Dynadot

Dynadot Auction - Most Stupid Domain Auction House

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TadPole

Account Closed
Impact
I backordered a Pendingdelete domain at Dynadot. They caught it 3 days back and it went to Private Auction.
As it was my first experience with a Dynadot Auction, I waited and placed the high bid when there were 5 minutes left for ending. There was one more bidder who placed the bid on the first day itself.

I was watching the auction by refreshing the page. Suddenly at the time when there were 6 seconds left for auction end, another 3rd bidder came and outbid me. I quickly tried to place another bid, but could not do it and the auction closed immediately.
This was totally shocking for me. They allow Auction Sniping! I couldn't believe that such Stupid companies are existing in 2017.

Contacted their customer service, they simply told a sorry for my loss.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Exactly the reason I LOVE DYNADOT !!!! Because they are one of the few that allow sniping and there is no greater high for a non drug user than to grab an auction at the last second. Especially when all we have out here in the country for high speed is a 4G connection on a 4S hotspot.
I love you Dynadot. Please don't ever change this aspect of your auctions.
Sincerely,
A Loyal SuperBulk Customer......

•••
Have you tried proxy bidding? You can set your maximum amount and our system will automatically increase your bid by $1 as needed. It should help to mitigate negative experiences like the one you've described.

https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/how-to-proxy-bid
Who cares about proxy bidding? Whatever higher bid you place, it can get outbid at the last second. And you don't give time to place another bid. Injustice and non competence only, nothing else.

•••
If you have a max price you are prepared to pay and you place a proxy bid for your max price and lose to a snipe - then your max price wouldn't have won anyway - with or without sniping. If you max price is higher than any sniper is prepared to pay - then you win regardless if someone bids you up at the last second to just under your max - you still win.
For me - 5 minute auction extensions are unjust.
Rather lose to a fast connection and a sniper than hang around for hours bidding against someone who has nothing else to do but sit around and bid.

•••
What IS great about DD auctions are that they count towards bulk pricing.

Back when I did not have that many names there it was a great help to keep pricing competitive.

•••
I agree with @Jeff Weller on this one. I prefer an auction with an end time.

•••
i prefer dynadot auction with end time

•••
You win some, you lose some.
Now that you know sniping is encouraged - keep that triggerfinger ready.
I find it's a great way to compete with the big bulk buyers over at godaddy and namejet, as a smaller investor or starter - they will not be able to snipe effectively given their time allotments, unless they automate or use staff overhead.

Happy bidding :xf.grin:

•••
And. If we read your complaint correctly you also attempted a form of sniping by placing your bid at what you thought was the minimum amount of time left (5 minutes) before the auction would be extended (as it is on Pheenix, GoDaddy etc). So you are already a sniper in training - just not a last second one.

•••
The best thing about DynaDot auctions is that the auction time is not extended when somebody places a last second bid.

The worst thing about DynaDot auctions is that they let the owner renew the name after auctions have finished (for in-house expired domain auctions) - which happens 90% of the time after winning an expired name there, in my experience.

•••
The best thing about DynaDot auctions is that the auction time is not extended when somebody places a last second bid..

End of game, now they extend auction time if bid is placed in last minutes.

•••
They only extend it once though, so once it has extended it still leaves somebody to bid in the last couple seconds. The best way to win on dynadot is to use the proxy bid option and just bid the max your willing to pay.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back