IT.COM

opinion Dropcatch.com system. No way to prove a backorder was ever placed.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Hello,
I like Dropcatch.com but lately they have been missing backorders to Netsol. And also their system where the only record you have that you ever ordered a backorder with them is only noted within your account in the buying activity section which sometimes never gets recorded or goes missing. Not Good.

So when your domain does not get caught by them and ends up in Netsol dropcatch services or others.
You have no proof you ever ordered a Backorder with them.

As big as Dropcatch.com is, why hasn't their team added a feature where every backorder that is ordered gets a simple confirmation email sent to the user confirming the backorder for a domain was ordered? That way there is proof the backorder was ever ordered.

The way the system is now it's your word against Dropcatch.com's that you ever backordered a domain.

It all falls on you. That somehow you forgot to order the backorder? and then you ask yourself. Did I forget to order the backorder? I mean I know I ordered a backorder.

I don't like how it ends up looking like I forgot to order a backorder on a domain I wanted. You feel stupid.

meantime the "conspiracy" guy in me thinks this set up is ripe for frontrunning domain drops.

Think about it. You find a good domain that's dropping. You order a dropcatch from dropcatch.com effectively "tipping" them off on a good domain name.

And then "MAYBE" they just wipe off the domain from your "buying activity" and then use a different dropcatch service to grab the domain on drop.

In this scenario whoever it is grabs a great domain and you did all the work. if this is actually happening. I have no proof but if it was they would be effectively be cherry picking backorder orders.

Sure this could simply be a simple mistake on my part and I forgot to order backorders for these domains but the way the system is set up there really is no way to prove you did or did not order a backorder.

The system needs to be automated. So that no workers at dropcatch can see what domains are backordered and cherry pick from it and make backorders disappeared from the buying activity.

The system needs to send out a backorder confirmation to the user so that no one knows as it is instant.

Sure they could just not send out emails but I'd just feel better that this system was set in place.

not accusing anyone but I don't like that the way the system is set up right now that there is room for doubt and suspicion.

It does not sit to well with me that I have no proof that I ever ordered a backorder with Dropcatch when I know for sure that I did.

this has happened a couple times already with Dropcatch.com and I let it slide but it's happening too frequently now.

recently I order 3 backorders. 1 was missed. the other 2? there is no record the backorders were ever place.
1 domain ended up deleting. lucky for me it was available for reg so I reg it

The other one which was the best out of the 3 got caught by netsol.

They missed several domains already. don't even let me start with those

At least those have a record in my Buying activity list.

Just automate the process Dropcatch. so there are no doubts.

@DropCatch Support

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello,

I am an engineer with DropCatch and I wanted to reach out. All backorders missed or caught should be recorded in your backorder activity within your account. In no instance do we remove backorders you have placed from that report.

If you feel that is occurring in your account I would love to further investigate because once placed the record should always remain in your buying activity within your account. The backorder record will move from the active buying tab to the buying activity history within your account, but nonetheless, the record should always exist. If you are experiencing alternative behavior I would appreciate it if you would DM me your account name and some examples so I can look into what you are experiencing.

Thank you
Natalie
The DropCatch Team

•••
When they miss it you don't get an email "we missed these"?

•••
Hello,

NetSol have a backorder services?

•••
Ok. I thought @WhoaDomain.com was just being forgetful but I just experienced the same thing just moments ago.

I BOed a domain using discount, I alt-tabbed to do something else (which took long enough to make Dropcatch.com auto-log out), logged back in and domain was gone from my list.

I think OP is onto something here.

•••
Ok. I thought @WhoaDomain.com was just being forgetful but I just experienced the same thing just moments ago.

I BOed a domain using discount, I alt-tabbed to do something else (which took long enough to make Dropcatch.com auto-log out), logged back in and domain was gone from my list.

I think OP is onto something here.
Hello,

Would you mind sending me a DM with your username and the domain. I would love to get to the bottom of this issue and ensure that a backorder was placed on the domain on your behalf.

Thank you,
Natalie
The Dropcatch Team

•••
Hello,

Would you mind sending me a DM with your username and the domain. I would love to get to the bottom of this issue and ensure that a backorder was placed on the domain on your behalf.

Thank you,
Natalie
The Dropcatch Team

I re-added the domain and checked it multiple times so that's done.

I tried to remember the steps I took or maybe recall anything that might help and I think it has to do with how Dropcatch auto-logs out in the backend without making it apparent to the user.

I'm mentioning this because there are times where, while navigating through the site, I suddenly find myself looking at the log screen and getting the feeling that the last actions I took were made without being logging in.

It is possible that, while the user thinks they are logged-in, in reality the system has logged them out just a few seconds before the last actions were taken (eg. just before the confirmation of a backorder placed?)

Still,
I will DM my username and the domain but I don't think those 'lost' actions were logged anywhere so there will be nothing to see.

thanks for the quick response.. especially on a weekend.

•••

I tried to remember the steps I took or maybe recall anything that might help and I think it has to do with how Dropcatch auto-logs out in the backend without making it apparent to the user.

I'm mentioning this because there are times where, while navigating through the site, I suddenly find myself looking at the log screen and getting the feeling that the last actions I took were made without being logging in.

It is possible that, while the user thinks they are logged-in, in reality the system has logged them out just a few seconds before the last actions were taken (eg. just before the confirmation of a backorder placed?)

Still,
I will DM my username and the domain but I don't think those 'lost' actions were logged anywhere so there will be nothing to see.

Even if it isn't appearing on the ui, I will be able to verify the submission on the database side.

I appreciate your explanation and guess at what is going on. I can help you over the weekend with any verification of backorder submitted and will get my team together first thing Monday morning to review and see if we can trace and correct this behavior.

We really appreciate you bringing it to our attention and providing any information you can. I will contact you via email on any updates as we dig into your reported experience. I may also contact you with follow up questions.

Thank you again.
Natalie
The DropCatch Team

•••
The emails get sent to you after the name drops not before. They always let you know what happened. Having a pre email doesn’t up your chances of getting a domain. Many other parties in this zone are trying for the same names and its not weird anymore for DropCatch to be beat. Move on to the next name and order at more than one place for comparison.

•••
I'm regularly using DC since 6 months but I'm not receiving the "DropCatch Backorder Results" and "DropCatch.com Order Receipt" email anymore since one month. I suppose that DC has changed his way to notify the results.

•••

Still,

This happens occasionally with dropcatch but I am sure this did not happen with me. How would dropcatch tell me I backordered a domain if clearly I am logged out. This would not happen if I was logged out right? Or no? Rationally I would be asked to login prior to completing my Backorder.

Also some sites like especially @Dynadot where if say I'm bulking registering domains suddenly while having say 10 domains in my cart I am logged out and my entire cart is empty.

I log back in and of course three tries to login it for some reason as I could forget my password the I've been typing for years?

Once logged in my cart is still empty. But that's a different story.

I'll pm you @Natalie Lynch.

•••
•••
This happens occasionally with dropcatch but I am sure this did not happen with me. How would dropcatch tell me I backordered a domain if clearly I am logged out.

You are very correct BUT my assumption is based on the fact that there are things happening while we are logged out.
Let me give yet another example:

-I let my account idle for x period of time

-After a considerable amount of time, and while watching my account (which most probably is logged out), I suddenly see the cart getting filled with a domain and a notice appearing that I should pay it.

-Everytime I have clicked the cart at that particular time I'm being requested to log-in since the system informs me that I'm logged out

How can the cart gets filled automatically by the system while my account is logged out?

I'm very positive that something is not synced properly between the frontend and the backend hence why I believe there is a chance that the same thing happens when we backorder domains.
ie. we get the 'backorder successful' message in the frontend but in the backend nothing happens

Last edited:
•••
You are very correct BUT my assumption is based on the fact that there are things happening while we are logged out.
Let me give yet another example:

-I let my account idle for x period of time

-After a considerable amount of time, and while watching my account (which most probably is logged out), I suddenly see the cart getting filled with a domain and a notice appearing that I should pay it.

-Everytime I have clicked the cart at that particular time I'm being requested to log-in since the system informs me that I'm logged out

How can the cart gets filled automatically by the system while my account is logged out?

I'm very positive that something is not synced properly between the frontend and the backend hence why I believe there is a chance that the same thing happens when we backorder domains.
ie. we get the 'backorder successful' message in the frontend but in the backend nothing happens

I see I see. if this is actually happening then even more reason that like I said. Dropcatch after each backorder should send a confirmation email per order for full transparency and to eliminate all doubt and suspicion.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back