Dynadot

.ca Dot CA Discussion, Sales, and Showcase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

whitebark

Part-Time ZombieVIP Member
Impact
Domains For Next MyID .ca Auction

These are the upcoming domains and reserve range for the next/current myid.ca auction:

666.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Acrobats.ca ($251 - $500)
affordabletrips.ca ($251 - $500)
AirportRentals.ca ($1001 - $1750)
albertabyowner.ca ($251 - $500)
BridalOnline.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Broke.ca ($5001 - $7500)
CanadianDrugStores.ca ($501 - $750)
CanadianTennis.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CarStore.ca ($1001 - $1750)
CheaperFlights.ca ($101 - $250)
CraftSales.ca ($501 - $750)
DiscountTours.ca ($1001 - $1750)
DivorceTips.ca ($501 - $750)
DownloadFreeRingtone(s).ca ($2 - $100)
DUILawyers.ca ($1001 - $1750)
EasyIncome.ca ($751 - $1000)
EcoVoyage.ca ($251 - $500)
EngineeringCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
Enlargement(s).ca ($751 - $1000)
ExoticHolidays.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FashionOnline.ca ($2501 - $3750)
Fertiliser.ca ($1001 - $1750)
FitnessJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
FlightSearch.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Freebies.ca ($7501 - $10000)
FreelancingJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
FurnitureLiquidation.ca ($751 - $1000)
GayBlog.ca ($251 - $500)
GayCanada.ca ($3751 - $5000)
HealthGuide.ca ($1001 - $1750)
HearingAids.ca ($7501 - $10000)
Hired.ca ($7501 - $10000)
HockeyGame.ca ($1001 - $1750)
homegardens.ca ($251 - $500)
HowToDance.ca ($501 - $750)
iBlogs.ca ($751 - $1000)
InternetHelp.ca ($251 - $500)
InternetPhones.ca ($1751 - $2500)
JFK.ca ($1001 - $1750)
JointVenture.ca ($2501 - $3750)
KitchenWare.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Lake-Ontario.ca ($1001 - $1750)
LogosOnline.ca ($501 - $750)
Mask.ca ($3751 - $5000)
MontrealLaser.ca ($251 - $500)
MontrealTravel.ca ($1001 - $1750)
MusicJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
NutritionJob.ca ($751 - $1000)
OakvilleFlowers.ca ($501 - $750)
OnlineCoupons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
OnlineDates.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineGaming.ca ($2501 - $3750)
OnlineStock.ca ($751 - $1000)
OnlineStocks.ca ($751 - $1000)
OrganicStore.ca ($1751 - $2500)
PharmaceuticalCareer.ca ($751 - $1000)
PizzaRestaurant(s).ca ($101 - $250)
PrivatePilots.ca ($501 - $750)
ProFootball.ca ($251 - $500)
QuebecHoneymoons.ca ($1001 - $1750)
RollerBlading.ca ($5001 - $7500)
SaskatoonRealtors.ca ($101 - $250)
SelfImprovement.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Sensual.ca ($10001 - $15000)
Shareware.ca ($15001 - $25000)
SingleChristian.ca ($251 - $500)
SmallJob.ca ($1001 - $1750)
SNN.ca ($251 - $500)
Snores.ca ($1751 - $2500)
SportsStore.ca ($501 - $750)
TechJobs.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TeddyBear.ca ($1001 - $1750)
Theme.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TNN.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputer.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoComputers.ca ($251 - $500)
TorontoDentists.ca ($2501 - $3750)
TravelAuction.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UniqueGifts.ca ($2501 - $3750)
UsedHouses.ca ($251 - $500)
UsedLaptops.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Valuable.ca ($501 - $750)
VancouverHomeForSale.ca ($101 - $250)
War.ca ($1751 - $2500)
Women.ca ($50000)

I can see a number of these getting picked up - there a few others I'm surprised they accepted the high reserve and can't see selling because of it. What do you think?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Example: if abc.toronto.bc.ca exists, then abc.ca is reserved. Today, since 3rd and 4th levels can't be registered, if the city of toronto wanted abc.toronto.ca - they'd just set that up in their own DNS, no registration required.

Nope, non-restricted domains are not allowed to be registered because they were previously (prior to CIRA/early-CIRA) registered at the provincial level and sometimes at the city level, but I don't think somethig like abc.toronto.on.ca was allowed, as the exact format for municipalities used to be:

city.toronto.on.ca

The reason ABC.CA is reserved is because of Atlantic Business College at: https://abc.nb.ca

Last edited:
•••
Almost every week I think.

Not as bad as this week, where as I noted, ALL of my 10+ domains I bid on were taken by MyID. That has never happened before, and I'm thinking they had some definite info on how the new system works and how to exploit it.

•••
Not as bad as this week, where as I noted, ALL of my 10+ domains I bid on were taken by MyID. That has never happened before, and I'm thinking they had some definite info on how the new system works and how to exploit it.
What was your favorite domain on the week?

•••
What was your favorite domain on the weak, I like pear the best.

Pear
TCP
Centaur
Shane
Acquire
WFM
BuyCannabis

I even had some fun ones I was looking at, and MyID even grabbed JingleBells.

Last edited:
•••
I didn't see much action on TCP after that, could have been one more bid on it.

Last name I saw on the day was Locate.ca which was at around $4xx

I think BuyCannabis took home the prize of the highest price paid for all the auctions I saw.

I often wonder who is bidding on these to get them this high, investors, developers or businesses?

For something like REDLINE.CA, it would have to be something like:

https://www.en.redline-boutique.com/

http://rdlcom.com/

•••
I often wonder who is bidding on these to get them this high, investors, developers or businesses?

For something like REDLINE.CA, it would have to be something like:

https://www.en.redline-boutique.com/

http://rdlcom.com/

Am I the only one that got the extra hour added on so they could bring in more bidders or talk existing bidders up?

I created a support ticket asking for the ISP contact to verify their story. So far no response.

•••
Am I the only one that got the extra hour added on so they could bring in more bidders or talk existing bidders up?

R-2328618-1277771840.jpeg.jpg

•••
Nope, ...
The reason ABC.CA is reserved is because of Atlantic Business College at: https://abc.nb.ca

Haha, I'll Nope your Nope. :)

abc.ca was just intended to be a made-up example which is why I just picked something simple like abc. So yes, abc in particular is restricted due to the abc.nb.ca as pointed out. I should have used a wildcard or something in my example rather than abc. my bad for leaving the possibility for confusion.

But there are 4th level domains reserved at the second level, even though there is no 3rd level, and the second level is the municipality. And the 4th level name is not owned by the municipality.

So for example:

{word}.{municipality}.{province}.ca is registered by an individual.
{municipality}.{province}.ca is NOT registered.
{municipality}.ca is registered to the municipality.
{word}.{province}.ca is NOT registered in any provincial extension.

I can't register {word}.ca because of the first example.

I'm not willing to divulge my particular example, but, I'll see if I can find one I am willing to show.

•••

I created a support ticket asking for the ISP contact to verify their story. So far no response.
You mean the server issues?

•••
•••

Well, many registrars did HORRIBLE because they were simply not on-the-ball for getting this implemented and tested as best they could in advance. Even with a second week to prepare, many did bad.

Two registrars (including myid) kinda had their shit together and did pretty well. Of course they were going to look even better than usual because the others combined usually take a bigger slice of the pie. So when you're competition goes away, you naturally do better. So I wouldn't call it exploitation, just a lack of competition due to poor implementation. I would hope and presume that over the next few weeks we'll see the distribution go back to normal levels.

•••
Abc.ca use to be in use not too long ago. I actually inquired about it a couple years or so ago and they responded with it’s not for sale. So for some reason, it ended up “dropping” but was never actually dropped. I actually made a thread on here about it. I just have to find it.

•••

I received two emails saying the same thing, around 9am and 9:15am (PST) if I remember correctly.

Personally, I don't think one added hour was going to make any difference at all.

This appears to be a case where the pre-existing commonly held mistrust of MyID is getting people to think _everything_ they do is bad and intentional. I had no problem with the hour delay today - I don't think this was malicious.

BTW, I'm not really trying to defend MyID. I have the same mistrust everyone else does...

•••
•••
Abc.ca use to be in use not too long ago. I actually inquired about it a couple years or so ago and they responded with it’s not for sale. So for some reason, it ended up “dropping” but was never actually dropped. I actually made a thread on here about it. I just have to find it.

That's probably because there was another abc.{province}.ca in existence.

•••
Pear
TCP
Centaur
Shane
Acquire
WFM
BuyCannabis

I even had some fun ones I was looking at, and MyID even grabbed JingleBells.

ugh - I was interested in centaur but got distracted and missed bidding before it closed. Did you catch the closing price?

•••
That's probably because there was another abc.{province}.ca in existence.

Indeed there is. Abc.nb.ca is in use. I was just surprised that it was dropped in the first place... E specially after I inquired about it. I only offered 3K for it at the time but still better than getting nothing for it.

•••
Judging from the last election results, the candidate would probably need about 420 votes to win the member slate vote. The domainer vote alone seems to be somewhere in the 60-120 votes range. It appears there are about 1,200 voters in the election. I think Zak Muscovitch was the closest one yet to run (and still not get elected). Chances could be much better if the candidate would be on the larger Nominating Committee Slate, but it seems you need extensive prior non profit experience in order to pass that hurdle.

PS: Thanks to @MasterOfMyDomains for pinging me, too.

Yes, we need to do a much better job of supporting a domainer or Zak if they ever run again... next time we need to have a coordinated push across multiple threads in multiple forums. Count me in to help.

They'd really hate me as I'd be bitching about nearly everything they do that isn't focused on .CA (running .ca seems to be an afterthought over there these days). They basically run a monopoly, give themselves nice paychecks, benefits, etc... have no "owner" who is concerned about the bottom line, no one to keep them in-check, no one to keep them focused on .CA.

For example, they run this d-zone dns system for a fee. WTF ?? I assume that development was completely paid for BY .ca domain name revenues. So it _should_ABSOLUTELY_ be free for any .CA. Of course I can see charging non-.CA domains to use it. In fact, this would help promote .CA because large corporations that might be willing to pay for this service would be incurring additional charges to use their .COM. But if they used their .CA it would be free. (i.e. aircanada.com). But where-the-eff do they get off developing a service with .CA revenues and then trying to charge us for it? That just seems completely wrong and against the CIRA mandate.

•••
I really don't think we need to totally abolish the Canadian Requirements, because honestly that would do more harm than good and negate any SEO advantage for Canadian firms, but like .US, .CO.UK and others, it could be opened up slightly to International companies directly doing business in Canada.

Agreed. Any big company who would be a home-run type of buyer is going to get a canadian presence anyways. Opening it up would only drive low-end competition for unregistered domains and TBR's and such. You'd be inviting in competition for ourselves - with no real upside.

•••
I received two emails saying the same thing, around 9am and 9:15am (PST) if I remember correctly.

Personally, I don't think one added hour was going to make any difference at all.

This appears to be a case where the pre-existing commonly held mistrust of MyID is getting people to think _everything_ they do is bad and intentional. I had no problem with the hour delay today - I don't think this was malicious.

BTW, I'm not really trying to defend MyID. I have the same mistrust everyone else does...

I definitely admit to that bias.

But wouldn't you tell your ISP to delay the upgrade for 90 minutes?

If I put myself into Myid's shoes in this situation, I would order them to delay. Or I would hire another ISP.

They just bought x number of names from the registry at $8ish and they resell them all for many multiples of that. Is it likely that the server might crash or hang during the upgrade? Substantially likely, causing much consternation and hard feelings and customer service issues and loss of revenue.

I freely admit to my bias...but this is another stinky fish.

•••
{word}.{municipality}.{province}.ca is registered by an individual.

I can't register {word}.ca because of the first example.

The point is, there is not supposed to be the first example, as any municipality.province.ca is supposed to be headed by "city". Either that, or it's a regular domain and the "word" part would be up to the domain owner to set at the server level.

If there was a "abc.toronto.on.ca" registered at the CIRA level, it was either a mistake or someone screwing around with the system before the CIRA stepped in.

•••
There are probably way more businesses using the name redline than you realize.

Never said there wasn't, and those were just 2 examples.

My point was that no domainer or web developer is going pony up almost $2K for redline.ca (as then you would be fighting the cost of a UDRP vs resale purchase), and it had to be businesses fighting it out.

•••
hoot.ca was at $800, I put in a bid of around 1k and that got beat.

•••
My point was that no domainer or web developer is going pony up almost $2K for redline.ca (as then you would be fighting the cost of a UDRP vs resale purchase), and it had to be businesses fighting it out.

Well I'll just say you're wrong on both points. Domainers did fight it out, and there's no need to fear UDRP if you're not infringing.

•••
There is probably about 20-30 small to mid sized businesses across the country using Redline in their business name. Someone made a calculated purchase it was worth more to them.

Hoot is another good one, good OWL play for many general business types especially software, or tech.

I really like fruit names for software companies ie) plum, pear etc...

Good .ca's have always been pricey in auctions, especially a few years back when a prominent domainer was very active in the auctions at all costs, never backing down on the bid.,

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back