IT.COM

Euro 2008

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Euro 2008

What your favourite country ?

Who you think will win this year Euro 2008 ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
-Alex- said:
I just noticed. Youve got the schedule wrong.

It's Spain VS. Russia and Sweden VS. Greece

(I believe) ;):D
I realized that mistake just before going to bed. Figured someone would correct me.

I will predict Spain to win and Greece to draw.
Greece hasn't changed its team very much since Euro 2004. They have a solid team. Sweden is always tough to beat.

Spain has a young and exciting team. I think they will go to the final 4.

Russia, well they could be a bag of surprises.

Interesting games today.

GIL

•••
Go Netherlands, go! What a great game last night...

Today, I'm waiting for Spain to destroy Russia. ;)

•••
dmi said:
Go Netherlands, go! What a great game last night...
I'm not going to diminish the efforts of the Dutch team, they won deservedly. However, there seems to be a case of gross negligence by the refs. The first goal of the Dutch was about as much offside as it can be.
Same with the penalty given against Austria, where the preceding free throw was run down the line for about 15 yards before being thrown in.

M.

•••
no it wasnt offside.

there was a player from italy behind the goal. ;)

•••
Mike said:
I'm not going to diminish the efforts of the Dutch team, they won deservedly. However, there seems to be a case of gross negligence by the refs. The first goal of the Dutch was about as much offside as it can be.
Same with the penalty given against Austria, where the preceding free throw was run down the line for about 15 yards before being thrown in.

M.
You are right, I saw an offside too. But nevermind... Netherlands were a much much better team and, like you said, they deserved to win.

•••
Mike said:

M.
That first Dutch goal is gonna be an interesting case study for the next few days. Was it or not offside?
Because of the clash with the goalkeeper, the Italian player was lying outside the field apparently injured.

According to the rules, a player from a defending team cannot put himself out of the field in order to provoke an offside.

Since this situation appears to be involuntary, does this rule still apply? :-/

This is open for debate.

GIL

•••
It was clearly offside, its not liike the defender intentionally went out, he was pushed and hurt.

If it had been in the field, the game would have stopped. imo

Yes I am also a Italy-fan :)

•••
it is how it is, he was behind the goal.

and the Ref. didnt blow the whistle.

so sorry for italy, it wasnt offside.

here is an article

Ruud van Nistelrooy's goal for Holland in their 3-0 trouncing of world champions Italy in their Euro 2008 opening Group C match was legal despite a clear offside said European football's governing body UEFA on Tuesday.
UEFA's secretary-general David Taylor said that even though van Nistelrooy was clearly offside the fact Italian defender Christian Panucci was behind the goalline without seeking permission from the officials placed the goalscorer onside.
"The goal has been correctly awarded by the team of referees," said Taylor.
"The player was not offside.
"When you're off the pitch, you're still relevant of the off side law. The referees applied the law in the correct manner. Unless you have permission to be off the pitch, you have to be on it. Most people are not aware of the law. There is no matter for debate." — AFP Ruud van Nistelrooy's goal for Holland in their 3-0 trouncing of world champions Italy in their Euro 2008 opening Group C match was legal despite a clear offside said European football's governing body UEFA on Tuesday.
UEFA's secretary-general David Taylor said that even though van Nistelrooy was clearly offside the fact Italian defender Christian Panucci was behind the goalline without seeking permission from the officials placed the goalscorer onside.
"When you're off the pitch, you're still relevant of the off side law. The referees applied the law in the correct manner. Unless you have permission to be off the pitch, you have to be on it. Most people are not aware of the law. There is no matter for debate." — AFP Ruud van Nistelrooy's goal for Holland in their 3-0 trouncing of world champions Italy in their Euro 2008 opening Group C match was legal despite a clear offside said European football's governing body UEFA on Tuesday.
"When you're off the pitch, you're still relevant of the off side law. The referees applied the law in the correct manner. Unless you have permission to be off the pitch, you have to be on it. Most people are not aware of the law. There is no matter for debate." — AFP

http://www.todayonline.com/articles/258678.asp

and btw russia will win this evening because their trainer is Guus Hiddink
so that will be a hard job for spain i guess.

•••
Spain just scored a goal by David Villa with a beautifull pass from FernandoTorres. Great game so far!

15 minutes later just before half time: Villa scores again. Spain is looking very strong!

GIL

Last edited:
•••
Wow, Spain took a nice lead now. I am surprised as I think Russia may be the surprise team of the tournament.

I had no internet since yesterday, so couldn't comment on Romania - France and Holland - Italy.

I liked the way the French could not score, but from the middlefield, Romania lacked the positive aggession it had in the preliminaries.

Italy did not disappointed that much, in fact Holland played very well. Very tough group. I just hope Netherlands beats France, so that they will be qualified till the match with Romania. And Romania made 0-0 and 1-0 against Netherlands in the preliminaries.

regarding tonight's match, I think Sweden will win with a narrow distance. Greece is not that team it was 4 years ago, and Sweden is well organized. But I must be wrong.

•••
i hope guus will do it again.

and for sweden, i will cheer for them. ;)

•••
David Villa just scored his 3rd goal. What a game for him! Russia has a good team but España is just too GOOOOOD!

5 minutes later; Russia scores a well deserved goal by Pavlyuchenko

Spain 3-1 Russia

GIL

Last edited:
•••
•••
Another goal for Spain by Fabregas. End of story. A great game and we have a serious candidate to win this Euro

Viva España!

GIL

•••
sorry to correct you Gilsan

VIVA Hollandia :D

•••
WatchOut said:
sorry to correct you Gilsan

VIVA Hollandia :D
Yes, So far Holland and Spain are the best teams, followed by Portugal and Germany.

Viva Good Footbal!

GIL

•••
GILSAN said:
David Villa just scored his 3rd goal. What a game for him! Russia has a good team but España is just too GOOOOOD!

5 minutes later; Russia scores a well deserved goal by Pavlyuchenko

Spain 3-1 Russia

GIL

You stopped too early

4-1

:D

•••
Spain was great. I'm a fan, especially because of the Barca players (Xavi, Iniesta and the king - Puyol).

Last edited:
•••
I was stopping at 3-0 lol, it was 4-1 :(

•••
dmi said:
Spain was great. I'm a fan, especially because the Barca players (Xavi, Iniesta and the king - Puyol).

Agreed. Only im a fan of Spain cause my dad is from there and lots of their players are from the team I support (Real Madrid) ;)

Casillas is a GREAT goalkeeper. In the Spanish league Real Madrid only lost 2 matches - heavily due to the goalkeeper.

:D

•••
Greece 0 - 2 Sweden Was it a good game?

GIL

•••
GILSAN said:
Greece 0 - 2 Sweden Was it a good game?

GIL
Greece ruined it. They play the most awful football in the world. Ibrahimovic scored... A nice goal. :)

•••
yes it was a nice game to watch.

•••
I watched only the first half and it was boring. It was the first time I did not watch a game entirely during this Euro.

However, I am still disappointed by Russia. It was the first time I lost on a bet. I thought it will be a draw. Well, at least I won on 5 games.

•••
we lost as Sweden played better,
it seems our players are not fit enough to play in this Euro

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back