alert Epik Had A Major Breach

NameSilo
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Pick a side folks. Like the Adam Dicker saga. What a 🤪 business
Even the drug trade there is accountability.
Any updates on the whores you were referring to earlier in this thread Peterson? That was kinda sick.
Surprised there are still ladies present.
I dont like how Rob runs and hides after making this “ platform” his podium
Hotkey you would see a bit more of compassion, actually he seems to have vanished. You would see more compassion if Rob took some accountability and help guide us through this. Sorry you picked wrong side 😔
You mean Monster was referring to? I don't think his use of the term "whores" was necessarily referring to women, specifically. He called ANYONE who takes money from him, that doesn't agree with his nonsense, a "whore".

Attachments

• paying employees equals whore.png
    paying employees equals whore.png
    139.8 KB · Views: 118
•••
@robmonster has been accused by several dozen people in this forum, which he obviously holds in high esteem because he spent so much time here for the past several years, of:
1) Lying about his VPN service.
2) Lying about his DDoS service and forging marketing materials.
3) Lying about his hosting service.
4) Lying about the security and control of his main website.
5) Hiring professional "investigators" to harass and threaten anyone who exposed Monster and his lies.

To name just a few. Those are pretty serious accusations but he hasn't tried to refute and single one of these claims. He hasn't confessed to his lies or repented for his lies and the people he has hurt but instead he's tried to get people censored and threatened them with lawsuits for simply telling the truth and trying to warn others about a very sketchy company and man.

BTW - If Rob tries to claim that NamePros doesn't matter to him or anyone else feel free to remind him that he is still using claiming to be the NamePros' Best Registrar of 2020, which everyone knows was a fraudulent vote. I honestly can't even imagine the type of character, or lack thereof, it would take to cheat and then brag about your stolen victory.

Attachments

• zknv.png
    zknv.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
•••
Does anyone know if any of the websites hosted by Epik, that were hacked (eg. Oath Keepers, TX Republicans), were hosted under a white label (eg. Digital Ocean, AWS)?

•••
•••
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/29/far-right-extremist-groups-data-breach-hackers

Then, in September, domain name registrar and web hosting provider, Epik, had the entire contents of its home server repeatedly breached.

Epik had offered services of last resort to groups like neo-Nazi podcasters, The Right Stuff; sites like QAnon hub and extremist playground, 8chan; and even, for a time, Gab itself.

CEO Rob Monster built up his business by promising an anything goes platform for such groups. The Guardian’s inspection of the data reveals that Monster – who has worked as a broker of domain names – had also speculatively snapped up dozens of domains which invoked the code words and preoccupations of the QAnon movement.

Megan Squire, senior fellow in data analytics at the Southern Poverty Law Center, agreed with Salter’s assessment of the level of technical talent on the far right when it comes to security online. She said: “A lot of the people who are actually qualified to do this work are not going to be willing to work with these people.”

While “the hacktivist ethos is alive and well on the left”, Salteradded, extremist-friendly hosts like Epik are unable to hire the personnel who might help them create a defensive capacity. She described Epik’s data design as poor. “I haven’t seen anything that bad in my entire career,” she said,

Last edited:
•••
Did anybody go to jail?
The Monster is in silence mode- per advise from attorneys

•••
Just a belated rehash of events. The surprising thing about the Epik data breach is that it has had little coverage in the Irish and UK media. (The Guardian is a traditionally Left-leaning UK newspaper and the piece gets some of the facts wrong. It was a lot more than its nonsensical "home server".) A lot of this is down to European media having few journalists in the US and relying on wire services like Reuters and AP for coverage. Most coverage tends to be on politics and economics.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
"Salter said that any talented technologists on the far right “tend to be clustered heavily around more offensive roles attacking others rather than defending – and far more importantly, day to day managing – their own infrastructure”.

Given this deficit, and the surge of hacktivism on the left, breaches like those seen in the last year seem set to continue, she added."

•••
These are the facts that the piece in the Guardian got wrong and this is a direct quote from the article:

"Then, in September, the domain name registrar and web hosting provider Epik had the entire contents of its home server repeatedly breached."

The breach was far more extensive than claimed in the article. It involved the compromise of multiple servers not just a "home server".

The first set of data from the breach was released in September but that does not mean that it was when the servers on the network were compromised. September is when the first set of data exfiltrated from these servers was published. There was a notification of a vulnerability to Epik long before September and actual compromises may have occurred before September.

The article is non-technical and gets the above facts wrong about the Epik data breach. In claiming that it was a compromise of its "home server" it misrepresents the scale of the compromise and the data released. It might have been more accurate to say that servers of Epik's networks were compromised but the "home server" claim is technologically inaccurate as the releases were bootable disc images of multiple servers.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
This is all fluff now. Where is cnn interview @Derek Peterson
In the news tonite, epik got hacked last year.
I dont know how you weasel out of shit Rob. The Christchurch thing i thought you had lost it. Nutbar factor 5
Came through amazingly well.
All the bling and controversy, paypal, afternic, and now a breacherman, i still have not found out what info of mine was released. Other than sum of us freaking out like end world was coming. Nothing has happened.
The AD statute of limitations seems to have trumped the democratic process here.
Welcome @Hellbat37 better late than never. Great feeling writing something then big cheese comes along with an eraser and removes it.

•••
Is anyone aware of any updates from Epik. Or is it order of the day. Nothing new. Just plow ahead. Same old.

•••
I get email (my account email) to the [email protected] blocked and they are claiming that it is not them doing the blocking. I've sent two copies of the block to support via a non-account email account. But no response. Been like this for about 1 week already. Anybody else seen this? Who else might have access to their support server other than Epik?

Last edited:
•••
I get email (my account email) to the [email protected] blocked and they are claiming that it is not them doing the blocking. I've sent two copies of the block to support via a non-account email account. But no response. Been like this for about 1 week already. Anybody else seen this? Who else might have access to their support server other than Epik?

Umm, everyone?

•••
•••
•••

OK. I stopped using Epik and I'm in the process of transferring my domains out. I just started a new batch of domain transfers. I sent the requested email for them to approve the transfer out. It wasn't blocked. So they must have traced the blocking and fixed it. But they never acknowledged the problem nor updated me for reporting it. Just another reason not to trust a registrar who isn't open and doesn't admit to their mistakes. it'll be another month until I'm done with Epik. It will be a day to celebrate when I have zero domains in my account.

Last edited:
•••
•••
OK. I stopped using Epik and I'm in the process of transferring my domains out. I just started a new batch of domain transfers. I sent the requested email for them to approve the transfer out. It wasn't blocked. So they must have traced the blocking and fixed it. But they never acknowledged the problem nor updated me for reporting it. Just another reason not to trust a registrar who isn't open and doesn't admit to their mistakes. it'll be another month until I'm done with Epik. It will be a day to celebrate when I have zero domains in my account.

Replying to my own post to keep it in context. I just got a email from Epik asking for a copy of the blocking email. Which I sent before, and when they asked for a bigger picture I sent that. Which implies they didn't receive it. So I've now copied them the complete email, not just a picture. Which in hindsight would have been a lot easier to produce than a snapshot picture. I wonder if they will reply to this email? History tells me not to get my hopes up. But I have discovered the blocking has stopped with my last couple of emails sent from my original account email.

•••
50 % off topic but is there a thread called "Godaddy had a major breach" ??

•••
50 % off topic but is there a thread called "Godaddy had a major breach" ??
There was 2, but they didn't take off.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/th...f-wordpress-site-owners-are-affected.1259186/

https://www.namepros.com/threads/godaddy-discloses-recent-security-breach.1259165/

Had it been a very large and established company, some straightforward PR and security measures would have mitigated the damage, given their are not dealing with undesirable websites (thats why GD kicks them out).

GoDaddy did some PR.
That's all it takes.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
77 votes lol
Epik far from worst.
Your on wrong thread anyways.
Did CNN interview you yet about the breach?

Tell that to all the people who had their data stolen, had the FBI show up at their house, lost their job and went to jail for dumb "hate speech" laws.

•••
had the FBI show up at their house, lost their job and went to jail for dumb "hate speech" laws.

As a lawyer, that's an interesting set of assertions there. Could you please:

1. Identify the federal "hate speech laws" for which the FBI is showing up at people's houses and for which they are going to jail. Please simply identify the federal law or laws in question, without rambling on, since I'd be interested to know which federal law you mean to suggest is being enforced by the FBI here.

For reference, the general index to the US code is here:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/part-I

I would be fascinated to read the federal hate speech laws, and understand what are the penalties under them.

2. Alternatively, perhaps you might identify a person whom the FBI arrested for violation of these federal "hate speech laws".

Thank you. Not looking to argue about anything, but would like to understand the factual basis for your apparent belief that the FBI is showing up at people's houses and jailing them for violating "hate speech laws".

•••
Back