Dominion.Domains

Duck Duck Go founder asks Google to sell them Duck.com

Labeled as domains in Domain Industry News started by equity78, Jul 21, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. equity78

equity78 Top Member TLDInvestors.com TheDomains Staff PRO Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

So there was an interesting article on CNET today about Duck.com. Google acquired the domain back in 2010 when they acquired ON2. But there is confusion, most people when they hear duck and search think of Duck Duck Go. When people typed in Duck.com they went to Google.com. Duck Duck Go did not like that. So Google decided to make some changes and provide a link to their rival search engine, … [Read more...]

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Addison

Addison Established Member

Google will not sell Duck.com to Duck²Go. It'd make Google's competitor, DuckDuckGo, prominently more attractive and easy to access. I'd use it if I could type duck.com to access their website but I won't type duckduckgo.com (sorry!). (n)

3. Arca

Arca Active Member VIP

I love DuckDuckGo! They're my go to search engine and I make dozens of queries through them daily.

Hardly use Google at all anymore, thanks to DDG. Glad that there is an option to the tracking, data harvesting MO of Google. And as a domainer, I hate Google's war on domains (Google are against domains because direct navigation is the one way people can bypass Google, hence they are slowly chipping away on people's dependence and trust in domains).

I wish Google would sell Duck.com to them, as DuckDuckGo is not a good enough name to achieve mainstream acceptance and usage, but I don't see them helping a competitor like DDG (unless they want to soften the image that they practically have a search engine monopoly?).

4. Arca

Arca Active Member VIP

My browsers' address bar yields a duckduckgo search query by default.

You can also set up duckduckgo as an alternative search engine in most browsers, so that when you type in a query there will be a duckduck go icon that you can click on it to get DDG search results rather than results from what is the default search engine.

5. Haris

Haris Best Domainer Of The End-Times VIP

you can use duck.co

6. robert widener

robert widener Established Member

never heard of DUCKDUCKGO

7. NamesCost

NamesCost Established Member

Its great with out so much tracking G tracking... kinda

8. MS-Domains

MS-Domains Established Member

I guarantee you very few have heard of Duck Duck Go outside of the US.

Even if they do buy Duck, you, your mother, or your wife will not "Duck a recipe" you'll "google a recipe".

not too many are familiar with privacy issues etc..

9. Cal2

Cal2 Established Member

I'm not sure if 'Duck' would be a best choice for moving DDG into mainstream. 'Duck it' doesn't seem to work like 'Google it' does. But then maybe 'Duck it' could be quirky enough that it might catch on? (Also sounds a lot like '*uck it', which might, or might not, help.)

A short, memorable word/made up word that could come to be used, could come to stand for, the category of non-tracking searches....

10. NamesCost

I "google" on duck duck go
    Let's retire google so its just a verb ;)

Yeah DDG needs a rebrand.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  11. NamesCost

Great reminders!

12. Furquah

Furquah The Captain

50% direct traffic go to Duck.com, as people still won't forget to add "com" at the end.

13. iMedia.co

iMedia.co Established Member

I don't think they have a chance. Microsoft tired it with Bing.com & couldn't do anything against google. It's imprinted in people's mind. Google replaced the word search. No one says I am searching for this n that instead I am googling...

14. NamesCost

Again lets keep the verb and dump the company.

People will wake up to the fact that they should not let an AD company be their search engine.

Western society woke up from some bad medicine with the realization that prescribing and dispensing should not be preformed by the same entity.

How long it will take us to figure that out online?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  15. Addison

Addison Established Member

Superb point! It sounds like, "f*ck it." :nailbiting:

"I can't find _________."
    "Did you try ducking it?" :ROFL:

16. NamesCost

Use of the verb google does not mean we have to use google the site ;)

One thing I hate about duck duck go in comparison to google is they did not include the time based results further back than a month, while Google includes a custom range and a one year option on the quick menu... .... what the duck? fix it duck.co!

17. panman

panman Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

It's an issue that a search engine company like Duck Duck Go has on its hands. The word duck is generic in nature & the domain will be difficult to obtain, but I hope they do!

It's interesting that google is now forwarding Duck.com as a multiple choice option, maybe to their (google) benefit!?

I do think the word 'Duck' on its own could be branded well as a search engine, just as much as people
    -'FaceBook',
    -'Apple' their computers,
    -'google' or 'yahoo' their queries.

18. urlurl

urlurl Active Member VIP

never heard of ddc until now

19. myfavorite

myfavorite Established Member

Same here. Very first time of hearing DDG. The whole thing may be a way to advertising themselves with Google included means more exposure.

20. Premiums

Premiums Find.Ventures - Domains For Startups VIP

i like DDG search results:xf.cool::-P:xf.smile:

upload_2018-7-26_16-43-13.png

21. Cal2

Cal2 Established Member

22. myfavorite

myfavorite Established Member

But it may not have a universal appeal especially for a company that wants to grow worldwide.

This is my first time of hearing that phrase and the story behind it.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: