Dynadot

Dropcatch.com stole my backordered domain !?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I backordered a domain using the dropcatch.com service

the domain was caught by them

suddenly they removed my backorder from history after they caught the domain i was the only bidder

Also they wrote ""Lost - Partner"" which is a new status its either caught - missed or auction

LD3tbfs.jpg

So be warned if they like your domain they will steal it from you !!!

i think in few days i will see the domain listed in hugedomains.com forsale

Shame on you Dropcatch i thought its an honest service like NameJet.com

not only they spy on you they will take your domain if they like it

there was zero backorder on this domain and i added my backorder 5 minutes before dead time

never give this company your hard searched names again they will stole it from you

Very unprofessional company will never use again

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yesterday few of domains that I had in DropCatch Discount Club were caught by DropCatch and are now with HugeDomains. If I check WHOIS, it clearly says: "This domain was caught by DropCatch.com".
In my DC dashboard it dispalys "Lost - Partner" and when I click on the domain, a DC page comes up that says "This domain is currently available on HugeDomains.com".
But it's not there yet, I think it takes like 3-5 days or so.
My other domains that went though the same routine and were caught by DropCatch a week or so ago (still under "Lost - Partner" thing) are now with HugeDomains. Dispalyed there nicely and clearly.

You obviously haven't read DropCatch's ToS. It clearly states there that a Discount Club backorder doesn't protect you from the ravages of their affiliates. Namely Huge Domains. You need to use a full priced backorder in order to prevent any of the DropCatch/HugeDomains group of companies from going after your drop catches. There's one born every minute. If you don't read their ToS, even God himself can't help you.

They have clearly outlined their policy in their post above.

Last edited:
•••
This happens when you use their discount club. I don't use it there's no point anything of value huge domains with steal. The only way around this is to use other backorder services or fork out the 59 bucks for thier better service

•••
This happens when you use their discount club. I don't use it there's no point anything of value huge domains with steal. The only way around this is to use other backorder services or fork out the 59 bucks for thier better service

they never stated that when i signed up for their discount club

also they should not compete with bidders like they do in auctions too

they won a $20 domain and lost a customer with many domains that i will transfer on renewal time

very stupid business approach Godaddy once competed with customers in their auction listings later they gave up this habit at the end when they discovered they actually lose customers who are unhappy and mad at them.

•••
Backorders placed through DropCatch are set up to prioritize our customers, which is why regular priced backorder always take priority over discount club and partner backorders, however the discount club backorders have last priority. This means that any regular or partner backorders are honored first. Additionally, all partner backorders are subject to the same cut off time as all standard and discount club backorders, and partners are not eligible to participate in auctions.

DropCatch does not provide any backorder information on domains, so you cannot know what domains were backorder through our platform by other users and this extends to partners. This is done to protect our customer’s backorder selections. Furthermore, we do not use your backorder data for any other purpose than attempting to capture the domain name for you. The partner backorder list is subject to the same time cut off and limitations as any other account, meaning they must have daily backorders submitted by 11:45 AM MST, and have no knowledge of any backorders placed by other users. Regular backorders always take priority over partner backorders and discount club backorders, and is a great tool to use if you really want the domain name.

The Discount Club is a widely utilized tool with in the DropCatch platform for securing domains for a variety of reasons, enabling you the ability to name your own price [$15-$58], to ensure you aren’t paying a penny more than you want to on that domain. For full priority information on our Discount Club back order, check out our blog!

I am sorry to hear you did not have a good first experience with us, however, we are always happy to work with users to the best of our abilities to ensure you are receiving the best experience you can, so please reach out in the future, and let us know what we can do better. While we may not be able to change how a current backorder turned out, we appreciate customer feedback! If you have any questions about regular or discount club backorders, we are happy to answer them for you!

•••
They did not steal your domain name. If you want to place a regular back order like with Snap you have to pay the full price. If you want to place a discount back order then regular back orders and partners will beat you to the domain. You get what you pay for.

•••
Till a month back, if a discount backorder is placed on a domain and if it is caught by DC just for you, it would appear immediately in your cart after it was caught.

Nowadays, it appears not before 2 hours(apx).

Small difference in their approach, but reduces customers trust in them. Imo..

•••
they never stated that when i signed up for their discount club

Actually, this is something they had disclosed before. My exact thinking when I first saw their statement about getting the domain backordered to their "partners" instead of the person who backordered it was: "I will never get anything of value if I use the discount club", just as imadoer states. To me, it makes very little sense to use this discount option.

Last edited:
•••
I backordered backplane.org and 3 others through DropCatch.com with their promotional rate yesterday. Whois records show that DropCatch did, in fact, catch the domains, but I received notification that they "missed" catching the domains, so I received nothing. What's going on?

•••
That's insane, I've been using Dropcatch discount club service for long time, and I was very happy, and this improve my business. Nowadays, It's rare when I get a name. In the past, I was able to get decent of names, and now 3 or 4 domains per month.

I personally don't like how Dropcatch treat us as customers, Huge domains kill our business, and i'm very surprised why they do that.

If really huge domains smell our names, and try to catch them, Dropcatch should shutdown their discount club forever. Dropcatch favor the company, and if Huge domains is a partner, I would like to be a partner too.

That's because of the money Huge domains offer to them.

Dropcatch was my favorite service, and now, it's the time to move on.

•••
I've learned to live with huge domains, I've bought 3 domains from them between 1.8k and 3k each.

In all three cases I was well researched with an end user and placed the domain for a 5k profit.
I find it quite reasonable to get domains from them as opposed to anything owned by afternic. I was trying to get a domain from afternic (owned by them) and they stuck at 26k. I managed to find one at huge domain for under 2k that was very similar in value.

Use Huge Domain as a tool and you can make money, you just have to know who your potential end user is.

Of course you also have to know how to sell to the end user. :xf.wink:

•••
This will happen all day long, forever, if you use their discount service. I'm sure it's in their ToS. As @imadoer stated above. Caveat Emptor.

•••
does huge domains own drop catch?

•••
I've read their ToS and did read the post above.
Just wanted to remind it's ongoing thing.
And more importanly, that it's not the Partner these domains went to but to the same company, so they caught that for themself. People that don't know DropCatch/HugeDomains was the same company would think giving it to "partner" company would be fine. I think DropCatch should be more clear on this topic.
And not when questions are asked in here but inside DropCatch itself.
If it was clearly shown and stated you wouldn't get questions like urlulr was asking above, if huge domains owns drop catch.
Just my opinion.

In the first paragraph of DropCatch Support post. Say's all you need to know about how they operate, and they have never stated this is up for review. So that's how it is. Get used to it, and use full priced backorders, which specifically excludes Huge Domains from participation in those dropcatches or subsequent auctions.

DropCatch Support said:
Backorders placed through DropCatch are set up to prioritize our customers, which is why regular priced backorder always take priority over discount club and partner backorders, however the discount club backorders have last priority. This means that any regular or partner backorders are honored first. Additionally, all partner backorders are subject to the same cut off time as all standard and discount club backorders, and partners are not eligible to participate in auctions.

Discount Club backorders have the lowest priority of all DropCatch backorders. Says all you really need to know.

A simple browser search would probably show they are owned by the same company in under a minute. In fact I entered the search term "who owns dropcatch.com and hugedomains.com". The third item in the results was a blog from TheDomains.com. The first paragraph stated this...

TheDomains.com said:
According to a press release out today, TurnCommerce Inc., operators of NameBright.com (an ICANN accredited domain name registrar), HugeDomains.com (a domain name aftermarket), and DropCatch.com (a domain back-order service) announced the launch of Expire.com, a Dutch-style auction service that will sell between 15 and 30 premium domain names per day on a first-come first-served basis.
. This took less than 10 seconds to look up.

•••
You mean Huge(r)Domains. They are now at 2.7 million domain names under management.

•••
Yup. hard to trust with the 2 hour delay. specially with most of the domain gets "pulled" by the partner.
http://prntscr.com/fdas8i. I've stopped using discount to backorder and i suggest others reading this to do the same. It's pointless, you're just getting dropcatch looking at your domain and thinking "hmm.. do i want to keep this domain"... and 9/10 times .....they do.

•••
If you owned huge domains and DropCatch..... why would you let a customer snatch up a good domain name?

If they did that they would be a disservice to huge domains...... think smart ppl!

•••
If you owned huge domains and DropCatch..... why would you let a customer snatch up a good domain name?

If they did that they would be a disservice to huge domains...... think smart ppl!
Exactly if they own the company which is same as other customers, they will favor the company

•••
Dropcatch.com stole ("domain name was captured for HugeDomains.com") my backordered domain on February 2017.

•••
@brianbrytus - Were you using their Discount Club? You must use their full priced $59 backorders. Otherwise you haven't read their ToS. Which allows them to compete with you for your backorders. Guess who wins :(

Last edited:
•••
Hi, this post is old i know but always interesting. Does anyone know if drop catch is still doing this is July 2019?

I have a new related question....

When it comes to back orders, do people know here...

i can back order a many domains on go daddy or crazy domains etc for just $10 (in australia) ....

i am wondering which is priority? normal registars like godaddy and namepros?

or is the priority with place like namejet and dropcatch?

im not surw what all the terminlogy is, but if i know or suspect a domain will expire on september 01st 2019, do i back order it with drop catch or a normal register like godaddy?

im sure this is a typical question right? sorry. new to this.

If it is a domain you want then you should backorder it at DropCatch, which has a probability of catching the domain approx 70% (my guess) of the time, as opposed to any other registrar or drop-catcher which only has a remaining 30% for everybody else, combined. We can argue about the percentage, but they certainly have at least 50% of the market. So, going anywhere else is a risk. The problem with DropCatch, is if more than 1 person backorders the domain, then it goes to an open auction which anybody can join in. Most other dropcatchers, the domain goes to a closed auction for the actual backorder-ers only.

Basically, you are wasting your time and effort placing backorders at GoDaddy. They won't beat the big three DropCatch, SnapNames, NameJet. Leaving them with only a tiny sliver of the dropcatch market. From my testing, admittedly 1-2yrs old. GoDaddy could not even beat a hand-reg at GoDaddy. Something seriously wrong with their algorithms, IMHO.

So be realistic. If it's a domain you want. Backorder it at Drop Catch first, and then add backorders at SnapNames/NameJet. If there are other bidders, then you are going to pay more for it at DropCatch.

•••
PM me the domain that was involved.

•••
I backordered a domain using the dropcatch.com service

the domain was caught by them

suddenly they removed my backorder from history after they caught the domain i was the only bidder

Also they wrote ""Lost - Partner"" which is a new status its either caught - missed or auction

LD3tbfs.jpg

So be warned if they like your domain they will steal it from you !!!

i think in few days i will see the domain listed in hugedomains.com forsale

Shame on you Dropcatch i thought its an honest service like NameJet.com

not only they spy on you they will take your domain if they like it

there was zero backorder on this domain and i added my backorder 5 minutes before dead time

never give this company your hard searched names again they will stole it from you

Very unprofessional company will never use again
Same thing happen to us. Few days later the domain was listed at HugeDomains.com :-/

•••
PM me the domain and circumstances, plus what DropCatch said in the case.

•••
This isn't a first. Email them and explain the situation. They should move the domain to you. This has been the case in the past...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back