alert Epik Had A Major Breach

NameSilo
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I get that. You personally have opposing views. But associations can reflect on us in eyes of those that haven't taken the time to know us personally. And that is the case in business. And you may not view your domaining as a business. I don't know if you have a day job or not. But IMO it is a pr risk.

I had a business that I gave to my Son back in May .. at any rate .. I know I have nothing to worry about .. except my financials .. domaining wise .. well .. I talk to a lot of people .. from all kinds of back grounds and ect .. it’s not for me to judge them … it’s purely around domaining .. nothing else

•••
considering I am an innocent victim .. how many more innocent victims are there ??

interesting … put in prison or killed ??? Elaborate on that one ..

Several people have already lost their job because of the "hack". Now imagine some person ran an anti-lgbt or anti-Semitic site in Germany or a Christian site in China or some Muslim country. They'll end up in jail or dead. People will be put in prison and even killed because of this "hack" of that I am sure.

•••
With .com domains being $8.49 or less, that's how 98% of transactions would end up being under $10.

The 50% under $1 would mean a surprisingly high number of junk nTLDs were bought though.
This is the estimated multiyear domain names breakdown for Com/Net/Org/Biz/Info/Mobi/Asia/Ie (AMBIONIC) domain names hosted on Epik:
<2001: 3.96%
2001: 0.91%
2002: 1.23%
2003: 2.89%
2004: 1.94%
2005: 1.68%
2006: 1.76%
2007: 2.02%
2008: 2.41%
2009: 2.33%
2010: 3.55%
2011: 2.95%
2012: 3.16%
2013: 4.71%
2014: 3.78%
2015: 3.41%
2016: 4.13%
2017: 3.83%
2018: 4.55%
2019: 7.09%
2020: 19.20%
2021: 18.53%

37.73% of Epik's domain names are Y2 registrations. (First seen in the last two years.)
53.19% of Epik's domain names are Y5 registrations (First seen in the last five years.)
72.37% of Epik's domain names are Y10 registrations (First seen in the last ten years.)

The 2020 and 2021 domain names are going through their first renewal cycle so they are not all multiyear renewals yet. The high % for 2020 and 2021 is common for all hosters and registrars. What a lot of people may not realise is that the registries often run discount deals to drive registrations in their gTLDs. This means that the registrars may get a refund or discount based on the number of sales in the offer period. Some of these domain names will be cheaper than the typical wholesale price. The renewal rate for legacy gTLDs like .COM is much better than the renewal rate for discounted new gTLDs.

What is not known is the nature of the invoices. Are these registry-Epik invoices or Epik-customer invoices? The main problem with a lot of the media analysis on this story is that the journalists effectively do not understand the domain name industry.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
Several people have already lost their job because of the "hack". Now imagine some person ran an anti-lgbt or anti-Semitic site in Germany or a Christian site in China or some Muslim country. They'll end up in jail or dead. People will be put in prison and even killed because of this "hack" of that I am sure.

that makes me think about the possibility of “Fabricated Data” .. to many people now have the Dumped data .. I could see this turning into a possible plethora of fabricated data .. National Enquirer level fabricated baloney … the possibilities are endless with the Dump being in so many different peoples hands now

•••
the possibilities are endless with the Dump being in so many different peoples hands now

If anything that would likely make the data more vetted, not less vetted. When you have that many people crowdsourcing the data, it is hard to just randomly make some shit up.

Almost all the data analysis I have seen so far shows some type of citation where it came from. This could easily be verified by people with the same data and technical abilities.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
EPIK’s VP glows brighter than Fukushima. This guy is also Rob Monster’s “prayer partner” (aka handler). DANGER. STRANGER. DANGER.

So an NSA cryptologist expert let 100,000 of their users' data get "hacked"? Sounds like an inside job to me. #epicfail

Attachments

• rob davis bio.png
    rob davis bio.png
    909.3 KB · Views: 152
•••
If anything that would likely make the data more vetted, not less vetted. When you have that many people crowdsourcing the data, it is hard to just randomly make some shit up.

Brad
Exactly, and there would be no purpose in it. This X character is just trying to steer thread in Epik's favor.

Last edited:
•••

Almost all the data analysis I have seen so far shows some type of citation where it came from. This could easily be verified by people with the same data and technical abilities.

Brad

well .. yes and no IMO .. because not everyone who has the data is an honest person .. extremely vetted .. Yes .. the big problem i see .. by dumping the data with financials opens up a whole nother problem of unauthorized attempts on Financials . possibility by many more people .. it could get complicated from a fabricated stand point because the data will be available for long time to come ..

I have seen the people’s names and ect that have been finger pointed so far .. time will tell about email addresses .. financials and other stuff ..

It’s a shame that so many people who aren’t the target of the hacker or the affiliation have to be victimized ..

Last edited:
•••

Interesting observation and very unfortunate reality in the world.

I imagine this criminal hack was partly based on someone's inflated moral stance and political polarization typical in the present times with no care for its victims.

Repetitively turning threads from informative and educational to speculation and fringe hate groups has been seen here often enough. I guess some people can't help themselves, and or this is how they view their world.

Free speech is a rare commodity in the world, luckily enshrined in the US Constitution, and is a necessity and not a guarantee for a peaceful existence. It doesn't surprise me that a company not embracing woke ideology will always be the target of organized negative public relations campaigns.

When something like a domain registrar is receiving so much negative attention and hate, it might be appropriate to reevaluate one's prejudices and values and stop being a victim of gaslighting.

•••
It’s a shame that so many people who aren’t the target of the hacker or the affiliation have to be victimized ..

Yep, I agree.

There are going to be many people who get caught up in this and know nothing about any of the extreme elements that Epik has connections with.

Some domainers were just there because of pricing promotions. Some end users just bought a domain there.

Others had absolutely nothing to do with Epik and had information leaked only because Epik was scraping and archiving whois information.

There will be many others that have shady connections uncovered that they were trying to hide.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Interesting observation and very unfortunate reality in the world.

I imagine this criminal hack was partly based on someone's inflated moral stance and political polarization typical in the present times with no care for its victims.

Repetitively turning threads from informative and educational to speculation and fringe hate groups has been seen here often enough. I guess some people can't help themselves, and or this is how they view their world.

Free speech is a rare commodity in the world, luckily enshrined in the US Constitution, and is a necessity and not a guarantee for a peaceful existence. It doesn't surprise me that a company not embracing woke ideology will always be the target of organized negative public relations campaigns.

When something like a domain registrar is receiving so much negative attention and hate, it might be appropriate to reevaluate one's prejudices and values and stop being a victim of gaslighting.

Rob Monster does NOT believe in free speech. He believes in free marketing. I have had many conversations with him about the subject and he doesn't even understand the concept of free speech, at least the American version outlined in First Amendment.

And this hack was because Rob Monster doesn't care about user privacy or security, he never has and he never will. Couple years ago he launched a VPN that he claimed to own, he didn't, it was a white label. he is a dishonest man.

•••
Yep, I agree.

There are going to be many people who get caught up in this and know nothing about any of the extreme elements that Epik has connections with.

Some domainers were just there because of pricing promotions. Some end users just bought a domain there.

Others had absolutely nothing to do with Epik and had information leaked only because Epik was scraping and archiving whois information.

There will be many others that have shady connections uncovered that they were trying to hide.

Brad

the information is there for the taking .. it’s all over the place now .. so the possibilities are endless ..

One thing I want to understand .. but still don’t .. example : why would a proud boy member want to hide affiliation … what would be the purpose ?? I mean .. yeah .. some people don’t want their stuff aired out all over the net .. but affiliations having to with websites with the Right or Far Right ?? I don’t get that ..

•••
the information is there for the taking .. it’s all over the place now .. so the possibilities are endless ..

One thing I want to understand .. but still don’t .. example : why would a proud boy member want to hide affiliation … what would be the purpose ?? I mean .. yeah .. some people don’t want their stuff aired out all over the net .. but affiliations having to with websites with the Right or Far Right ?? I don’t get that ..

because they will have hundreds, maybe thousands of antifa types calling their place of employment trying to get them fired, calling the friends and family all hours of the night, mailing their neighbors info about them, swatting them in hopes of them getting killed by police or doing things directly that are far worse to the person or their family. You don't get out much do ya?

•••
I myself truly don’t feel any different about this hack as opposed to the other 3 I have been involved in .. I have just had it with having to change all my Financials .. pass words .. 2 step auth words .. not to mention the unauthorized use of my CC I incurred last time this happened .. having shit stolen from you sucks ..

•••

There are any number of reasons why people would not want their affiliations known, from the Proud Boys to websites pushing medical misinformation and everything in between.

Here is a real world example -

After the Capitol riot, ‘Stop the Steal’ organizer Ali Alexander was scrambling to hide his digital footprint

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/ali-alexander-epik-hack-web-domains-capitol-riot/

The data is all out there now for the DOJ, FBI, or any other investigation agency who wants to look at it. It will likely be a treasure trove for them.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
because they will have hundreds, maybe thousands of antifa types calling their place of employment trying to get them fired, calling the friends and family all hours of the night, mailing their neighbors info about them, swatting them in hopes of them getting killed by police or doing things directly that are far worse to the person or their family. You don't get out much do ya?

brutally honest .. I like that ..

•••
There are any number of reasons why people would not want their affiliations known, from the Proud Boys to websites pushing medical misinformation and everything in between.

Here is a real world example -

After the Capitol riot, ‘Stop the Steal’ organizer Ali Alexander was scrambling to hide his digital footprint

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/ali-alexander-epik-hack-web-domains-capitol-riot/

The data is all out there now for the DOJ, FBI, or any other investigation agency who wants to look at it. It will likely be a treasure trove for them.

Brad

well .. if they are doing something illegal .. then I can see them not wanting to be spotlighted .. if they aren’t doing anything illegal aside from pissing some people off or making opinions and ect .. then they shouldn’t care or even sweat it IMO

Last edited:
•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Cool, got a list of 24,000 domain related emails to sent spam emails to now. :)

Brad

Lol :) for those interested, follow the guy on twitter. He's doing some interesting research. Haven't verified it myself but a lot of it seems to match up with what I already knew.

•••

I recognize several people & organizations near the top of the list. The vast majority of these people are just domain investors who likely used Epik for pricing mainly. I would venture to guess that most of them don't even have any idea about the drama and controversy surrounding Epik, especially over the last few years.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I recognize several people & organizations near the top of the list. The vast majority of these people are just domain investors who likely used Epik for pricing mainly. I would venture to guess that most of them don't even have any idea about the drama and controversy surrounding Epik, especially over the last few years.

Brad

I am sure they do know it .. if they received a Dark Web alert like i did … this was my point earlier … innocent people being victimized…

•••
I am sure they do know it .. if they received a Dark Web alert like i did … this was my point earlier … innocent people being victimized…

I mean they likely had no idea about the drama and controversy surrounding Epik, especially in recent years. They are mainly just domain investors and Epik offers appealing pricing.

I am sure at this point pretty much everyone knows about the data breach itself.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
I mean they likely had no idea about the drama and controversy surrounding Epik, especially in recent years. They are mainly just domain investors and Epik offers appealing pricing.

I am sure at this point pretty much everyone knows about the data breach itself.

Brad
Apart from the English Daily Mail newspaper, I don't think that it has any coverage in Ireland or the UK. It hasn't been mentioned on Irish web forums either.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Back