Dynadot

Dot Com Death

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Wilfredo

Internet EntrepreneurEstablished Member
Impact
Doesnt it look like ccTLD is going to take over the market ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Originally posted by Bill1
i think .com will always rule everything else will always be second choice

Well you are wrong cause if you look at the european countries ccTLDs is the first choice.

•••
I am a firm believer in the potential of new gtlds and select cctlds, in due time. I do not, however, see this potential as a "death" of dot com. On the other hand, dot com has been at the top for quite a while now and we all know that from that position there's only one direction it can possibly go...DOWN. Again, by saying that, I do not intend to imply that it will "DIE" down but only that its monoply will gradually fizzle away as more and more entities become familiar and comfortable with new tlds, some of which (like .INFO) might be much better suited with given slds and fit much more naturally and logically with the purpose of the given website's focus/content....just my $0.02...!

•••
Hehe, I typed Death just to get people to discuss it.
Meaning ccTLDs will be the first choice.

Whats gTLD and sTLD ?

•••
Originally posted by cmos
Whats gTLD and sTLD ?

TLD is "Top Level Domain"; gTLD is "Generic Top Level Domain" like .info, .com, etc. Its "SLD" (not sTLD) and means "Second Level Domain"...the word/phrase to the left of TLD; e.g. in Cars.com, Cars is the SLD.

•••
The way I see it it this..... .com will always be the top of the world as a whole. Maybe certain countries may look to their ccTLD but overall .com prevails in peoples minds. I will check .com when looking for something and if its not there I will go to .net .org and so on. Being that I am in the US does not make me want to got to the .us site. Its just one on the list.

•••
i'm from the .us and I rather brand a .com Not a single one of my business associates in the u.s.a. has used a .us so I will dissagree for now and say that cctld is not going to take over .com We have the big boys to thank for marketing .com for us. eg yahoo, hotmail, microsoft etc.. .com is king and will remain king for a very long time.

•••
I posted this at another site and have borrowed it as it pertains to this thread.

Response to a post stating that allf all new TLDs are "silly" and to s"tick w/ .com domains":

This is how I break it down:

-Information is what the majority of users seek on the internet.
-Info abbrev.= info in English, the Romance languages and German
-Of all the TLDs, Info provides the most clear cut definition of what it will provide and has not had its original purpose redefined as is the case w/ .net and .org.
-Out of all the new and proposed TLD's, .Info has the best oppurtunity to flourish. :talk:

-.Com rules- the first, the famous, the most prized, in it's own class. Thankyou Fortune 500. :bingo:
-.Com names have been mined, regged, traded, and worked over for years, and to get a good one, (forget top or very good), you need to be either wealthy or lucky.
-.Com will continue to rule the address bar for some time to come, but not necessarily search engine position.
-If you already have a portfolio of good+ .com domains, .com is the way to go. If you don't, I would suggest finding an alternative.
-As world population grows and the internet continues to spread out, .com will be unable to satisfy the increased demand for domain addresses.

-Search engine optimization is about good search terms, keywords, links and traffic.
-Extentions can, to varying degrees, influence these factors, but are not , by any means, the primary force influencing them. For instance, all of the pure three letter (LLL) and 3 digit (###) names for the 5 major TLDs (and .us), are, as of this week, no longer available (perhaps a couple of .us ### stragglers are still avail.) In this particular case, brevity (seondarily, order) is the primary consideration. Although the TLD value hierarchy remains, people have been buying up three character org, info, bizand us domains because brevity equates w/ rarity and exclusivity. I'd be very happy to have Mp3.biz or even Mp3Link.biz, thankyou, very much. :sold:

-Good terms will always be prized and increase in value, regardless of ext.
-The net is barely out of it's infancy. Many interesting, exciting, and unanticipated changes are in store for us, over the next 20 years. :gl:

Last edited:
•••
Originally posted by .edu
i'm from the .us and I rather brand a .com Not a single one of my business associates in the u.s.a. has used a .us so I will dissagree for now and say that cctld is not going to take over .com We have the big boys to thank for marketing .com for us. eg yahoo, hotmail, microsoft etc.. .com is king and will remain king for a very long time.

I agree with this fine and correct statement. How many US companies have .us domains as their main sites? And further -- how many Internet users even know .us can be registered? Not many.

•••
This is an interesting discussion. I am not in a position to comment on the future of us domains, however I live in the uk and have spent time in a number of other European countries. My observations are that most companies in uk and germany advertise on tv, in magazines and on their vans etc using the co.uk and de domains. Being the third and fourth largest economies in the world enables these countries to support their ccTLD where smaller economies might not. Recent sales listed on dnjournal show their increasing value. Looking to the future, most kids in the uk visit bbc.co.uk educational sites, so an entire generation is growing up with that domain as a preference. Most none tech people in the uk know co.uk and com but have never heard of org and net and if you check out a list of uk based web design companies you will see that the majority seem to use co.uk in preference to com. This might be a situation unique to uk and germany.

Last edited:
•••
For a quick (uneducated) Australian perspective, .com.au cannot be registered without an ABN (has to be a business). If business.com.au was available I would not be able to register it anyway (I'm not a business)...so business.com will always matter more to me, further (and I'm sure there would be some if I looked hard enough)...I dont remember seeing an Australian business online that was not .com.au... .com does not seem to matter much to Australian business. If there is a company in australia that i want to surf, I just type there name and presume the ext is .com.au...which it invariably is. A few years ago I thought that .com was an American ccTLD!! Harvey Norman for example, one of Australias largest electrical retailers operate with ccTLD Harveynorman.com.au...they own harveynorman.com but do not even use it, dont even direct from it! If they thought that someone looking for the site would consider using the .com ext they would of course redirect from that site or similar...but they know that no one would do that, they would presume the tld was .com.au.

•••
The situation is different in the Philippines, where most companies use .com or .net. There are some that go for .com.ph, but they are few. A few reasons I can think of:

- The largest Philippine sites use .com/.net - Edsamail.com, Yehey.com and Inq7.net, for example.

- It is still possible to to find good local keywords in .com/.net.

- .com.ph still costs $35 per year.

•••
I still think that .com will dominate the business field. To me .com is more international, as you, yourself have pointed out cmos. And in a globalized environment, I would think that any competitive business will want to dig up the .com version of the domain first.

•••
Interesting KoLdArKnEsS. I've never looked into com.au and don't know much about it other than that is the registry that always shows "ERROR" when I do a name search using all tlds.

I think that .com.au and other similar domains are good for local business, but would not be effective if targeting a worldwide audience- the 5 major tlds would all be better in that regard. Nothing wrong w/ local business, however. I'd rather have a site servicing a strong local market, than a site targeting the global market that is so-so.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back