Dynadot

DreamHost

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
What do you guys think about DreamHost. Especially that they offer now outstanding hosting plans by price/possibilities

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I do not trust them personally because they are overselling too much and it is not possible to make a good profit with those prices. When i first visited there website from the npclicks area, i thought i was really dreaming, i even showed it to a friend saying how impossible it would be to do that.

•••
Wow, must be overselling. That's a ton of space and bw for $8.

•••
Wow, 20gb of bandwidth and 1 TERABYTE of bandwidth!? That's impossible! But, honestly, I'm not going to say anything bad about them because I've heard nothing but GOOD things about the company.

I'd really love for someone to try hosting with them, though, and use a terabyte worth of bandwidth. :D

•••
Yah, I'm sure they're fine, until you use a terabyte of bandwidth and all of your space.

•••
So? Resume about them is positive as what I see. Anyone has real experience with them?

•••
I use dreamhost.Only good experiences with them.I hope some day that I can test the
bandwidth limit but that is way beyond my capabilities at the moment.
I had to put aside my cpanel snobbishness to join as they use another hosting panel but it has become very advantageous to my purposes.In my opinion their customer service is unparelled.I had one difficulty setting up my sites and they sent me an immediate and detailed response on how to overcome it.
I've yet to hear much complaint about dreamhost so I am quite comfortable with them.
I think the business plan is that they can provide the capacities they offer becaouse
many members like me only are able to use 1-10% of the quota and only a few do.
At the same time I bet they do not use more than 20G diskspace for every 5 customers so in effect they are selling 4 GB per customer(likely less).

I think of them as an all you can use buffet where most customers are limited to what they can consume.The likelyhood of filling the restaurant with heavy eaters only is remote.

I may be out to lunch(pun intended) on this one but it is my take on their ability to provide what they claim.

•••
I still don't think it is ever appropriate to oversell. Even if most people don't use all of the space, it should still never be acceptable to oversell. How are you going to explain when the servers run out of diskspace because the servers are being oversold?

•••
I dont trust them anymore, i registered with them 2 weeks ago (before that offer) and i paid, they said that they didnt receive the payment! :( i sent the a screenshot, and now from 3 days they are not answering my emails!
damn it.

•••
They oversell to maximum capabilities from what a personal friend of mine has shown. He has SSH access on one of their servers and did a search list of users and found over 1,000+K on just one server. Now this an definetly cause spikes and server performance issues but he hasn't said anything bad in regards to them to me nor have I asked him... although he is looking to move out and obtain a VPS solution as soon as possible.

•••
It just doesn't seem possible. :(

•••
I got a 'test' account before their unsustainable Terabyte upgrades... I use it for small/test websites since the plan allows unlimited domains, but I don't think they will be able to keep these offers for too long (just my opinion as a webhosting provider and experience from other overselling hosts).

•••
I registered with them 3 mons ago,Now 20gb of bandwidth and 1 TERABYTE of bandwidth:)

<Code removed> -Staff

Very cheap....Good luck

•••
Thanx, lau. I did use your promocode. REP added.

•••
but dreamhost charges $50 setupfee :)

•••
dotcommakers said:
but dreamhost charges $50 setupfee :)
Only if you go month by month payment

•••
The hook is that you get the low prices only when you are paying a year or even two years in advance. Okay, I don't mind to pay 3 month in advance. But years? No, thanks. It's like I would grant them an interest free loan. :$:

•••
I don't think I'd ever want to pay a year in advance with a company that oversells. Maybe a very trusted non-overselling company, but not this one.

•••
I would say, if its no harm to try them out the promo code of 30$/year. But im little apprehensive about their reliability

•••
I use them and can only say good things about them. Excellent! They even installed a perl script I asked! They even let me run MY OWN php.cgi! Indeed seems like you are dreaming!

Last edited:
•••
I ordered it and at the moment quite satisfied. Let's see how it will be further

•••
wasistdas said:
What do you guys think about DreamHost. Especially that they offer now outstanding hosting plans by price/possibilities

Looks Good.

•••
I have been using them for a while,

The great, both with the service they offer aswell as the support!

Whats with all the negative posts

•••
if i get the 1 year for $30, after the year is over can i go month to month if i want?

•••
Hosts who offer a lot of bandwith/space oversell. Personally, it is quite unethical to oversell and is not a good way to run a business. Overselling makes sites load really slow and the servers less stable. If anyone wants a reliable host that actually cares about them, they should stay away from hosts like godaddy and dreamhost. The reason they oversell is because most people do not use all the extra bandwith and space. For those of you who dont know, overselling is when hosts advertise more then they have allocated per server.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back