Dynadot

Encirca Slashes .Pro Cost & Eliminates Red Tape

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Encirca.com announced they were eliminating heavy restrictions and high costs surrounding .pro domains today. Second level regs now open to everyone and first year cost cut to $49 (through March only):

http://www.dnjournal.com/columns/encirca.htm

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Whoa! :o Looks like I have to go and look for some $$$ makers. ;)

•••
I grabbed two that I hope will pay off;
Portfolio.pro
and
Data.pro
:|

•••
Two great domains, if .pro ever does become popular. I wasn`t all that sure, but regged a few just incase :
DOWNLOADS.PRO
PROPERTY.PRO
AMERICAN.PRO
SEARCHENGINES.PRO
VACATION.PRO

Stu
Dot.us

•••
Just so that you know:

It appears that we are not supposed to change the nameservers to our own ones?
Their page http://www.encirca.biz/html/proforwarding.shtml states, under "Additional notes and restrictions":
- Domains maintained by EnCirca's ProForwarding service must use EnCirca's nameservers
- The public Whois will list "EnCirca ProForwarding" as the Registrant (!!) contact and you as the Admin contact

And in addition that that, I also got an email from them about this after I inquired about why I could not change the Registrant and Tech contacts into my own:
In order for this domain to resolve, it must have the same registrant as the two third level domains it is associated with. Since EnCirca provides these two domains, it must be the registrant.
Also, the domains must be hosted on EnCirca's nameservers. This is why EnCirca is listed as the tech contact.

The only way to change this would be for you to register two third-level domains of your own in different professions. If you decide to do this, this month is ideal since they are also 50% off and cost $99 each instead of $199/each. We would provide the license credentials for you at no extra charge.

Hmm... Luckily, "Domains maintained by EnCirca's ProForwarding service may be transferred in a private sale to a third party at any time. Owner transfer is accomplished via EnCirca's free Account Move utility". Well, that's something.

Weird though, I successfully changed the nameservers for all my .PROs before I realized any of the above. I guess I'll have to change them back to EnCirca's??

Last edited:
•••
Depends how much you want to keep ahold of your domain. i`ve noticed a few people who regged .pro`s via encirca today change the nameservers to there own. Will anyone check. Who knows ! Guess if you change them to your own, you can tell us soon :)

Stu

•••
Does Encirca take PayPal? :)

•••
No, but if you have a PayPal credit card then you can do it that way.

Hmm, 'I am still struggling' with this previously described 'nameserver dilemma':
In my account there clearly is an 'Add a NameServer' option provided, and also -next to each nameserver listed- there is a box with 'Delete' next to it, which enables me to delete any of the nameservers entered, including EnCirca's own. And I did all that....

•••
I host ecommerce.pro with my hosting and it works already.
http://ecommerce.pro
Also some I use mydomain.com free dns work very well .

•••
I will send cash to somebody thru PayPal, if they grab me a .PRO. I only want 'one'. :)

Hey Rob, keep us posted on the nameservers. That does sound rather unsettling.

•••
yesonline said:
I host ecommerce.pro with my hosting and it works already.
http://ecommerce.pro
Also some I use mydomain.com free dns work very well .
Yes, but that's not the problem here.. All my PROs are now configured with my own nameservers and they are all resolving just fine. The matter here is wether or not we are allowed to change the nameservers or not. Their support states something different (to me, in an email) than what the site allows us to do. That is what's going on here. :)

•••
The DNJournal article has this blurb about it:
To take advantage of the features offered domains will have to be managed through Encirca nameservers and in the WhoIs record their information will appear in all contact fields except the Admin contact which will contain the domain registrant’s information.

Doesn't that mean they can only be forwarded? Is this $49 fee just for a forwarding service?

•••
Prosperous said:
Yes, but that's not the problem here.. All my PROs are now configured with my own nameservers and they are all resolving just fine. The matter here is wether or not we are allowed to change the nameservers or not. Their support states something different (to me, in an email) than what the site allows us to do. That is what's going on here. :)

Hey Rob, how long before the domains showed up in your account? I'm itching to bring mine over to show-and-tell. :hehe:

•••
armstrong said:
Hey Rob, how long before the domains showed up in your account? I'm itching to bring mine over to show-and-tell. :hehe:
They show up instantly. If they don't, then it most likely means that registration failed (even though you may have received a 'successful order' email and screen after ordering). Happened to me a couple of times.

•••
Just do a whois on the domains you registered to see if they are actually registered to you :
http://www.registrypro.pro/

Look at the "registration type" field, if it shows SecondLevelResolving and your name in the Admin Contact then the domain is yours. If the registration type shows anything else like "ProDefense" then it means the domain order would have went through at Encirca, but failed to be processed as the domain is reserved by the registry.

Stu

•••
Duke said:
Encirca Slashes .Pro Cost & Eliminates Red Tape
Duke, the subject line for this thread should have been:

Encirca Slashes .Pro Cost & Eliminates Red Tape and Causes All Kinds Of Confusion :laugh:

•••
dajimbo said:
Just do a whois on the domains you registered to see if they are actually registered to you :
http://www.registrypro.pro/

Look at the "registration type" field, if it shows SecondLevelResolving and your name in the Admin Contact then the domain is yours.

Hooray! I now have appraisals.pro and support.pro - both eminently developable domains. :kickass:

Thanks for the link, and explanation.

•••
I posted this in another thread but it may help clear up some confusion so I will add it here as well:

I talked with Encirca President Tom Barrett again this morning and asked him about the nameserver situation since several people have successfully switched them to their own nameservers and have their sites resolving properly. He told me it had been his understanding that the site was set up not to allow a nameserver change but since it is allowing them he said they probably wouldn't enforce the rule (he was going to talk to his engineers about it today). So you may be home free using your own nameservers which would simplify things a great deal.

Even if you had to use their nameservers you can still host the domain anywhere you want by changing the A and CName fields at Encirca to point to your host. He said their intent is to give you a working domain for no more than the $49 reg fee the first year ($99 annually thereafter). You do not to have to pay anything for the two third level domains that have to be associated with a second level domain. They automatically register two for you (that you won't even know about) to meet the registry requirement. Since the domain stays in their name and you are only listed on the Admin contact, they also provide the license required by the registry for .pro domains.

Congrats on Appraisals.pro Armstrong. I am still debating whether or not to take any .pro but that one was on my short list of good candidates. I'm still debating the value proposition and think it only makes sense to take these if you are sure you are going to develop them. I don't think many people will be able to sell for a profit the first year so they will get hit with those big renewal fees. Good development would offset that expense though.

•••
Prosperous said:
Encirca Slashes .Pro Cost & Eliminates Red Tape and Causes All Kinds Of Confusion :laugh:

I agree on that one... :-/

Is the $49 just a "forwarding fee", and you'll have to pay $49 more in order to really own the name and use your own nameservers???

Edit: Posted at the same time as mr. Duke.. So it's a bit more clear now.. :)

Last edited:
•••
Geesh, times must be bad...

•••
I guess they couldn't get enough lawyers or doctors or CPA's on board, so to save the extension....
But now, this extension is vialble all of a sudden. Personally, I think this should be getting just as much buzz as .in...
-Allan

•••
IAmAllanShore said:
I guess they couldn't get enough lawyers or doctors or CPA's on board, so to save the extension....
But now, this extension is vialble all of a sudden. Personally, I think this should be getting just as much buzz as .in...
-Allan
My father In-law is a pretty successful Business Atty and 1.Doesn't want or need a site/domain (in his words) - Only email. and 2. Could see spending $100 + the hassles for a silly domain name extension when com, net, org are all easier to remember. (again, in his words).

I like the PRO extension and could see great development opportunities if I knew how, and if the cost was reasonable.

•••
Duke said:
Even if you had to use their nameservers you can still host the domain anywhere you want by changing the A and CName fields at Encirca to point to your host.

I don't see an option to add dns entries when using encirca nameservers.

I do seem able to change nameservers, as pointed out.

•••
armstrong said:
I don't see an option to add dns entries when using encirca nameservers.

I do seem able to change nameservers, as pointed out.

It is listed under "Services" at the top. Scroll down to the link for Advanced DNS. It shows a price of $18.95 but I think it just bypasses the price if you are using the service with a .pro name.

•••
so it is my understanding that once they show up in your account on enCirca, they are yours? I ask because when I hit submit to pay them, it never left that page, it just sat there like it was locked up. then I received an email confirmation, and they are in my account. but the payment page is till sitting there trying to load.

other than that how does, mortgagequotes.pro and creditrepair.pro sound to you all?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back