IT.COM

advice Drive traffic to parked site or wait for natural traffic?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello NamePros Community,

I recently reg'd 2 new domain names and have them parked with Bodis. What is the best way to have traffic drive to those sites? I know it is not allowed to buy traffic or PPC but is there any other ways that is allowed by Bodis or any other parking sites to drive traffic?

Or does all traffic just have to come naturally to parked domains?

Thanks,
Bill

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There is no way to drive traffic to a parked page that doesn't violate the TOS of Google, Yahoo and therefore all the parking companies. You can unpark the page - do SEO and repark it but you need to avoid having any new links created while the domain is parked. That is the quickest way to get the domain Google fail listed. Go back and read the Bodis TOS and you'll see the prohibition clearly defined.

•••
There is no way to drive traffic to a parked page that doesn't violate the TOS of Google, Yahoo and therefore all the parking companies. You can unpark the page - do SEO and repark it but you need to avoid having any new links created while the domain is parked. That is the quickest way to get the domain Google fail listed. Go back and read the Bodis TOS and you'll see the prohibition clearly defined.

Thanks for the help!

•••
I always see people say parking is dead and that it is better to build a site, mini site or landing page for your domains. Can someone explain what all goes into a site, mini site or landing page? I am assuming if it is a site that is going to be a full blown website based off of the domain name, but what exactly is a mini site or landing page?

I would need to do some solid SEO to have traffic driven to any site, mini site or landing page, right?

Thanks in advance for all of your help! Trying to wrap my head around this domain name game and make a little extra cash, if we are being honest. Selling/flipping domains hasn't worked the best for me so I want to try other means.

Bill

•••
I always see people say parking is dead and that it is better to build a site, mini site or landing page for your domains. Can someone explain what all goes into a site, mini site or landing page? I am assuming if it is a site that is going to be a full blown website based off of the domain name, but what exactly is a mini site or landing page?

I would need to do some solid SEO to have traffic driven to any site, mini site or landing page, right?

Thanks in advance for all of your help! Trying to wrap my head around this domain name game and make a little extra cash, if we are being honest. Selling/flipping domains hasn't worked the best for me so I want to try other means.

Bill
Hi Bill,

The reason why people do domain parking is because it's easy money: requires little time/effort and the results come fast. The hard part is finding a monetizable domain.

If you have time to develop and SEO a website, then that's the way to go. This way you'll be able to build an online business, make some money along the way, and have an sellable asset for the future.

•••
Would it make sense to research a domain first? For instance I am looking at godaddy auctions and finding sites that says it has traffic already going to it (i have no idea how legit Godaddy traffic number is). I also took a few minutes and typed the soon to expire domains into other tools to check traffic, and searched site: in google.
I haven't tried much domain parking, but if a domain that is up in godaddy auctions for cheap says it has traffic going to it it might turn a clicks in earnings back to you, through organic searches. Again I have no experience in domain parking, but (back in my internet marketing days) I did find auctioned domains to build landing pages that got organic traffic which in turn made me money through commissioned sales.
again, just a newbie here and trying out ideas myself ... so take this with a grain of salt LOL

Good luck :)

•••

I don't understand what is the prohibition for that. Assume that I have a website on a domain name about some fictional fashion product (generic term), and it is natural to promote the fashion product, by writing blogs, articles, product reviews on that. They will certainly contains backlink to the website because they need to promote the product. I may try to even set up a personal blog network about that, and drive traffic to the site. What's wrong with the practice?

•••
Bodis are assholes when it comes to traffic, make sure your traffic is natural otherwise will most likely lose your account.

•••
I don't understand what is the prohibition for that. Assume that I have a website on a domain name about some fictional fashion product (generic term), and it is natural to promote the fashion product, by writing blogs, articles, product reviews on that. They will certainly contains backlink to the website because they need to promote the product. I may try to even set up a personal blog network about that, and drive traffic to the site. What's wrong with the practice?
A parked page vs what you described is not the same thing. A parked page is nothing more than a page with advertisements. What you described is a website with content, and the search engines should have no issues with it.

•••

Bill
Basically a "mini-site' is a "one page wonder" in which companies/webmasters/affiliates/etc offer information about one specific product or product group.

A landing page... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_page

Using basic SEO plus social media like Facebook page or group, Twitter, Linked In, Reddit and others is a common way to get traffic

•••

Bill
You can look at this site: namecape.com
it uses DNhat domain portfolio management & markeplace script.
That's all you need.

•••
You can look at this site: namecape.com
it uses DNhat domain portfolio management & markeplace script.
That's all you need.

looks good

•••
Traffic that doesn't convert is useless and a waste of bandwidth anyway.

•••
Traffic that doesn't convert is useless and a waste of bandwidth anyway.
I prefer non-converting traffic to no traffic at all. Remember, no matter how optimized your website or landing page is, you can never achieve 100% conversion rate.

Used effectively, "useless" traffic (if not spam bots) can help you gain insight into what is happening with your sales funnel, conduct A/B testing, fine-tune and tweak your sales pitch, USP (unique selling point) and many more.

I've noticed that some potential buyers visit my domain landing pages at namecape.com, only to end up purchasing same domains from established aftermarkets. Most recent is 686c/com. For two straight weeks, a potential Chinese buyer visited the landing page on a daily basis. No enquiry, no form submitted. Just come-and-go. I saw it coming and tripled the asking price for the domain. Last week he purchased the domain from Godaddy auctions for $1299 (see details in sold domains section). That's "useless" traffic for you!

Last edited:
•••
I prefer non-converting traffic to no traffic at all. Remember, no matter how optimized your website or landing page is, you can never achieve 100% conversion rate.

Used effectively, "useless" traffic (if not spam bots) can help you gain insight into what is happening with your sales funnel, conduct A/B testing, fine-tune and tweak your sales pitch, USP (unique selling point) and many more.

I've noticed that some potential buyers visit my domain landing pages at namecape.com, only to end up purchasing same domains from established aftermarkets. Most recent is 686c/com. For two straight weeks, a potential Chinese buyer visited the landing page on a daily basis. I saw it coming and tripled the asking price for the domain. Last week he purchased the domain from Godaddy auctions for $1299 (see details in sold domains section). That's "useless" traffic for you.

Thread is about parking, ie. monetising traffic.
I think @Kate was referring to just that and not traffic in general.

•••
Thread is about parking, ie. monetising traffic.
I think @Kate was referring to just that and not traffic in general.

Monetising traffic is not limited to parking alone. Yes, parking is the most popular and laziest way - among domainers, generally speaking.

Last edited:
•••
Monetising traffic is not limited to parking alone. Yes, parking is the most popular and laziest way

I do parking only and sleep only once every two days working non-stop.. every week/month/year. Yep, pretty lazy I am.

I can assure you that there is nothing that can be described as 'lazy' in this business.
Pretty sure you already know that so I'm just correcting that small mistake you did right there :)

•••
I do parking only and sleep only once every two days working non-stop.. every week/month/year. Yep, pretty lazy I am.

I can assure you that there is nothing that can be described as 'lazy' in this business.
Pretty sure you already know that so I'm just correcting that small mistake you did right there :)

Thanks for that. I've added "generally speaking" to the comment.

•••
The point of parking domains is type in traffic. If you park your domain and see there are few visitors then the name may not be as good as expected. You win some you lose some. Some of my predictions were wrong some pleasant surprises.

•••

I've noticed that some potential buyers visit my domain landing pages at namecape.com, only to end up purchasing same domains from established aftermarkets. Most recent is 686c/com. For two straight weeks, a potential Chinese buyer visited the landing page on a daily basis. No enquiry, no form submitted. Just come-and-go. I saw it coming and tripled the asking price for the domain. Last week he purchased the domain from Godaddy auctions for $1299 (see details in sold domains section). That's "useless" traffic for you!
Actually I have had 100% conversion rate and never below 70% on one site I own it was hand reg and gets natural traffic about 400-500 a month,it basically earns nothing due to minuscule RPM but was a good learning curve on natural traffic building and high conversion from targeting specific niche ....and it wasn’t even intended ,it was an accidental discovery ,anyways just wanted to say yes I have had a 100% conversion rate

•••
If your building webistes your developing not parking if no body comes to your parked site your domain is inferior to others that park with success if you think you can succeed without type in you have a brand.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back