IT.COM

E-Bay Scam? I got a weird email

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I know this is a scam but what exactly is he trying to get? I'm selling a package of 5 domains, the starting bid is $19.99 with only 14 hrs left. Here's his email:

Dear seller,
Am interesteimmediate purchase of this unit and i will be making
payment right away,i shall also be ready to pay you $2,000 with the biding amount and gift wrapper, through Western union Auction Payments (Bidpay Money Order) i like to ask if you would be able to ship as soon as payment is confirmed and approved by western union auction payments (money order Bidpay)?this is due to the fact that i want to send it to my closes friend, and i will want to complete the transaction in a very timely manner.if you can do this with me e-mail me with your name,contact address and your phone number so that i can proceed with payment right away,for the shipping i will handle the shipment via my FedEx shipment account number after payment.

Gift wrap a domain? lol Is this guy spamming this scam email?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Scam, NEVER do anything associated with Western Union unless they pay upfront....

•••
Colin is right...Western Union payments especially can be an easy target for fraud even the paper money orders have been used in the past to rip people off because they are fake or have insufficent funds. When accepting payment I recommend that you use a Unites States Postal Service money order which you can get at any post office because they are backed buy the gov. 100% but obviously you have to be a US Citizen to get them.

•••
western union/bidpay is OK, but the golden rule is that you do not release the product until the funds are in your account, not on their way/confirmed etc.

•••
There are ALOT of ebay scams going around at the mo.

Like anything in life if you have the money confirmed in your bank account, give them the goods. If not dont.

And NEVER send personal details to these kind of people.

If its not a scam they will find a way to pay for it for the good :imho:

•••
It's a scam. ask them to pay another way.

•••
Definate Scam - I once got an email like that asking if the domain was in "good condition" ! :lol:

•••
whats a domain gift wrap? lol

•••
gazzip said:
Definate Scam - I once got an email like that asking if the domain was in "good condition" ! :lol:

lol now thats funny :yell:

•••
I would have replied "Well friend it has been on the information super highway so it may have a few bumps and scratches but its still in great condition" :lol:

•••
Never ship anything until the cash is literally in the bank or in your hands :)
Also make sure if its PayPal that it is a verified account because there are lots of people using hacked accounts to send funds and then you're screwed

paypalsucks.com seems to have a lot of stories about how the victim becomes screwed again by PayPal :)

•••
They may be phishing for valid email to add to there lists.
Next you'll be asked to help their rich uncle transfer some money from nigerian account.
Don't reply!!
Please report to ebay to help rid of this scam.
J.K.

•••
CancerDailyDotCom said:
I would have replied "Well friend it has been on the information super highway so it may have a few bumps and scratches but its still in great condition" :lol:

:lol:

suntech said:
They may be phishing for valid email to add to there lists.
Next you'll be asked to help their rich uncle transfer some money from nigerian account.
Don't reply!!
Please report to ebay to help rid of this scam.
J.K.

Very True - If you own a Tiscali email account Watch Out, scammers/spammers have figure out how to send emails to you using for example -
sales@ tiscali.co.uk

The Nigerian Bank Fortune Offer is also a common one.

•••
Where did he get 2,000$ from? Your starting price is only 19.99$....Wow.....

Some people these days are just f***ing pathetic & are scumbags. Report his user ID to ebay support.

•••
CancerDailyDotCom said:
Did you at least allow him to "kick the Tires" a bit??? LOL .. also, ... 'cause this way, if hes there, and he likes the goods, then he can pay you on the spot ... and no worries of a bad money transaction ...

•••
Thats Must Be A Bot, A SpamBot Or SomeThing... Gift Wrap A Domain? Thats Just Wrong. NEVER Accept It

•••
i always see it as never ship any thing untill i can spend the money they sent..

•••
Yea, I dont send nothing unless I got the cash, this just struck me as very weird. These scammers arent even trying anymore lol, gift wrapping a domain name? crazy man

I've been getting a ton of scam emails lately too; nigerian scams, ebay scams, paypal scams, it seems no one is doing anything to stop these guys.

Hmm, maybe I was wrong lol...I just got an email from E-Bay

Dear:

Our records indicate that you recently sent an email to or received an email from smith_dan2 through the eBay email system (for example, you may have sent an email to this member through Ask Seller a Question or received an email from this member through Contact eBay Member).

Sometimes eBay accounts are used to send email solicitations for transactions outside of eBay, or to send unrelated questions in hopes that you will respond so that the other party can obtain your email address. We wanted you to be aware of the potential fraud risk these solicitations pose and encourage you to be cautious about the email you received from this member.

•••
I have a Domain name registered for the purpose limiting those scams. [email protected]
I've changed many of my whois records to reflect this.
I then added Email account with GoDaddy. Comes with virus, spam and phishing protection. Address book. Calendar are also useful for tracking expiring domains.
I then forward my mail from there to an Outlook account.
I also don't visibly post email address on forums.
J.K.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back