Dynadot

.ca Dot CA Discussion, Sales, and Showcase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

whitebark

Part-Time ZombieVIP Member
Impact
Domains For Next MyID .ca Auction

These are the upcoming domains and reserve range for the next/current myid.ca auction:

666.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Acrobats.ca ($251 - $500)
affordabletrips.ca ($251 - $500)
AirportRentals.ca ($1001 - $1750)
albertabyowner.ca ($251 - $500)
BridalOnline.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Broke.ca ($5001 - $7500)
CanadianDrugStores.ca ($501 - $750)
CanadianTennis.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CarStore.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CheaperFlights.ca ($101 - $250)
CraftSales.ca ($501 - $750)
DiscountTours.ca ($1001 - $1750)
DivorceTips.ca ($501 - $750)
DownloadFreeRingtone(s).ca ($2 - $100)
DUILawyers.ca ($1001 - $1750)
EasyIncome.ca ($751 - $1000)
EcoVoyage.ca ($251 - $500)
EngineeringCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
Enlargement(s).ca ($751 - $1000)
ExoticHolidays.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FashionOnline.ca ($2501 - $3750)
Fertiliser.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FitnessJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
FlightSearch.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Freebies.ca ($7501 - $10000)
FreelancingJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
FurnitureLiquidation.ca ($751 - $1000)
GayBlog.ca ($251 - $500)
GayCanada.ca ($3751 - $5000)
HealthGuide.ca ($1001 - $1750)
HearingAids.ca ($7501 - $10000)
Hired.ca ($7501 - $10000)
HockeyGame.ca ($1001 - $1750)
homegardens.ca ($251 - $500)
HowToDance.ca ($501 - $750)
iBlogs.ca ($751 - $1000)
InternetHelp.ca ($251 - $500)
InternetPhones.ca ($1751 - $2500)
JFK.ca ($1001 - $1750)
JointVenture.ca ($2501 - $3750)
KitchenWare.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Lake-Ontario.ca ($1001 - $1750)
LogosOnline.ca ($501 - $750)
Mask.ca ($3751 - $5000)
MontrealLaser.ca ($251 - $500)
MontrealTravel.ca ($1001 - $1750)
MusicJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
NutritionJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
OakvilleFlowers.ca ($501 - $750)
OnlineCoupons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
OnlineDates.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineGaming.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineStock.ca ($751 - $1000)
OnlineStocks.ca ($751 - $1000)
OrganicStore.ca ($1751 - $2500)
PharmaceuticalCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
PizzaRestaurant(s).ca ($101 - $250)
PrivatePilots.ca ($501 - $750)
ProFootball.ca ($251 - $500)
QuebecHoneymoons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
RollerBlading.ca ($5001 - $7500)
SaskatoonRealtors.ca ($101 - $250)
SelfImprovement.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Sensual.ca ($10001 - $15000)
Shareware.ca ($15001 - $25000)
SingleChristian.ca ($251 - $500)
SmallJob.ca ($1001 - $1750)
SNN.ca ($251 - $500)
Snores.ca ($1751 - $2500)
SportsStore.ca ($501 - $750)
TechJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TeddyBear.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Theme.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TNN.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputer.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputers.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoDentists.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TravelAuction.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UniqueGifts.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UsedHouses.ca ($251 - $500)
UsedLaptops.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Valuable.ca ($501 - $750)
VancouverHomeForSale.ca ($101 - $250)
War.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Women.ca ($50000)

I can see a number of these getting picked up - there a few others I'm surprised they accepted the high reserve and can't see selling because of it. What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This week is really bad, as even the viable names are not that great in terms of brandabiity, but due to the ultra-low supply, are all being bid into the stratosphere by desperate investors scrabbling for the same crumbs.

Not a good week at all, and one that I have been outbid from already.

And Dec-Jan .CA sales from verifiable sources haven't exactly been breaking any records.

Last edited:
•••
•••
This week is really bad, as even the viable names are not that great in terms of brandabiity, but due to the ultra-low supply, are all being bid into the stratosphere by desperate investors scrabbling for the same crumbs.

Not a good week at all, and one that I have been outbid from already.

And Dec-Jan .CA sales from verifiable sources haven't exactly been breaking any records.

If you’re looking at reported .CA sales they have been weak for a very long time. Looking at the history of sales in the earlier years there were a lot of sales only because TBR domains were being reported.

•••
I'm talking about a lot of different sources, both private and public, and rest assured that November-January were not bumper crops for .CA sales, no matter the qualification.

I've run into this trend myself, and after a really good 2020, things dropped off the table in November (post-CERB) and although demand remained, offer prices were much lower and everyone seems to be looking for pandemic-related deals.

Last edited:
•••
The only source that matters to me is what’s public. Private sales that are unreported do not count as sales in my books unless there is actual proof in which case why can’t they be public?

In regards to CERB I can’t believe you would think someone who is unemployed receiving $2,000 a month can afford to buy domain names. Also, CERB simply is now called CRB and is still $500 a week. Nothing has really changed from my understanding.

In regards to TBR prices I really don’t see them rising. I think the quality of domains is not great which now allows for more competition on fewer domains. Look at 10-15 years ago some domains were fetching 10’s of thousands of dollars in TBR.

•••
Further to the above....

savings.ca was in TBR in 2006 and went for $36,050 USD.

banks.ca was in TBR in 2008 and went for $41,000 USD.

let’s be honest, do you see these fetching this much in TBR today? Those who are experienced and buying names today have some knowledge on the .CA market. We can’t be delusional. The .CA market is not .COM. If we purchased .COM’s it would have been a stronger investment and I still believe that to be true today.

•••
Proof? To get a private domain sale on Namebio, what legal proof do you need? I could create fake invoices all day, especially using my own corporations as the basis, and fake a lot of sales that are only internal transfers - and people do this, which is why I only trust known domain marketplaces.

Also, please don't compare TBR prices from the early-2000's with today, as so much has changed in the domain landscape (Google algorithms, the parking crash, fewer companies needing domains, etc.) it's purely Apples and Oranges, and those fruit are from totally different planets. Idiot generics like Banks.ca and Savings.ca were priced high because they also brought in massive parking revenue, and trust me, it was lucrative. After Google killed parking, take a zero or more off those prices.

And when I say "TBR prices are rising", please extrapolate that to the current era (1-3 years) and against relatively similar domains. Using that as a basis, I would state that many .CA sectors have seen a noticeable jump in TBR prices in 2020 and the data is solid on this, while others (like LLLs) have experienced a slight fall from grace.

And as for CERB, that was a tide that raised all boats, and created higher demand in all levels of investment, from Bitcoin to the stock market, and yes, some even filtered down to domains. But having all those government workers are home, collecting full paychecks with nothing to waste it on, was almost certainly a larger factor.

Just wait til everyone goes back to work, and has their Starbucks coffees and munches and clothes and phones and other junk to buy, and we'll see if the TBR (and Bitcoin and stocks) reflect this change in lifestyle.

Last edited:
•••
Those prices fetched back in the day had nothing to do with parking revenue. Especially on those 2 that I mentioned above. Parking revenue was terrible even 10 years ago on .CA domains. Unless you were buying typos or you had TM domains there wasn’t money being made. The prices that were being fetched was simply based on the hope of the .CA market.

Look at the people who are dropping domains today, they are domainers. Domainers who realize that many of these average .CA domains are not worth the investment in .CA. You need very high quality of domains in this market but most of all you need a lot of luck.

•••
I've said this forever - you need to treat .CA like the top 10% of the .COM market.

The problem is, that this "top 10% of .COM" is constantly evolving and those examples you posted were hot US generics at the time, with the potential for flipping or sale, plus huge type-in parking revenues on .COM. If parking wasn't worth it on .CA (I was mostly parking in .COM back then) then why in the world did they sell for those prices? Mass insanity?

You also need to buy cheap, stick to your guns quality-wise, and have a solid plan if you want to make money. Most people out there are just paying for a hobby and never track their revenue vs, expenditures because the result would chill them to the bone.

And yes, the .CA market is incredibly random - you can have a stable full of premium 1-words and top LLLs, yet get almost no interest at all, and then some whacky domain you picked up on a whim suddenly sells.

But in the long run, buying quality as cheap as you can will always win out.

Last edited:
•••
Don't own any .ca domains, but this might be helpful for .ca investors...

hush.PNG

•••
That is very cool. Looks like they truly understand why it’s better to have a shorter .ca.

•••
Most people investing in the dot.ca industry don't have a clue about the sales that are being done and the millions that are invested in premium domains. Even regular .ca private auctions where domain names reach nearly $100,000 Canadian and they are offered for resale. Investing or developing .ca domains can be fantastic opportunities for people that are investing or developing a business. Think about the money left on the table with poor branding, crazy names and no strategy for the future. Personally I will never disclose the private auctions or sales were I would be participating as seller or buyer. Most investors are short term and have short term views on investments. To make real money in the industry you will need a long term vision 20-40 years or be a quick flipper with small margins in general. Both can work depending on marketing and business model you have for your investments.

•••
Investing or developing .ca domains can be fantastic opportunities for people that are investing or developing a business

Definitely a double edged sword. The .ca market isn't nearly as saturated as .com, nor is demand as great. It's one thing to invest in trends, another to acquire solid names. There are still some great domains still to be had. I got lucky this week and found: edulab/edulabs that I am quite confident in, either for development or resale.

:beaver:

Last edited:
•••
Definitely a double edged sword. The .ca market isn't nearly as saturated as .com, nor is demand as great.

This is absolutely true, and Canadian companies are not only far, far, far, far fewer than their US/world counterparts, they are also much cheaper with expenditures and don't tend to recognize the value or a core online brand or a shorter domain.

Canadian Tire is a great example, and this is a $15 Billion a year giant that seemingly doesn't want to buy either CT.ca or CTC.ca (or any CT+Letter that makes sense) as an alt so that their loyal customers don't have to sit in the parking lot in winter, typing in C-A-N-A-D-I-AN-T-I-R-E.C-A on their phones just to check stock on windshield wiper blades.

That's the problem all .CA investors face, a limited online vision and a sheer blindness to the fact that we're in 2021, likely exacerbated by the almost-total lack of competition in our monopolistic nation of billionaire business prophets.

Last edited:
•••
Even regular .ca private auctions where domain names reach nearly $100,000 Canadian and they are offered for resale.

Can you provide more info on this?

•••
Most investors are short term and have short term views on investments. To make real money in the industry you will need a long term vision 20-40 years or be a quick flipper with small margins in general.

I view domaining as a side business, and I would never take my paycheck and start pouring it into domains as an "investment" simply because the divestment process is not the same as something like stocks, gold, or crypto, and there is no "quick cashout" button for domains. It also moves domaining into the "hobby" territory.

I view domains as a side business where the process needs to pay the domain bills and create consistent income. I keep careful track of revenue and expenses, and have a bank account I use only for domaining. If that bank account ever reaches $0, I stop buying and will need to make serious decisions on renewals.

I feel that using your paycheck as a funding device for your "domain investing" essentially abrogates fiscal responsibility for it create real income (similar to Homer Simpson's "Grease Business") and can get people into serious trouble. If domaining wasn't "paying the bills" I wouldn't be doing it, as I have far more enjoyable (and money-hungry) hobbies already.

To those not familiar with Homer's Grease Business, here's the scenario when he sells his grease from cooking many packs of bacon:

Employee: Four pounds of grease… that comes to… sixty-three cents.

Homer Simpson: Woo-hoo!

Bart Simpson: Dad, all that bacon cost twenty-seven dollars.

Homer Simpson: Yeah, but your mom paid for that!

Bart Simpson: But doesn’t she get her money from you?

Homer Simpson: And I get my money from grease! What’s the problem?

Or as the polar opposite of Homer Simpson, Bill Gates, famously stated, "Business isn’t that complicated. Take sales, take costs, and try to get this big positive number at the bottom."

Last edited:
•••
•••
I view domaining as a side business, and I would never take my paycheck and start pouring it into domains as an "investment" simply because the divestment process is not the same as something like stocks, gold, or crypto, and there is no "quick cashout" button for domains. It also moves domaining into the "hobby" territory.

You are looking at domain investing from your point of view (that is often the best place), that may not be the only way people make money in the domain industry. Your business model is buy cheap and sell high and anything that goes higher than minimum in TBR cuts in the profits so the lower cost or less competion for TBR is better. There are other business models that use different metrics for investing for example by "TheInvestor" purchase better domain and aim for higher resale pricing with limiting overall renewal fees.
Others rely on cpm or referral revenue for cost per click to pay renewals and sell the other for profit it also can be a great way to make money on targeted investment. By limiting domains to a few categories you are limiting the amazing potential of domain investment that is available to all of us. Using domains for online stores, marketing, lead generation , traffic generation, social influencing , or simply having a domain for your business that reflects easy to remember, typing, reflecting the product you are selling, promoting, the implied trust factor from expensive great domains that generates business. Be open for domain values that reflect earning & business potential that maybe by trial and error as we see in the TBR 8000 domains get dumped and only 100-200 have value for domain investors to purchase all others enter the recycling.
I will agree a 100% if your investment module is not working for you, make sure that you asses avenues that can better serve your goals and objectives for your investment money.

The future looks great, easy access to consumers , drop shipping, anyone starting a business online has the option for consulting with instant client access by zoom or similar platforms, web stores, crafts, anyone creative person can add value for themselves that leaves the big question "where do I start" ?
The future is changing make sure that you are part of the change.
The smartest people will start with a great domain the second smartest will upgrade to a great domain.
Location is the key for any sales, today the main location is on the internet with a prime/great domain. Don't be left behind invest/choose your future by making the right investments.

•••
•••

I view domains as a side business where the process needs to pay the domain bills and create consistent income. I keep careful track of revenue and expenses, and have a bank account I use only for domaining. If that bank account ever reaches $0, I stop buying and will need to make serious decisions on renewals.

I feel that using your paycheck as a funding device for your "domain investing" essentially abrogates fiscal responsibility for it create real income (similar to Homer Simpson's "Grease Business") and can get people into serious trouble. If domaining wasn't "paying the bills" I wouldn't be doing it, as I have far more enjoyable (and money-hungry) hobbies already.

To those not familiar with Homer's Grease Business, here's the scenario when he sells his grease from cooking many packs of bacon:

Employee: Four pounds of grease… that comes to… sixty-three cents.

Homer Simpson: Woo-hoo!

Bart Simpson: Dad, all that bacon cost twenty-seven dollars.

Homer Simpson: Yeah, but your mom paid for that!

Bart Simpson: But doesn’t she get her money from you?

Homer Simpson: And I get my money from grease! What’s the problem?

Or as the polar opposite of Homer Simpson, Bill Gates, famously stated, "Business isn’t that complicated. Take sales, take costs, and try to get this big positive number at the bottom."

Your views above tell me you shouldn’t even be doing domains as a hobby. You’re spending too much time with it and it’s not paying off.

It’s like when you get bad advice in stocks and you’re told you should buy penny stocks as these companies trading that low have the best chance for growth. Not sure what advice you got in domains when you first started but it clearly hasn’t been good.

I run my domains as a business it’s not a hobby. It will never be a hobby. I’ve made more money in domains than real estate and stocks combined. It makes sense now why you think these TBR prices are out of control. You’re obviously clueless at what’s happening behind the scenes and these sales that are occurring.

•••
You are looking at domain investing from your point of view (that is often the best place), that may not be the only way people make money in the domain industry.

I don't care what business model you use, as long as it actually makes money and isn't a "Homer Simpson Grease Business" where you just buy and buy, supplementing purchasing from your savings or paycheck, and don't actually "run the numbers" every month to see if your plan is profitable.

From my experience, that is how 90% of "side business" owners do things, and that's not a business, that's an expensive hobby.

A lot of other people are making money on domains they bought years or decades ago, and using that non-data to project that TBR prices in 2021 are not inflated due to the pandemic. LOL. I'm quoting a 2021 generic being sold for $5K as being a tad overpriced for the current market, and they're retorting with sales from domains they bought in 2009 - unbelievable.

Apple, meet Orange.

Also, some of your ideas on how to make money from expired domains, like parking, SEO, and traffic, are not easy to do with .ca (as opposed to .COM) as the numbers are usually not there and just a shadow of a similar .COM. I don't know of too many people who are making a massive profit off expired .CA traffic in 2021.

Last edited:
•••
Your views above tell me you shouldn’t even be doing domains as a hobby. You’re spending too much time with it and it’s not paying off.

LOL, what conversation do you think you're in? Did you even READ anything I wrote? Am I using too big words for you like "abrogate"?

And you call me clueless?

Finance/Accounting is my education, vocation, and what essentially pays the bills, so I'm the last person on Earth who would be running a "Grease Business" paid for by savings or paycheck.

Last edited:
•••
•••
LOL, what conversation do you think you're in? Did you even READ anything I wrote? Am I using too big words for you like "abrogate"?

And you call me clueless?

Finance/Accounting is my education, vocation, and what essentially pays the bills, so I'm the last person on Earth who would be running a "Grease Business" paid for by savings or paycheck.

I’ve read what you wrote over the years and over the past few weeks. I’m being very considerate with the words I choose.

•••
I’ve read what you wrote over the years and over the past few weeks. I’m being very considerate with the words I choose.

Thankfully you have very few words to choose from, and personally, I think I just hit a nerve with the "Grease Business" expose, as from my experience, that's how 90% of people run their (cough) side businesses. Sad but true.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back