IT.COM

Dropcatch.com stole my backordered domain !?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I backordered a domain using the dropcatch.com service

the domain was caught by them

suddenly they removed my backorder from history after they caught the domain i was the only bidder

Also they wrote ""Lost - Partner"" which is a new status its either caught - missed or auction

LD3tbfs.jpg

So be warned if they like your domain they will steal it from you !!!

i think in few days i will see the domain listed in hugedomains.com forsale

Shame on you Dropcatch i thought its an honest service like NameJet.com

not only they spy on you they will take your domain if they like it

there was zero backorder on this domain and i added my backorder 5 minutes before dead time

never give this company your hard searched names again they will stole it from you

Very unprofessional company will never use again

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Platform doesn't work. I registered today to bid on around 10 domain names, all $10, I verified my account, verified, pone #, email, added credit card, added funds, then tried bidding all morning and got the same error ""We're sorry, an unknown error occurred placing bids."
Shady company.

•••
@brianbrytus - Were you using their Discount Club? You must use their full priced $59 backorders. Otherwise you haven't read their ToS. Which allows them to compete with you for your backorders. Guess who wins :(

Last edited:
•••
@brianbrytus - Were you using their Discount Club? You must use their full priced $59 backorders. Otherwise you haven't read their ToS. Which allows them to compete with you for your backorders. Guess who wins :(

So, in essence, the discount club is 100% useless? They use it as a ploy to feed info to themselves so they don't have to sift through thousands of domains every day. If someone backorders a domain, they take a glance and if they think it has any value at all, they will take it.

But if the name is worthless, they will let you have it. So it's a lose-lose situation. They will only let you get worthless names. If the name is worthless, it can be re-registered manually because no one will catch it. In conclusion, the discount club is literally worthless.

Is this about right?

•••
So, in essence, the discount club is 100% useless? They use it as a ploy to feed info to themselves so they don't have to sift through thousands of domains every day. If someone backorders a domain, they take a glance and if they think it has any value at all, they will take it.

But if the name is worthless, they will let you have it. So it's a lose-lose situation. They will only let you get worthless names. If the name is worthless, it can be re-registered manually because no one will catch it. In conclusion, the discount club is literally worthless.

Is this about right?

Yep. That is about right.

But I would say that they work tirelessly to pick the domains they register. So it may just be a coincidence that you both backorder the same domain. It's just in the event that you both backorder the same domain. They win, and you lose. This only applies to Discount Club backorders. If you place a full $59 backorder on a domain, they are precluded from placing a backorder on that domain. But I wouldn't put it past them having a program to overview all Discount Club backorders. Just in case they might have missed a domain worth registering :)

There's nothing underhand about what they are doing. It's specifically spelled out clearly in their ToS.

Last edited:
•••
Yep. That is about right.

But I would say that they work tirelessly to pick the domains they register. So it may just be a coincidence that you both backorder the same domain. It's just in the event that you both backorder the same domain. They win, and you lose. This only applies to Discount Club backorders. If you place a full $59 backorder on a domain, they are precluded from placing a backorder on that domain. But I wouldn't put it past them having a program to overview all Discount Club backorders. Just in case they might have missed a domain worth registering :)

There's nothing underhand about what they are doing. It's specifically spelled out clearly in their ToS.

You're right, it's probably just a coincidence.

But the fact still remains that discount backorders are absolutely useless because:

1) if the domain has value - you don't get it
2) if the domain has no value - you get it...but it has no value

•••
You're right, it's probably just a coincidence.

But the fact still remains that discount backorders are absolutely useless because:

1) if the domain has value - you don't get it
2) if the domain has no value - you get it...but it has no value

1) You might get it if HD haven't backordered it :)

•••
I've learned to live with huge domains, I've bought 3 domains from them between 1.8k and 3k each.

In all three cases I was well researched with an end user and placed the domain for a 5k profit.
I find it quite reasonable to get domains from them as opposed to anything owned by afternic. I was trying to get a domain from afternic (owned by them) and they stuck at 26k. I managed to find one at huge domain for under 2k that was very similar in value.

Use Huge Domain as a tool and you can make money, you just have to know who your potential end user is.

Of course you also have to know how to sell to the end user. :xf.wink:

•••
Had a domain I was trying to catch with SnapNames it looks like it got caught by DropCatch, do you guys suggest to use both of these to go after desirable domains?

•••
a very nasty thing happened to me 2 days ago, very bad experience, I want to post my story but found I can't post links even I remove all links lol, thats because I am new to forum?

•••
I backordered a domain using the dropcatch.com service
the domain was caught by them...""Lost - Partner""
Your the only "lost partner" in this story, learn how drops and different drop services work :)

•••
Hi, this post is old i know but always interesting. Does anyone know if drop catch is still doing this is July 2019?

I have a new related question....

When it comes to back orders, do people know here...

i can back order a many domains on go daddy or crazy domains etc for just $10 (in australia) ....

i am wondering which is priority? normal registars like godaddy and namepros?

or is the priority with place like namejet and dropcatch?

im not surw what all the terminlogy is, but if i know or suspect a domain will expire on september 01st 2019, do i back order it with drop catch or a normal register like godaddy?

im sure this is a typical question right? sorry. new to this.

•••
Hi, this post is old i know but always interesting. Does anyone know if drop catch is still doing this is July 2019?

I have a new related question....

When it comes to back orders, do people know here...

i can back order a many domains on go daddy or crazy domains etc for just $10 (in australia) ....

i am wondering which is priority? normal registars like godaddy and namepros?

or is the priority with place like namejet and dropcatch?

im not surw what all the terminlogy is, but if i know or suspect a domain will expire on september 01st 2019, do i back order it with drop catch or a normal register like godaddy?

im sure this is a typical question right? sorry. new to this.

If it is a domain you want then you should backorder it at DropCatch, which has a probability of catching the domain approx 70% (my guess) of the time, as opposed to any other registrar or drop-catcher which only has a remaining 30% for everybody else, combined. We can argue about the percentage, but they certainly have at least 50% of the market. So, going anywhere else is a risk. The problem with DropCatch, is if more than 1 person backorders the domain, then it goes to an open auction which anybody can join in. Most other dropcatchers, the domain goes to a closed auction for the actual backorder-ers only.

Basically, you are wasting your time and effort placing backorders at GoDaddy. They won't beat the big three DropCatch, SnapNames, NameJet. Leaving them with only a tiny sliver of the dropcatch market. From my testing, admittedly 1-2yrs old. GoDaddy could not even beat a hand-reg at GoDaddy. Something seriously wrong with their algorithms, IMHO.

So be realistic. If it's a domain you want. Backorder it at Drop Catch first, and then add backorders at SnapNames/NameJet. If there are other bidders, then you are going to pay more for it at DropCatch.

•••
ok. im slowly learning....

i see what ur saying.

would it be correct to say though...

if i go to who is and investigate which registar currently has a domain..

and then, lets say there is a domain that ibreally want and it is with godaddy, then, in theory, if i pay ,$10 or so to backnorder it with go daddy, then they would get the first right to it, before a drop catcher can pick it up.

is this theoretically correct to a degree?

I guess if it was correct then everybody would be finding out who the Domain is currently with and then pressing back order through that company directly so therefore I'm suspecting that my theory is not correct after all.

•••
ok. im slowly learning....

i see what ur saying.

would it be correct to say though...

if i go to who is and investigate which registar currently has a domain..

and then, lets say there is a domain that ibreally want and it is with godaddy, then, in theory, if i pay ,$10 or so to backnorder it with go daddy, then they would get the first right to it, before a drop catcher can pick it up.

is this theoretically correct to a degree?

I guess if it was correct then everybody would be finding out who the Domain is currently with and then pressing back order through that company directly so therefore I'm suspecting that my theory is not correct after all.

If the domain is registered at GoDaddy, and you place a backorder on the domain, as far as I remember, the backorder is placed as a bid in the auction. Which highlights it's desirability. So expect competition. But I'm a tad foggy on the exact details. Things may have changed. If it's after 45 days expired, it's a waste of time, because the domain will drop, and a GoDaddy backorder won't cut it for any desirable domain. I'd go even farther, and say if you win the domain with a GoDaddy backorder, it was probably a waste of money and energy placing the backorder in the first place.

I'm not 100% sure I'm up-to-date with how GoDaddy handles backorders with their auctions. Perhaps somebody else can confirm.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back