (I had only waited 3 days before contacting them) D-:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back