DotCOOP

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Well don't even think about it ...chicken.coop (not active)is already regged:p
http://www.coop/ . many "cooperative profiles: redirects to their main .com etc
anyone here have one?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I haven't even heard of or seen one yet. I think you have to have proof of somehow being a cooperative or join an organization. To me a cooperative would generally fit very well under the .org umbrella. I don't know what the appeal of the TLD is.

For that matter, I haven't seen a dot-pro either, but I think they just recently started accepting applications. I do have a couple .aero's for my personal use and development. I think there are a few .museums, but most also point to .com or other TLD sites as well.

•••
•••
.COOP is a waste of a GTLD. Mark pegged it right above, that most organizations that would use a .coop would be better suited to get a .org. What was ICANN thinking?

•••
Originally posted by -RJ-
.COOP is a waste of a GTLD.

No offense Ron, but actually I think it's an sTLD. ...but I couldn't tell you who the sponsoring organization is.

I have a feeling the next round of sTLD's aren't going to be much better or get any more use. Face it, Companies want .com's, and just about everyone else can find a suitable name at a reasonable price in the other existing gTLD's or ccTLD's. It would be more reasonable to find new uses for the DNS system such as the enum initiative where phone numbers resolve to IP for future VOIP convergence, or a domain naming convention that classifies sites by level of security (i.e. VPN's or semi-private intranets), or content rating (like kids.us is trying to do). Ther are other ways to classify intenet users than by country and type of organization.

They could also spend less time working on silly naming conventions and fix the bigger problem of spam. ICAAN should work on the underlying protocols of naming that allows email to be spoofed with other peoples domains, email bouncing from and to nonexistent addresses eating bandwidth, email being hard to trace to the real sender; whois records accessible to spiders; and other more important internet problems than making an endless supply of TLD names.

•••
You're right about .coop, I just checked and it is a sponsored TLD not a GTLD.

Originally posted by AdoptableDomains
I have a feeling the next round of sTLD's aren't going to be much better or get any more use. Face it, Companies want .com's, and just about everyone else can find a suitable name at a reasonable price in the other existing gTLD's or ccTLD's. It would be more reasonable to find new uses for the DNS system such as the enum initiative where phone numbers resolve to IP for future VOIP convergence, or a domain naming convention that classifies sites by level of security (i.e. VPN's or semi-private intranets), or content rating (like kids.us is trying to do). Ther are other ways to classify intenet users than by country and type of organization.

They could also spend less time working on silly naming conventions and fix the bigger problem of spam. ICAAN should work on the underlying protocols of naming that allows email to be spoofed with other peoples domains, email bouncing from and to nonexistent addresses eating bandwidth, email being hard to trace to the real sender; whois records accessible to spiders; and other more important internet problems than making an endless supply of TLD names.

Great post! The spam problem is not going to go away until the protocols are redone to make the source of e-mails identifiable and held responsible. But doesn't this responsibility fall under IANA's control rather than ICANN?

•••
enum initiative where phone numbers resolve to IP for future VOIP convergence

The dotPH ccTLD is trying to market itself as a dot-phone. I always wondered about that, but with your post I guess this is what they were thinking.

•••
There's more about the enum proposal here:

http://enum.org/

President Bush signed off on behalf of US support this past summer.

dot.ph is probably a real informal open way of doing it. enum would be structured and tied to the international telephone numbering system.

Originally posted by -RJ-
Great post! The spam problem is not going to go away until the protocols are redone to make the source of e-mails identifiable and held responsible. But doesn't this responsibility fall under IANA's control rather than ICANN?

I think IANA and ICANN would have to work together since DNS is a naming system built onto a numbering system. Especially since there's a shortage of IP numbers until IPv6 is fully in effect when every name "could" be specifically tied to a traceable/blockable IP number. It's too easy for spammers now just to change or spoof domain names. I had a spammer spoof one of my domains as the sender and got 14,000+ bounce mail messages in 24 hours a while back.

The whois records are totally in ICANN's responsibility, which is where the majority of my received spam originates. I would agree it's nice to be able to access the owner of a domain, but more protection should be required to protect mass harvesting of the records, like some registrars are doing with graphical challenge response schemes to reveal them now.

Last edited:
•••
How exactly do you setup a domain extension?

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back