Dynadot

news Emoji could soon take over domain names | CNET

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
The internet domain registrar and web hosting company is making it easier to search for and register available emoji-based domains. On Friday, the company launched a search engine for emoji domains. People can visit the site on their phones, type in a string of emoji and see if the domain is available.
As more of the world increasingly uses the internet on phones and other mobile devices, a flood of emoji-based domains seems inevitable. Heck, even the Touch Bar on Apple's new MacBook Pro will let you type in emoji, something that's difficult to do with a traditional computer keyboard...
emoji.png

Read More on CNET and DomainSuccess

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Either gd will create an emoji whois as current whois sites dont recognise emoji or someone will design an emoji whois and make an absolute fortune from doing so

But emoji domains are effectively a universal language

Someone will probably build an emoji social network and emoji currency we will soon be able to pay with emoji

But there needs to be an emoji whois eg a visual whois

And hopefully dn journal starts an emoji domain sales list

•••
Great thoughts everyone.

I'm the domainer who bought ☁️.com a few weeks back. FastCompany want's an exclusive, so I'm holding off on posting the one that I wrote for DNaddicts.com

I'll keep everyone in the loop..

Last edited:
•••
It looks like I just sold my first emoji. I wish I priced it higher.

Sold on Afternic for low $XXX. I'm starting to think I should hold on to my other 6 emoji domains. Unfortunately, they got 1 of my favorites.

•••
It looks like I just sold my first emoji. I wish I priced it higher.

Sold on Afternic for low $XXX. I'm starting to think I should hold on to my other 6 emoji domains. Unfortunately, they got 1 of my favorites.

⚘ is a pictogram, so you shouldn't feel too bad about it.

•••
Obscure, single character emoji domains in the .ws extension are going for ~$200. The fact that some of these weird guys are even selling is a great sign for the market.

•••
^^
@DNaddicts

Ignorance here, but what is the difference between a pictogram and an emoji?

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
No that should not be done. Emoji domain names should not be there, it will create a lot of fuss and ruckus and will be tough for searching. Also that would not look good.

•••
No that should not be done. Emoji domain names should not be there, it will create a lot of fuss and ruckus and will be tough for searching. Also that would not look good.
I'm confused. What should not be done?

•••
^^
@DNaddicts

Ignorance here, but what is the difference between a pictogram and an emoji?

It's a good good question!

Pictographs/symbols are 2d drawings (many of which evolved into emojis).

Pictographs are symbols, such as U+26E8 ⛨ BLACK CROSS ON SHIELD, that are pictorial representations of objects, sometimes quite simplified.

The set of Unicode emoji intersects, but is not the same as the set of pictographs in the Unicode standard. Some characters are both emoji and pictographs, such as U+1F32D HOT DOG. Some characters are emoji but not pictographs, such as U+203C ‼ DOUBLE EXCLAMATION MARK. Some characters are not emoji but are pictographs, such as U+26E8 ⛨ BLACK CROSS ON SHIELD.

See >>> Unicode

Cheers,
James

•••
I went ahead and just picked up these two non-emojis. :)

I like how they are in my phone's keyboard...without even going to the emoticon keyboard.
I use my phone 99% of the time. I'm planning on just using these for my own use...don't really care if they will sell.

Last edited:
•••
I went ahead and just picked up these two non-emojis. :)

I like how they are in my phone's keyboard...without even going to the emoticon keyboard.
I use my phone 99% of the time. I'm planning on just using these for my own use...don't really care if they will sell.

The fact that they're on the your phone's keyboard is a great selling point. That being said, they're probably not going to sell for $XX,XXX (but, hey, you never know).

•••
The fact that they're on the your phone's keyboard is a great selling point. That being said, they're probably not going to sell for $XX,XXX (but, hey, you never know).
I'm not looking to make a fortune... just a decent profit. :)

•••
♦ ◇
(There are 2 different diamonds above)
Question...What is the difference between the two? (I think I have both these, btw)

•••
♦ ◇
(There are 2 different diamonds above)
Question...What is the difference between the two? (I think I have both these, btw)
Different punycodes

•••
congrats @CJ6 and @DNaddicts on the sale and acquisition, respectively

•••
congrats @CJ6 and @DNaddicts on the sale and acquisition, respectively
Thank you. I do feel the ☁️ went cheap. I'm going to hold off on outbound sales for now, but IBM is at the top of my list.

•••
Great thoughts everyone.

I'm the domainer who bought ☁️.com a few weeks back. FastCompany want's an exclusive, so I'm holding off on posting the one that I wrote for DNaddicts.com

I'll keep everyone in the loop..
Congratulations on the purchase, definitely a nice descriptive image too!

•••
•••
Thank you. I do feel the ☁️ went cheap. I'm going to hold off on outbound sales for now, but IBM is at the top of my list.
Agreed, you did well with it. Cloud computing is the first thing that crossed my mind too.

•••
Found this nice example of an enduser using a site based on an emoji domain, and manages to really incorporate the "visual" that the emoji denotes. It's a silly game, but pulls it off:

energy-boost-emoji @Jon Roig

•••
What do you think ok my EMOJI DOMAIN?

ABCD.WS

the emoji ofc

Last edited:
•••
•••
Sorry if it has been mentioned here before, but where can I register punycode .com domains like xn--l3h.com (☁️.com)?
The registrars I usually register my domains don't seem to support Punycode .com domainname registrations.

•••
You can't register .com emojis anymore, not allowed....any old ones you see in action are simply grandfathered up year over year. But you can do it with .ws, at these places:
❤❤❤.ws
iwantmyname.com
name.com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back