Dynadot

Dow Jones down to 8,580 - How does it affect domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I know that this has been talked about on other threads especially recently. But overall, how do you think this news affects domain sales? I have a feeling that when it comes to domains it will affect domainers and end users differently.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Gilsan I find it unfathomable that so many people in the new administration are so seemingly stupid. Of course there is the possible this is being done on purpose. JMO

Bingo.

America is waking up from the dream realizing that they have elected a left-wing ideologue.

•••
I think it's a bit too early to declare something as dead, when it has yet to come alive.
At the same time, I give the doubters, including myself, all the points in the world for having forecast or predicted the fiasco.

Yet again, my call to action is not to continue looking at what doesn't work, but to stepping it up and continuously provide options as to what DOES work or has at least a conceptual chance, without further killing our already desolate country and subsequently many other countries in its wake.

It's painfully obvious that our administration is trying frantically just to come up with something; attempting to apply a band aid, rather than looking at the wound(s) as a whole. The country is financially hemorrhaging, yet, the only solutions i keep hearing about is adding blood (money) to an ailing body, instead of subjecting the patient (USA) to it's well needed invasive surgical procedure (restructuring).

Not that I don't value foreign input, heck, I'm a foreigner myself in the USA, but when FIAT (Italy) can step up and claim to have a solution for Chrysler, then I'm really wondering what type of useless individual we have at the helm of an American institution. All the value add that FIAT promises is going to get trampled by the overpowered Unions, sub par products and pricing strategies as well as engineering without vision.
Not to mention that Italy has it's own share of problems as one of the largest Italian banks (Banco Medici) is currently tumbling as well.

The bottom line, I know I sound like a broken record on repeat, is to let businesses fail and let the economy restructure itself, instead of providing near endless financial support that will ruin the next generations to come.

History has shown more than once, that when things begin to massively fail, ingenuity begins to take over and new, better, more efficient plans emerge.
As one says, "you have to hit rock bottom first, before it gets better" - yet, as long as we keep supporting the ones that should have hit the bottom a long time ago, just to prevent them from falling, nothing will change quickly.
Sometimes, the spot of the "mother hen" is overprotective, over ambitious and simply ill guided.

As a counter argument, BO hasn't had all that much time to reverse what's been trashed in 8 years. Maybe there's a miracle somewhere in there - for all us incredible optimists. ;)
Also, it wouldn't have mattered who's at the helm of the US, left, right, liberal or any mixture of them all - the damage has been done way before they even swore in.
8 years of horrendous, inadequate spending, greed, war mongering, favoritism, corruption and lobbyism cannot go by without the appropriate effects in its wake. This applies to BO as it would have applied to any other president, no matter the political orientation, mindset, background, color and intellect.

M.

•••
amenzl said:
History in the making.

Very short term memory you sole supporters of American values. I can't even believe you say you balanced the budget. Back it up w/ proof...Verified voting records and name names (reps & cong). If you've got the cause to state something then why not provide something more than rhetoric.

You can say a lot here and provide a means for a good argument (def wise folks); I haven't seen it yet.
I'm not sure that I even remotely understand what you're getting at. Care to elaborate?
Who said the budget is balanced?
What does it have to do with voting records?
What else is left, other than talking about solutions and hoping for the best? Money sure seems to be growing on trees these days.
Arguments/Discussions: Interestingly enough, we don't get paid for it here, while congressmen and senators get paid very well for arguing their cases and battling it out in elaborate discussions.

Seriously though, I'd really like to know where your thought process in your post was. No harm, foul, ill will, or mean spirited attack intended.

M.

•••
Thats the way I see it too.. like Mike says why is government the decider of what prospers or what fails?

•••
Money flies to safe havens

Every reaction is causing more disaster. Yet they still keep throwing gas on the fire. All the patriotism we can muster will not stop this dollars meltdown now. Why? They have thrown to much gas on the fire. Everything is getting consumed. Citi bank shares worth $57. a little more than a year ago, now .97.. a penney stock now.

The economy cannot recover when the money has been expanded to the degree it has. Think about this.. all this bloodshed in the markets and the 100 year enterprises that have been cornerstones for economic expansion destroyed. This destruction is even before the bailouts have taken their toll. The huge bailouts are a gaurantee for the dollars destruction. Just and wait and see.

The only way now to restore the economies of the world is to restore credibility for the dollar. The only way to do that is for governments to abandon the printing press and back their currencies in hard assets. Then we can get on with enterprize again. Until then money is taking flight to a safe haven. Now the paper dollar will quickly fall.

Last edited:
•••
Who's got the key to Fort Knox? It's time to go to the REAL bank of the U.S.A!

M.

•••
•••
I think that premium keyword rich dot coms will continue to stay strong. The mid market and the junk domains are going to take a hit though

•••
Every domain is getting hit. Of course the better names do better, but I have not heard that the better names are breaking records in monetizing or in domain sale prices.

•••
Here's what I've noticed about the effect it is having on domain names. We just bought a name last week for $70K, and the owner told us 6 months ago that he would never sell . If you ever wanted to buy something nice, and were turned away, now is the time to walk back to that door, and start knocking.

The guy even told me, if it wasn't for the economy he would have never sold. Now is the time to buy great names to develop, if you can. The lower the dow drops, the better the prices get for liquid cash buyers. If you can hold on and maintain through these hard times, you will come out on top.

Napoleon Hill said something to the effect, that depressions were not bad for everyone, they actually level the playing field and create new millionaires when they're over.

•••
Kingdon, so this is the change BARRY SOETERO promised? level the playing field by doing his part to finish the destruction of our economy so opportunists like yourself can be a new millionaire ? Good luck with that.

•••
LOL, I wouldn't be surprised to see you painting my picture with horns and a pitchfork. Anyone else making headway in such hard times would be an entrepreneur, but in your eyes I'm just an opportunist. I bet the dow dips below 6,000 in a few weeks, and unemployment hits the double digits in some places.

The current administration was handed this sinking ship, and they will fix it as fast as they can while the first class passengers fill the life boats. You don't hear the conservatives calling for the rights of people to invest their retirement in the stock market any more. What ever happened to that cause?

The market has lost half it's value, and so have most domain names; it's just that now people who have been holding onto great names for years, are finally considering letting them go. Make of it what you will, but that's the focus of this thread. If you're going to poke me, just send me a PM, there's no need for personal attacks here.

And to everyone reading this thread, don't let anyone call you an opportunist for being in the right place at the right time. This is the right place to be, and you should be grateful for being smart enough to see these opportunities.

•••
KingDon said:
The current administration was handed this sinking ship, and they will fix it as fast as they can while the first class passengers fill the life boats.
Take the red pill KingDon

•••
Its only the beginning

I see what King Don is saying. I am sure he wishes all was right in the markets. It is not. It may be a golden time to buy names. Domains may go lower yet so the advice is not set in stone.

My bet is foodstamps . com is getting lots of traffic now and will get even more in the future as this is only the beginning stage for trouble. I do not agree with the Harvard economists that are saying we will start to pull out of this by spring. ha ha ha ha. Dumb turds.

This meltdown is like the twin towers just before it fell. The pillars of commerce have been DESTROYED.

Last edited:
•••
Even the Obama/Pelosi combo can only knock stocks down so far. Eventually the parts of the market that they have not been able to crush will bottom out and start a climb back up. And certainly, they will be throwing money at 'green' related companies, so those should grow nicely over the next 5-6 years. I think fast food industries will be fine, too - everyone has money to go to McDonald's every once in a while, and we still live in a drive thru society, going to and coming from football/baseball/basketball/volleyball/soccer games.....

•••
Economy on life support

Chaos, price and wage controls, food shortages, lawlessness. These drags on the economy are what the future holds, not a upswing in the markets.

Real estate is dead, auto sector.. dead.. retail dead.. banks dead and next to arrive is massive inflation. Not a good picture for stocks or anything tied to the dollar. Commodities are doing O.K. The reason commodities are not running thru the roof is the meltdown has scared investors into parking their money into cash as a temporary place until they decide what to do with it. Everyone is in panic mode now waiting. The next shoe to drop is inflation. Inflation will change everything. Even Warren Buffet is now saying inflation is coming. Soon to slide off the cliff is commercial real estate and consumer credit card defaults. Real estate has dropped big time and most experts say it will drop another 20% at least.

All those deadbeat industries that have been propped up with taxpayers dollars are not meeting the market place and will be cash strapped over and over and our leaders are dumb enough to keep bailing them out with billions and billions more.

Government propping up certain industries while others grapple and fall. Who is the decider of what is the market place.. government or consumers? I know the consumer has spoken.. they don't want the cars that are overpriced. Tell that to Bernenke and Timmy. They just don't seem to get it.

Citi bank and Aig.. insolvent. On life support and getting daily injections of cash. Over three hundred banks went into foreclosure this year, compared to less than a dozen in normal years.

Nothing can awaken a corpse. As a nation we are not responding to this crisis very well. What is the answer?

To that question the fed heads say.. don't stop now and print it faster and print much more. We have to do something!

Last edited:
•••
I've said it here before, and here it goes again.

Dear America,

I told you so.

Love, Octane.

I wish you were all right, I really do. But unfortunately, January 20th wasn't the turning point most of you were hoping for.

Still happy you elected Obama? Maybe if you listen to the media, but not if you think for your self, that's for sure.

I heard this morning that he's still got a 60% approval rating, I can't wait to laugh when his numbers go lower than Bush's.

I love how we have one good day in the market, and who's fault was it? Obama's.

Never mind the fact we're still DOWN over 1,000 points since January.

On the positive side, the market will correct itself at some point, and sure, Obama can take all of the credit, even though he did nothing to help - just live life knowing the future is bright, it's just a waiting game now.

•••
food stamp domains are gold

Warren Buffet thought the markets would correct itself and he invested billions when the stock market crashed recently. Guess what? He just told the world he made a big mistake and his Berkshire investments just lost billions of dollars.

Go ahead.. throw the dice you too may be a winner. Or buy gold, silver, oil and farm related investments. Thats what Jimmy Rogers is doing. Quality domains are another good investment. But buy only top domains as most of those we own are going to get hit just like the rest of this economy.

Oh how I wish I owned food stamps .com or .org

•••
amenzl said:
If you're in the market loosing your a$s YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE.

Coming from an Obama fan?

Learn your stuff before you come on here and 72pt font me.

If you're "loosing your a$s", then YES, you ARE responsible - so what's with all of the bail outs? Stimulus packages?

At least KingDon knew what the democratic party was all about, you on the other hand, have no clue.

•••
amenzl said:
There is no smiley for what I want. Apparently, the American voters decided what the republican party was all about and voted democrat.

No. Again, the Americans didn't get to decide - the media chose for them.

Very few people actually have factual reasons that they voted for Obama.

Most give the statements like "I didn't like Palin" "McCain is old" "I like Obama" ... and I like ice cream.

It's nothing to base a vote on.

How about the fact that in Obama's very short Senate stint he manages to vote "undecided" 129 times. That's our leader? Someone who can't take a stand on an issue, not once, not twice, but one hundred and twenty nine times! Are you kidding me?!

The list goes on my friend ...

Don't insult my intelligence. Like I said, learn from KingDon, and know what you're talking about before you argue for or against it.

•••
amenzl said:
If you're insulted that's your problem. You have absolutely no argument here. What you describe is not the America I live in.

Who said we're friends?!

What are you talking about?

What America do you live in? One with no TV's or News Papers?

Oh, and I'm not sure what argument I didn't have - Obama voted "I Don't Know" 129 times, and he's leading our country. Honestly that scares the shit out of me. And, it's a better argument against him than you can come up with FOR him.

So, for the last time, please, do yourself a favor and read something that will help you understand what Obama stands for, I don't care if it's the most liberal - obama praising - article out there. Just do something so you stop looking like a fool.

I'm going to sleep. :zzz:

•••
amenzl said:
If you're in the market loosing your a$s YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE.

Now, the correct liberal response would have been, "If you are in the market losing your a$$, it's George Bush's fault, so we'll tax everyone else and give you your money back. Only, see, we can't tax everyone at 400%, so we're going to have to tax your grandchildren, too, but we'll make sure you get your short term losses back somehow. Change!"

•••
RogueWriter said:
Now, the correct liberal response would have been, "If you are in the market losing your a$$, it's George Bush's fault, so we'll tax everyone else and give you your money back. Only, see, we can't tax everyone at 400%, so we're going to have to tax your grandchildren, too, but we'll make sure you get your short term losses back somehow. Change!"

Word for word - my point exactly.

Repped.

[EDIT] - Just kidding about rep. Apparently I've reached my limit on rep for you. Just imagine more rep :lol:.

•••
Why thank you, Octane, I'll place it up there on my shelf alongside my photo of the melting polar cap.

•••
Ha, too funny around here.

One thing is for sure we will see lots of false starts to the economy and that will also have its toll. I laugh all day when I read of Harvard economists who say we will start coming out of this by spring.

Well spring is only a week away.. so whoppee we are almost out of the woods, lol

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back