Dynadot

Dotster to Dotster transfer need my accounts answer to secret question?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I won an auction and that domain at namepros and it is hosted at Dotster after paying for the name I sent the dotster username but I got a weird request from the seller.

Here is the exact msg
Can you please let me know the answer of your security question of the Dotster account. It is required for domain transfer.

I wanted to know if this is like handing over my account on a silver platter to the seller or does the Dotster internal transfer system really sucks that it needs such sensitive info for the transfer to happen.

Anyone who has used Dotster or done domain transfer via Dotster can please comment on this?

Just created an account there to get the push for this domain. So have absolutely no prior experience with this registrar.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Unfortunately, yes that is the way. Alternately, you should ask the seller to request for the removal of the domain name from their account and then reach out to support to add the name to your account (IIRC, for a few domains, you can do it manually yourself as well from the Domain Control Panel)

•••
That's the way dotster is being programmed to receive push ( stupid anyway). He can insist on the name removal and adding it to your account (username) while you use "add existing" button to receive the name. This can be done without security answers

•••
Thanks @anantj and @Haykay2005 for the prompt reply.

Looks like somone is still living in the stone age. Its soo absurd to give out such sensetive info to a random guy on internet just to receive an domain in your account.

Let me check if he can do this else I think I should just get it transferred to Uniregistry or Namecheap.

•••
I've tried transferring from there a few times to find out my domain was then not even in my name anymore. Was back in anants name. So the put in my name again opted out the 60 day lock then I get an email saying it's relocked. Most complicated dns to control & ive accepted transferring out is impossible. I'll let it expire & Renew elsewhere. Maybe that'll work. Support team is cool though just a horrible internal system.

•••
That seems like a plot from a horror story :/
I've tried transferring from there a few times to find out my domain was then not even in my name anymore. Was back in anants name. So the put in my name again opted out the 60 day lock then I get an email saying it's relocked. Most complicated dns to control & ive accepted transferring out is impossible. I'll let it expire & Renew elsewhere. Maybe that'll work. Support team is cool though just a horrible internal system.

It was a purchase from the bargin bin. Would you suggest if its worth all this trouble ?

•••
Ey they won't steal your domain. Anant is a good guy. I just think they need a new system.

•••
Let me check if he can do this else I think I should just get it transferred to Uniregistry or Namecheap.
I'd recommend NameSilo. Also, Alpnames currently has a transfer promo for .COM names. They are an option as well

•••
Ey they won't steal your domain. Anant is a good guy. I just think they need a new system.
Haha, thanks Chris. In this case, I'm not the seller ;)

•••
refer him to this thread for info

then tell him to call support and remove domain.

then you login to your asccount and click add existing.

u don't even need to call support. or give your security.

works every time.

•••
Which domain are you facing the issue? Name****? I think the whois issue is fixed now. Funny part is, I never once received a confirmation and/or request for whois contact change approval

•••
That seems like a plot from a horror story :/

It was a purchase from the bargin bin. Would you suggest if its worth all this trouble ?
There is an easier way if you don't want to hand over your security answer: ask the seller to go to live chat and to ask them to remove the name from his account, than you can go to your domain central at dotster, go to'add existing' and type the name and add it to your account. I have sold around 200 names this year registered with domain.com and family without any issues.

•••
Anant, that is b/c it was already in my name lol from when i bought it from you. It sent the whois request to me, i okayed it and then it transferred into my name for the 2nd time. However i had opted out of the 60 day transfer as i was trying ot transfer it over to myself at plus domain club. I'd just leave it there man but i have it as a reseller domain for an account and i have 15 domains suspsended b/c i can't get the dns set right over there. Even yoru support set the dns per requirements and they were showing wrong still. Just more than i have time for.

•••
Anant, that is b/c it was already in my name lol from when i bought it from you. It sent the whois request to me, i okayed it and then it transferred into my name for the 2nd time. However i had opted out of the 60 day transfer as i was trying ot transfer it over to myself at plus domain club. I'd just leave it there man but i have it as a reseller domain for an account and i have 15 domains suspsended b/c i can't get the dns set right over there. Even yoru support set the dns per requirements and they were showing wrong still. Just more than i have time for.

Ouch... That's painful

•••
Yea, one of the domains suspended has a developed website on it that I'd like to run some ads for. Themepire(.com)

•••
@kamcreation you got great answer's from members.

I actually did what you said lot's of times when i sold domains that were on dotster.

I used to ask the buyer if they already had a dotster account or will they create one, if they were going to create a dotster account i usually ask them to contact support and ask them to create a account for the buyer (because it's really hard and confusing to find a way to create a free account) and to put "test" has the answer to the security question, i always inform the buyer to change the answer to what ever they want after the domains are in is dotster account (i do this because it's faster and easier since new members to dotster don't really know how to add domains) .

If they already have a account i say i will remove the domains and ask them to add the domains to their account (i do this because most of them know how to add domains and they probably won't want to tell me their security question answer)

Dotster should really update their platform especially for their push and sign up area.

Ps: even if you push the domain or remove them for the buyer to add, the buyer has to always change the info on each domain because the info is still the sellers info if you don't change it and technically he's still the owner.

Also if you don't change the info every time you try to add the domain to a marketplace the seller is the one that receives the email and when you change the info the seller receives a email asking him if he confirm´s this change so it's best to do this when you get the domains in your dotster account when the transaction is still fresh.

Hope this help's.

•••
Everyone is correct AND in addition - you can push or transfer from ANY DomFam - Domain/MyDomain/NetFirms/Dotster to any other sibling - if you are new and don't have an account at any of them, the BEST choice is Domain.com

@kamcreation - you already set up at Dotster, yet if other people come across this in the future, they will know.

Ever since the new ICANN nonsense, at any registrar except GD, I have found it is best to change WhoIs FIRST, as long as you can opt-out of transfer lock.

@alcy gets credit for inspiring the method below

https://www.namepros.com/posts/6116445/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Easy as Pie DomFam PUSH method - Domain/MyDomain/NetFirms/Dotster

TL:DR version
1] SELLER changes whois to Buyers whois contact info in Sellers control panel, can be done for single domain or in bulk.
2] BUYER verifies whois change by email. Seller not required to do any whois verification.
3] SELLER gets on chat and requests names be removed from sellers account, wait for chat to confirm removed.
4] BUYER uses "Add Existing" to add the name to their control panel, refresh Domain Central, name is pushed.

This method only requires SELLER to know their own security answer to provide to chat in step 3 AND does NOT require the buyer to have to update whois after the push is completed.

IMPORTANT EDIT: Be sure to OPT-OUT of the 60 Day Change Of Owner Lock when changing to the BUYERS contact info. It's a checkbox that is OPT-OUT by default, just be sure not to uncheck it!

1MoTCmY.png

•••
Running into this same problem myself. All I want to do is push a domain name to another Dotster account. But now they are requiring account authorization for the new account. Like I'm really going to ask a buyer for their account passwords and security questions.

•••
Dotster support is so bad ....
Just trying to move a domain name and all they keep saying is they can remove it from my account. I kept telling them not to and they removed the domain name from my account anyway. And this was a supervisor. See the chat transcript below ...

Attachments

• capture_003_07072017_1055242.jpg
    capture_003_07072017_1055242.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
•••
Hi @momentum

You can ask the buyer to contact dotster support to give them the security question answer to confirm (wile yourself is with dotster support also) just ask your dotster support how to do this.

If they remove the domain just ask the buyer to add them to his dotster account. This is one of the ways to push the domain to the other dotster account that's why they removed it.

•••
@momentum - this is exactly what you want them to do. Now the buyer can add the domain to the new account using "Add Existing"

If you did not change whois before, the buyer will have to verify the change

PS the buyer does not even have to contact support to do this, just respond to whois email and "Add Existing"

Last edited:
•••
I dont know guys. This seems like a very risky business practice to have a clueless registrar remove a valuable domain name from my account. And then hope that the buyer can figure out how to add it before it gets poached by someone else.

To be blunt,
I'm done jumping through hoops for these idiot registrars

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back