IT.COM

.ca Dot CA Discussion, Sales, and Showcase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

whitebark

Part-Time ZombieVIP Member
Impact
Domains For Next MyID .ca Auction

These are the upcoming domains and reserve range for the next/current myid.ca auction:

666.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Acrobats.ca ($251 - $500)
affordabletrips.ca ($251 - $500)
AirportRentals.ca ($1001 - $1750)
albertabyowner.ca ($251 - $500)
BridalOnline.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Broke.ca ($5001 - $7500)
CanadianDrugStores.ca ($501 - $750)
CanadianTennis.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CarStore.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CheaperFlights.ca ($101 - $250)
CraftSales.ca ($501 - $750)
DiscountTours.ca ($1001 - $1750)
DivorceTips.ca ($501 - $750)
DownloadFreeRingtone(s).ca ($2 - $100)
DUILawyers.ca ($1001 - $1750)
EasyIncome.ca ($751 - $1000)
EcoVoyage.ca ($251 - $500)
EngineeringCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
Enlargement(s).ca ($751 - $1000)
ExoticHolidays.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FashionOnline.ca ($2501 - $3750)
Fertiliser.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FitnessJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
FlightSearch.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Freebies.ca ($7501 - $10000)
FreelancingJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
FurnitureLiquidation.ca ($751 - $1000)
GayBlog.ca ($251 - $500)
GayCanada.ca ($3751 - $5000)
HealthGuide.ca ($1001 - $1750)
HearingAids.ca ($7501 - $10000)
Hired.ca ($7501 - $10000)
HockeyGame.ca ($1001 - $1750)
homegardens.ca ($251 - $500)
HowToDance.ca ($501 - $750)
iBlogs.ca ($751 - $1000)
InternetHelp.ca ($251 - $500)
InternetPhones.ca ($1751 - $2500)
JFK.ca ($1001 - $1750)
JointVenture.ca ($2501 - $3750)
KitchenWare.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Lake-Ontario.ca ($1001 - $1750)
LogosOnline.ca ($501 - $750)
Mask.ca ($3751 - $5000)
MontrealLaser.ca ($251 - $500)
MontrealTravel.ca ($1001 - $1750)
MusicJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
NutritionJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
OakvilleFlowers.ca ($501 - $750)
OnlineCoupons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
OnlineDates.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineGaming.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineStock.ca ($751 - $1000)
OnlineStocks.ca ($751 - $1000)
OrganicStore.ca ($1751 - $2500)
PharmaceuticalCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
PizzaRestaurant(s).ca ($101 - $250)
PrivatePilots.ca ($501 - $750)
ProFootball.ca ($251 - $500)
QuebecHoneymoons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
RollerBlading.ca ($5001 - $7500)
SaskatoonRealtors.ca ($101 - $250)
SelfImprovement.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Sensual.ca ($10001 - $15000)
Shareware.ca ($15001 - $25000)
SingleChristian.ca ($251 - $500)
SmallJob.ca ($1001 - $1750)
SNN.ca ($251 - $500)
Snores.ca ($1751 - $2500)
SportsStore.ca ($501 - $750)
TechJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TeddyBear.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Theme.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TNN.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputer.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputers.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoDentists.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TravelAuction.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UniqueGifts.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UsedHouses.ca ($251 - $500)
UsedLaptops.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Valuable.ca ($501 - $750)
VancouverHomeForSale.ca ($101 - $250)
War.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Women.ca ($50000)

I can see a number of these getting picked up - there a few others I'm surprised they accepted the high reserve and can't see selling because of it. What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nice sale! Need you to broker my names :xf.wink:

•••
Nice sale! Need you to broker my names :xf.wink:

Haha, no need for a broker, the formula is simple. Set your price, then be prepared to say no to anything less.

•••
Haha, no need for a broker, the formula is simple. Set your price, then be prepared to say no to anything less.

While not as exact, I did a similar thing and decided this year to only buy domains that I intended to sell for 4-figures or higher and to never take less.

Amazingly, I now have a nice string of 4-figure sales.

•••
On a scale of 1 to com.au how strict is .ca
Can a lay foreigner participate in the gold rush?

•••
On a scale of 1 to com.au how strict is .ca
Can a lay foreigner participate in the gold rush?

Nope, Canucks only and I hardly think there is much gold in these hills, just a ton of government money and lots of people sitting at home.

•••
Nope, Canucks only and I hardly think there is much gold in these hills, just a ton of government money and lots of people sitting at home.
When I was younger I had several chance to move to CA. I used to work for Manulife in the US on a US Visa and ALberta etc were handing out citizenships to US Visa holders then, but Canada felt so boring when you are younger, and living in Boston. Now I wish I moved lol

•••
•••
This recent .CA Gold Rush brings to mind that scene from Jaws, where the old islanders are leading the newbies into the rocks:

aa6d1325-9a5f-4894-99cc-97194abaeaf9_text_hi.gif

"When we get them silly bastards down in that rock pile, it'll be some fun, they'll wish their fathers had never met their mothers."

•••
Anyone else imagining RLM driving the boat?

Last edited:
•••
Anyone else imagining RLM driving the boat?

Its not me.

asset.ca sold for around $4300+
outside.ca sold for around $1800+
parity.ca sold for around $1200+
superfast.ca sold for around $700+

I didn't win any of those auctions.

They were all at MyID. I don't think anything even remotely came close to those prices on Sibername.

And you may remember that superfast.ca was actually in last weeks TBR. I was listed as the high bidder at $61 on myid, and watched the auction end. When they didn't invoice me for it, I asked why. They said I didn't win it. I showed them the email showing I was the high bidder, then they said there was some technical problem and that apparently two people thought they were the winner. So they said they'd re-run the auction this week. Today it looked as if there were 3 people bidding on it because I'm pretty sure I saw the price move at a time I hadn't even bid. So if you're a myid conspiracy theorist, there is some more fuel for the fire. It went from me thinking I won it for $61 last week to it selling for $700+ today.

•••
Its not me.

outside.ca sold for around $1800+
parity.ca sold for around $1200+
superfast.ca sold for around $700+
Are these all some drop catch auctions?

•••
•••
•••
I think it is very rare that an end user participates. So it is purely speculative buying.

Last edited:
•••
Its not me.

No, I meant you're the "old salt" waiting for all the high-flying, crazy-spending, Gold Rush newbies to hit the rocks.

Prices right now are insane, and it's been widely reported that a lot of CERB money is being put into investments like the stock market, Bticoin/crypto, and domains, so there is no question in my mind that this is what's happening right now to the TBR.

Not that I ever wish bad to anyone personally, but I hate these fake "Gold Rush" periods where everyone and their dog jumps on looking for "quick money", then realizes the exact opposite and bails with most of their domains flying back onto the TBR next year.

And as for MyID, I think we all know the game there, and that's why I never deal with them. I also know of another trick I shared earlier that keeps cropping up - someone misses a domain they want, investor or end user, and then goes to the registrar who won it, offers $XXXX for the domain, and then the "house" places bids for them even though they should not be in the auction.

Like you said with suoperfast.ca, if there are supposed to be 2 active bidders and you *know* neither are bidding, yet the price goes up......

Our society is sooooo incredibly centered on money and even dirtier ways to get more money that ethics and fairness get thrown out the window and the whole system is poised to collapse.

Last edited:
•••
I think it is very rare that an end user participates. So it is purely speculative buying.

But sometimes there are brokers who are bidding for end users, but like you said, not that often.

•••
No, I meant you're the "old salt" waiting for all the high-flying, crazy-spending, Gold Rush newbies to hit the rocks.

Yes, I'm definitely in the "old salt" camp. I'm not sure they are really even Gold Rush newbies. As everyone has noticed in the past, it sure feels like its an inside job @ myid, someone who doesn't really have to pay for those domains.

•••
Yes, I'm definitely in the "old salt" camp. I'm not sure they are really even Gold Rush newbies. As everyone has noticed in the past, it sure feels like its an inside job @ myid, someone who doesn't really have to pay for those domains.

Agreed, and I just meant overall in terms of the increased demand and prices, even taking the potential "funny business" at MyID out of the equation.

And yes, it must be very easy to bid 4-figures when you're only paying $10.

Last edited:
•••
And as for MyID, I think we all know the game there, and that's why I never deal with them. I also know of another trick I shared earlier that keeps cropping up - someone misses a domain they want, investor or end user, and then goes to the registrar who won it, offers $XXXX for the domain, and then the "house" places bids for them even though they should not be in the auction.

Like you said with suoperfast.ca, if there are supposed to be 2 active bidders and you *know* neither are bidding, yet the price goes up......

Our society is sooooo incredibly centered on money and even dirtier ways to get more money that ethics and fairness get thrown out the window and the whole system is poised to collapse.

That's not true about MyID... I have hundreds of domains with them, and have spent quite a bit on their TBR over the years.

Earlier this year, I took a nap and overslept, and so I didn't put in bids on some domains I wanted. Later that day, I saw that MyID caught those domains, so I asked if I could take part in the auctions, but they said that it was unfortunately just too late. So even though I spend a lot with them, I didn't get to bid.

Also, at MyID, you don't know how many other bidders there are (which yeah, isn't good for bidders... and I think Sibername is that way too?). But I think what rlm was saying was that he deduced that there were at least 3 bidders (or more), because at one point, he wasn't the high bidder, but then the high bid amount increased, which meant that a 3rd bidder must have put in a bid.

I don't do much with TBRs anymore though... but I'm amazed at how high those prices above posted by rlm are.

Because of renewal fees, I've lost money on my .ca's, so I focus on .com

Last edited:
•••
Looks like possibly the same buyer as Matrix. You sure it isn’t you RLM? :)

DomainRecap could be right, some CERB money floating around.

•••
CERB money isn’t spending 4k+ on domains ...imho

•••
CERB money isn’t spending 4k+ on domains ...imho

Maybe they have been saving it up. lol ;)

In all honesty, I just think it’s a new investor into the TBR’s. Or a current investor who decided to change landing pages. Either way, they have some big aspirations with their minimum starting prices. They are definitely aiming high and why not!

•••
Because of renewal fees, I've lost money on my .ca's, so I focus on .com

This is very true, and just because of the MASSIVE difference in market sizes (8 billion vs 37 million), the vast majority of investors will do better with .COM. I know I have, but I've also done okay with .CA (plus I love just owning .CA premium words I could never afford on .COM), but you need to be extremely careful with your money or renewals will eat you up.

It's a tough balancing act when domain investing is a long-term game where you should really count on 5 years of renewals when you buy any domain. If you choose poorly, that can be a back-breaking debt load and when you calculate your return, you need to look at the profit on your entire portfolio, not just individual sales.

I see people on Twitter bragging about a 5-10X return on a single domain, but what about the carrying cost of the rest of them? Mike Mann is a great example of this - he has made $2.8 million in sales so far this year, but just his renewals alone (and no other expenses) are estimated at $3 million.

That carrying cost is like the monster in the closet for a lot of domainers.

And worst of all, Canadian companies are soooooo cheap when it comes to premium .CA names that few outside this area would believe it. You'll see hypothetical companies with millions in revenue operating on something crappy like RadiantMedicalTechnologies.com, yet will balk at paying more than $100 for Radiant.ca. They just don't see the massive benefit in advertising, email, eye appeal, and about a million other positives, derived from moving from a 20+ letter monstrosity to a 4-9 letter core brand domain.

That's why these recent .CA prices flabbergast me - if you're paying that much at wholesale, you need multiples of that back on an end-user sale, and the higher the asking price, the more likely you get a) significant price resistance or b) a CDRP.

Last edited:
•••
That's not true about MyID... I have hundreds of domains with them, and have spent quite a bit on their TBR over the years.

I agree, I don't think that is what was happening.

Earlier this year, I took a nap and overslept, and so I didn't put in bids on some domains I wanted. Later that day, I saw that MyID caught those domains, so I asked if I could take part in the auctions, but they said that it was unfortunately just too late. So even though I spend a lot with them, I didn't get to bid.

I've had the same experience.

But I think what rlm was saying was that he deduced that there were at least 3 bidders (or more), because at one point, he wasn't the high bidder, but then the high bid amount increased, which meant that a 3rd bidder must have put in a bid.

Exactly.

It would be great if there was transparency in TBR auctions to avoid all this conspiracy theory stuff...

•••
Looks like possibly the same buyer as Matrix. You sure it isn’t you RLM? :)

Definitely not me - although it quite often seems like I'm the second to last bidder. As soon as I quit bidding or get distracted and miss bidding (which happens more than I'd like to admit, squirrel!), then the auction immediately ends. MyID should pay me a commission!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back