Dynadot

discuss EMOJI warning from ICANN

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WeSell-Domains

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So the SSAC report , in this case, says because everything doesnt work exactly right, lets warn and not allow any emoji new tlds (to the right of the dot)

This could be the moment like with Bitcoin went before Congress, who held hearings and warned on the risk of Bitcoin, and that moved everyone to say what is bitcoin... and led to huge popularity

some of the assumptions are spot on on why the marketplace is moving toward these names

REPORT: Emoji are “pictographs (pictorial symbols) that are typically presented in a colorful cartoon form and used inline in text

my thoughts yup, pretty cool

REPORT They are popular on smartphones, in chat, in email applications, and in social media, where they are part of a trend toward pictorial forms of communication to augment (or replace) text

my thoughts - so lets definately keep them out of the internet naming system, we only allow changes when we make $300,000,000

and then this pretty accurate summary -

REPORT - Some country code Top Level Domains (ccTLDs), e.g., .WS (Samoa) and .LA (Laos), allow domain names with emoji to be registered at the second level, and several registrars accept labels with emoji for registrations in other TLDs. Since 2011, at least one browser displays any emoji it recognizes when they appear in domain names, although other browsers continue to show the ASCII A-labels instead

ME - cool which browser? BTW .LA does not currently allow emoji, does have some grandfathered including the poop emoji..

REPORT - Since most applications implement either the current version of IDNA (IDNA2008), the obsolete previous version (IDNA2003), or some locally synthesized combination of the two, the practical implication is that domain names with emoji will not be accepted or processed consistently by applications.

me - so not universal, growing pains, and these workarounds work pretty good in most cases, i think of emoji in beta when it comes to use right now, - you have keyboards, browsers and different rendering but each domain name still resolves to one set of nameservers...even if some outputs look the same... whic of course could change if the base person emojis become different than the genders. funny how pouting was assumed to be a woman, ...

so looks like emoji will stay out of new and existing global tlds until its ready for prime time.

and the market will move toward education and more and more use, with disclaimers for beta and not the same level of complete universal resolution...im in.

•••
•••
david❤jennifer.ws
i❤kiwi.ws

There isn´t anything, that can be misunderstood here! There will be a selection here too between good and bad emoji domains

Last edited:
•••
We don't need to be babysat by these nanny-state commitees and told what to stay away from. Due diligence is best practice, just as with the Latin alphabet eg. "I" vs "l". Why not a warning against that, lets just stay away from the entire Internet.

Thanks but no thanks, I'll be keeping my emoji investments.

•••
Back