Dynadot

discuss Elon Musk, Crypto Candy, and a GoDaddy Auction

NameSilo
Watch

Overpaid or Underpaid?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Underpaid

votes
    65.2%
  • Overpaid

votes
    34.8%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Joshua Harding

AssetReturns.comEstablished Member
Impact
As many of you may have seen, Elon Musk a few weeks ago tweeted his desires to start a candy company called "CryptoCandy". This tweet was made - likely facetiously - in response to Warren Buffett, and their differing views on the importance of moats to businesses + brands.

Interestingly enough, the domain CryptoCandy.com expired, and was auctioned at GoDaddy a short few days ago.

It managed to pull in a cool $1525.

Now, this is a man whose image is so strong that he was able to sell TWENTY THOUSAND flamethrowers for a smooth $10 million in February. Not to mention the Herculean tasks he's overcome in his other business ventures to get to where he is today.

Given his uncanny ability to generate hype around anything he so chooses, I personally expected CryptoCandy.com to go for much more than it ultimately did.

What say you? Did the buyer overpay or underpay CryptoCandy.com? Did it fly under the radar of Elon Musk fanboys?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There's no doubt it was Elon. He's actively acquiring on GoDaddy.

It will definitely bolster some attention coming from this man. He has a knack for innovation and it's great he's pushing in so many areas. It drives other companies to be better.

•••

It will definitely bolster some attention coming from this man. He has a knack for innovation and it's great he's pushing in so many areas. It drives other companies to be better.
Agreed wholeheartedly on his business acumen. He's a unique individual with respect to his drive for innovation.

Is he really actively acquiring via GoDaddy? I was operating under the presumption that a man of his ilk would just pay end-user, retail prices for any domain he so desired, e.g. X.com.

•••
Agreed wholeheartedly on his business acumen. He's a unique individual with respect to his drive for innovation.

Is he really actively acquiring via GoDaddy? I was operating under the presumption that a man of his ilk would just pay end-user, retail prices for any domain he so desired, e.g. X.com.

I follow him pretty closely, check out his twitter. The man is smart, when he publicly states he's starting a company, he already did the preliminaries. He files the business and locks down the name.

Just a few days ago, he announced he was starting a journalist rating platform under the name Pravda. He couldn't attain pravda .com so he purchased pravduh .com on GoDaddy.

•••
If there is a CEO who has no time for anything, that is Elon Musk, so I highly doubt that he is "actively" hanging out at GD auctions if at all.

•••
If there is a CEO who has no time for anything, that is Elon Musk, so I highly doubt that he is "actively" hanging out at GD auctions if at all.

He doesn't live on GoDaddy but it takes 7 seconds to type a domain he might want. 30 seconds to put in your max bid.

No matter your life situation, you should not be sitting on GoDaddy auctions under your definition of "actively."

•••
It will definitely bolster some attention coming from this man.

CryptoCandy is a trash domain. The only reason why it sold for that price was the Elon Musk tie in, which was a joke anyways.

Remember "covfefe"?

•••
CryptoCandy is a trash domain. The only reason why it sold for that price was the Elon Musk tie in, which was a joke anyways.

Remember "covfefe"?

Don't get me started on covfefe haha.

Candy is a very enticing word. Especially the under 25 crowd that is more likely to pick up crypto than any other age group. To create a company with huge growth in the future you have to hook people while they're young.

Last edited:
•••
I'm just saying, it's not as factual as you say. His team? Yeah that's possible.

•••
I'm just saying, it's not as factual as you say. His team? Yeah that's possible.

I wouldn't have said it if all the information I've seen didn't point to my statement.

You can be a huge CEO and still have some time to do things you find entertaining. There was never a successful businessman that doesn't take a minute out of his work for enjoyment.

•••
I hear you and it would certainly be a nice thing to think that Elon is there at GD bidding against us, who knows he might as well be a namepros member, reading this pointless argument.
Anyway, I like CryptoCandy.com it's a nice two keyword brandable.

•••
i have codercandy.com if elon musk not can own cryptocandy , this is a similiar domain for a great startup.

•••
I wouldn't have said it if all the information I've seen didn't point to my statement.

You can be a huge CEO and still have some time to do things you find entertaining. There was never a successful businessman that doesn't take a minute out of his work for enjoyment.
It's captivating to consider. I'm interested in knowing what info leads you to this conclusion. I'm turn, because I think, like Trent that it's more likely he had his people take care of it, given how busy he is.

•••

Remember "covfefe"?
It was a joke, but ultimately one that reached hundreds of thousands of a captivated audience. I think there's at least some value in that. Fair?

•••
It's captivating to consider. I'm interested in knowing what info leads you to this conclusion. I'm turn, because I think, like Trent that it's more likely he had his people take care of it, given how busy he is.

I took a couple minutes and went back to the ones I saw this week. I see him saying stuff like this week in week out (for years).

Elon loves to do it all. He doesn't trust others to execute his ideas at the micro level and he has visions for nearly everything.

Attachments

• pravduh.png
    pravduh.png
    168.9 KB · Views: 52
  • yourerightcom.png
    yourerightcom.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 69
•••
I took a couple minutes and went back to the ones I saw this week. I see him saying stuff like this week in week out (for years).

Elon loves to do it all. He doesn't trust others to execute his ideas at the micro level and he has visions for nearly everything.
You're right, he does seem particularly hands on with his domains. Interesting, I hadn't seen those tweets.

•••
You're right, he does seem particularly hands on with his domains. Interesting, I hadn't seen those tweets.

We can all agree– Elon breaks the mold!

•••
•••
I saw CandyCrypto.com shuffling through GoDaddy Auctions this morning. Bid was only at ~$50

•••
I saw CandyCrypto.com shuffling through GoDaddy Auctions this morning. Bid was only at ~$50
It looks like it ended up selling for $102. A mere 1/15th of its analog.

•••
It looks like it ended up selling for $102. A mere 1/15th of its analog.

Not surprised. It's definitely the ugly sibling.

Not to mention, copied names never do as well compared to the original. (If they even sell at all)

•••
•••
•••
He's actually just reporting crypto related sales - it's not necessarily him who's the buyer!

Thank you for the correction.

Not sure what I thought at that moment, I was falling asleep at the wheel. I thought I saw "reporting"

Last edited:
•••
CryptoCandy.com is a very interesting brandable based on the data.

On NameBio there are some very strong sales for the word "candy". 222 sales.

However most sales seem to relate to "candy" in it's descriptive sense. For him, a good price, and I see CandyCrypto.com was picked up for less than $200.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back