IT.COM

question Dropped 500+ nGTLD over the past 4 months what about you?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

decode

Established Member
Impact
Dropped 500+ nGTLD over the past 4 months what about you?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I dropped all new gTLDs I've ever registered (about 20 of them).
Guess there was no market for onlineshop.technology or motorboat.today :]

•••
I've just started registering nGTLD. From the stats on namebio, I think some of them still sell. Like the rule of thumb...at least for this moment...if you're going to invest in nGTLD, make it a one-word...dictionary word

•••
I might be dropping some of my .shop names, like keydrive.shop, ijet.shop and DrumKit.shop

But i think i will be keeping hold of my one word .cam names, like Prank.cam, Everest.cam, Harbour.cam

•••
With $30 renewals - bold move.

•••
Appreciate you admitting you dropped 500 ngTLDs.

Don't feel bad. You are not the only one. There will be more drops! :)
namestat october 16th.png
ntldstats october 16th.png

•••
@Adam27 thanks for the stats. Amazing to see the cliff on the graph of deleted new gTLD.

•••
I bought around 100 of new gTLDs in last 4-6 month and dropped around 20 of them :)
One needs to constantly refine the portfolio.

Last edited:
•••
Had 1200 to 1500 names - dropped alot sold many , didnt renew slot alot, back to 10 names

•••
•••
Here is the thing Year 1 you get the PROMO price, Year 2 renewal you get the $15-$40 renewal bill, hence the drop.

Since you don't see many new extensions coming out, there is no advertising, not much buzz either, nor are the registries pumping them to much as they have 99 cent+ promo pricing, so not much meat on the subsidized bone.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Its a bad news for domain industry.

Cheap names - dear renewal

•••
The biggest drop that I had so far was with .xyz, 400+ domains.
If the renewal rates were more attractive probably I would keep them,
so far I'm $800+ loss with this ngTLD, but I've learned a lot. :)

Happy domining y'all! ✌

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back