NameSilo

DVDY.com expired @ Name.com BUT not purchasable !!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

emadpino

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys

Today i wish to share with you my recent experience to purchase an expired domain name from the expiring domains at Name.com

I saw the domain name DVDY.com 3 days ago in the expiring domains list at the price of $149.99 as i remember. i did not instantly buy it but waited another day, the price dropped to $74.99 it is when i made the decision to instantly buy and secure it for myself. here is what happened:

I added the domain to my cart and clicked to pay BUT the order failed with no obvious reason. however there was no any problem with my credit card used as confirmed later by my bank.

So i called Name.com but no answer of course as it is Xmas holiday, i emailed them hoping to get a quick response and in the same time i tried to place a new order for the same expired domain using Paypal balance, the same happened again, the order failed !! so the problem now relies at Name.com side not my payment side.

Yet i tried to buy another expired domain, order successful !! so there is a specific problem with this expired domain no payment problem no tech issues i guess.

Anyway i asked Name.com in my email for clarification and also asked them to place the order for me. here is their response:

name 1.jpg

SO i replied asking what did they mean by saying " domain has a client hold in place" ?
the domain is in the expired list and it should be instantly purchased like any other expired domain in their list. i just made another purchase for another expired domain and it went just fine!! Here is their response:

name 2.jpg

Forget about all the above, after this response from Name.com, i looked up the domain again in their expiring domains and guess what ? the domain DVDY.com is still there and its price has been reduced to $39.99 !!
dvdy.jpg

It means the domain is going through a normal process of the expiring domains on Name.com just like any other expiring domain in the list and there should be no problem to purchase it and have it instantly secured in your Name.com account.

BUT, based on their response, i am sure any future order for this domain will fail because it is somehow reserved ??!!

So what do you guys think ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I saw the domain too.
And I added it to my cart, i could not process further.
It said the domain is not available.

I tried again hours later, same happened.

•••
@Bearded Goat - Thanks for the behind the scenes story and congrats!

My irritation in this thread is directed at name, not you, this is not the first time I have experienced wonky dealings with them. Either they really are clueless, which makes me less confident in using their services, or they know what they are doing and they just like toying with people for their own amusement.

Every time they have some issue, I suggest they get a rep here and they always say they will pass that idea on to whoever, and yet still have done nothing.
</end name rant>

•••
I stayed up all night to buy this domain.. tried dozens of times using different credit cards.. but when I bought another domain there I realized that it's Name.com not allowing us to buy that specific LLLL.com while all other domains can be bought without trouble.. still after trying for 2 more days the order was unsuccessful and I thought the name will go to pending delete and it isn't worth wasting my time on this. When I came across this thread few hours ago I emailed Name.com and asked for explanation that why was this person allowed to buy the domain while several other investors weren't! They shouldn't even list a domain for sale if they don't want us to buy it. These :asshat: replied:

"We are unaware of the domain's availability and the issue regarding the domain's registration. At this time the domain has been registered and you would have to reach out to the registrant to further pursue the domain."

Really? All other domains can be successfully purchased but this specific LLLL.com which are very valuable these days cannot be purchased. Even if @Bearded Goat was not involved with this shit, it's clear as day that Name.com purposefully put the domain on hold and they're just acting like they don't know wtf happened.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
good clarification because i have had similar experiences that resolved after retrying.

•••
All I can say is that I have experienced the client hold issue many times as I have purchased a large numbers of domains at name.com. So far with only .com and .net. I have no explanation why the domain or any domain would be placed on hold. Perhaps they can give more detail. I know it is very frustrating to see a domain you want and not be able to purchase it. Repeating....strange luck. I had not even seen the domain before that day.

•••
NO Glitch guys, it was clientHold, which is set by name.com. I emailed to tell them that they could chose to release that hold before it went into RGP, because once it hits RGP the registrar (name.com) does not have control. It would have gone into RGP on 31 December. So the smart thing to do if you are name.com is to release the hold, then at least the name stays at name for the time being, unless the new owner transfers away. Also retained the creation date of 2001

So name.com arbitrarily released the clientHold earlier today and it was grabbed 2016-12-27 18:31:08 UTC Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Our compliance team made the ultimate decision to remove the hold.

the main question was why was the domain on hold at the first place

I know this thread is over two years old, and the details might be hazy at this point. But given how I stumbled upon this thread, I was wondering, could the hold on DVDY.com have been related to a legal dispute?

When searching the WHOIS status: https://icann.org/epp#clientHold

upload_2019-2-21_2-8-17.png

When DVDY.com transferred from eNom to Name.com in 2011, the new WHOIS showed George S. Canellos as the registrant using a
[email protected] email for several months.

Here's where the eyebrow starts to raise...

Why would George S. Canellos, the director of the SEC's New York Regional Office, register DVDY.com with SEC address information in the WHOIS, yet use a @Hotmail.com email address?

upload_2019-2-21_2-24-15.png

Later, DVDY.com changes WHOIS email registrants from [email protected] to [email protected].

upload_2019-2-21_3-11-27.png

Which leads to how I stumbled upon this thread two years later (while investigating the allegation of Monday.com being stolen)...

MONDAY.com was registered to [email protected] (eNom) on June 2nd, 2016. The next day, June 3rd, 2016, Monday.com was transferred to [email protected] (GoDaddy).

JUNDOSH.com was registered to [email protected] in 2016. FWIW: JUNDOSS.com was and/or is also registered to [email protected].

https://twitter.com/andrewrosener/status/1097794340171276288
upload_2019-2-21_3-7-22.png

The point being, if there was some questionable or suspicious activity coming from [email protected] account: the suspected previous owner of DVDY.com prior to this NAME.com expired auction fiasco -- or even the prior account: [email protected] which used the info of a SEC office in their WHOIS entry -- then this might have been what prompted the HOLD.

The HOLD might have been put place around: 2015-01-22T23:33:50-07:00Z ... as there didn't appear to be a hold present in a December 22, 2014 WHOIS entry.

upload_2019-2-21_3-22-42.png

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back