Dynadot

Don't mention the s* word, whatever you do.. (sales)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Badger

Ravaged By AgeVIP Member
Impact
I always find it fascinating that the users on this forum are so succinct, accurate and realistic when anyone poses a question about domain name ownership and/or purchasing of same.

Yet when the subject of selling or marketing domains comes along, the same highly opinionated members (and i mean that in the nicest way and with the utmost of respect) are no-where to be seen and when anyone asks, for instance, 'how do i sell my domain to an end user' they get pointed in the direction of a thread showing a letter that looks like it was written by a 13 year old - "dear sir, I own the name you want, dont suppose you'll want it though but if you do its $1m"...

And then everyone raves on about how good the letter is and that perhaps it should be posted for posterity so that future generations will be able to use it. Dont make me laugh.

Is it a case that to be a domain trader means that it is likely you are very I.T literate which in turn might means that you are the sort of person where the thought of actively marketing a domain by using a telephone and/or visiting a prospective end user client fills you with dread?? Peter principal'esque.

I have the opposite problem, as a born salesman who has run a successful company for many years (non-i.t), I get top dollar for my domains selling through a number of different marketing approaches. None of which include spam emails incidentally. Unfortunately, I only buy rubbish domains...

www.kerryedwards.co.uk - see what i mean

I guess i should put my money where my mouth is after all this ranting so I will say that if anyone needs help marketing a good domain, post or pm me and i will try and help.

Maybe I should start a domain marketing site that actively sells domains.... 10%....???

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great idea for a site and as you said you have problems picking domains but can sell it's a great fit for you. Most of us do 1 thing really well and it's just up to you to find what it is and run with it.

•••
Originally posted by collieri
... I get top dollar for my domains selling through a number of different marketing approaches. None of which include spam emails incidentally. Unfortunately, I only buy rubbish domains...

www.kerryedwards.co.uk - see what i mean

I guess i should put my money where my mouth is after all this ranting so I will say that if anyone needs help marketing a good domain, post or pm me and i will try and help.

Maybe I should start a domain marketing site that actively sells domains.... 10%....???

Sounds like it may have some potential, for sure ... can you list some of your different marketing approaches and succesful top-dollar domain names sold here for us, Collieri? :talk:

I'm sure many of us could use this information for furthering our own efforts to End users, and perhaps you might even gain some business (I think 10% may be quite reasonable ... depending on the specific terms, etc.), as well.
PS. Great to see about the NON-spam! :tu:

Thanks kindly.
-Jeff :wave:

•••
ok, give me a day or so and ill PM you.

You can then bin it, list it or pm me with your thoughts,

Ok?

•••
Sounds good, I'll look for your PM! :tu:
All the best.
:wave:

•••
Salesmanship can go a long way to sell your domains. If you can cold call a company and convince them that they need your domain, I have no doubt you'll make many sales.

Now, I have no idea how you could get "top dollar" for a name like kerryedwards.co.uk. Maybe partnering with other owners to sell names is a good idea. 10% is very reasonable, and perhaps even too low if you can deliver as you say.

:tu:

•••
Sounds interesting. I'd like to see the list of your techniques.

•••
Me too! You sound so (self) confident...

•••
Cold-calling is a great technique, but finding the right person to call (ideally, the business owner, or the marketing VP) is not so easy. Cold-emailing has the same problem, as a lot of published email addresses go to frontline employees who have no idea what to make of it.

The ability to find the contact info of such key decision makers is probably half the work of successful domain selling. The ability to (sweet) sales talk being the other half of course.

PM sent.

•••
Find someone in uk who have that name, good luck :)

•••
A broker attitude kinda guy is exactly the person a someone like me >>(no pagebuilding skills, no budget, limited time and resources due to r/l commitments)<< needs to help balance the fun part of this with the dream of acually selling one. I have about 90 DN's of which 3 maybe 4 might have some above reg value, but I cant reach the end user. Please open your Site, and I'm sure I wouldnt be only novice knocking thankfully at your door.
Peace,kid5150

•••
Ok ok ok ok, I get the message/s. And all your PM's. All I can say (taking any misread over confidence aside) is that I get much higher than average returns for my domains by pro-actively marketing them. The techniques are not rocket science and you always have to weigh up your own time and effort against what you are hoping to achieve from the sale.

I have a first in business management where I majored in marketing and in my environment starting a thread such as this would almost be like trying to preach to the converted. However, I just feel that in this 'hobby world' of mine that is domain selling no-one ever seems to broach the subject of sales and I feel that this is mainly because (he says diving for cover) many of the characters and personalities that I.T. attracts are perhaps not the extrovertive types that live in my world. (NB** If you happen to take offence by that remark, I am sorry, I am being generalistic not specific and thus I hope you therefore forgive me)

And whilst I only thought of the idea whilst writing this thread, perhaps this does in fact open up a whole new niche market of active domain marketing.

And again, my strength is not the 'working out the i.t. concept of this idea' more the 'how it would work and how we would get those sales'.

Keep the PM's coming, I am writing up a glossary of domain sales techniques that I am intending to send to wavemail, tis my birthday this week so I may not have it finished until monday and seeing as though the gauntlet has been held out, I will sell my dodgy kerryedwards.co.uk if only to prove a point.....

Remember, the internet is still young, you are experienced, you do not call it the interweb (client to remain anonymous) and you are not selling to i.t. literate persons. Therefore, if you do not belittle or speak in jargon, if you explain how the name would be of benefit to someone, how exactly it would work and what they could expect by owning it, you will never sell EVER for less than £250 ($480).

happy trading guys....

Ian.

Ps. PM me those names and we'll talk.

•••
^^^

Originally posted by WaveMail.com
Sounds good, I'll look for your PM! :tu:
All the best.
:wave:

Happy Birthday, as well! :music:
Thanks.

•••
Therefore, if you do not belittle or speak in jargon, if you explain how the name would be of benefit to someone, how exactly it would work and what they could expect by owning it, you will never sell EVER for less than £250 ($480).

Got a template for this, collier?

•••
The style of your post, and the response you have apparently received, prooves your point rather well to me. Your closing statement, "Therefore, if you do not belittle or speak in jargon, if you explain how the name would be of benefit to someone, how exactly it would work and what they could expect by owning it, you will never sell EVER for less than £250 ($480).", has me hooked. :lol:

Anyone w/ the ability to consistently sell above average (mid-level) names for $400-$500 (or even $100-$300), has a ready-made niche in the name market, and will do very well for themselves. I would say, on average, most dn marketers would gladly give up 30%-50% of the sales price for the majority of their names if they could be sold for the price you have indicated. Look forward to following your progress w/ this concept.

Last edited:
•••
I am also very interested in some info about marketing domains.

Should I PM you, or wait until next week for the info to be posted?

- Omar

•••
Any Omar, up to you. (great vids by the way)

Unfortunately, I appear to have (in Dr Frankensteins words) "created a monster" in starting this thread and with at least 10hrs under my belt already I've only partially written up some sales techniques/formulas/example letters etc.

I am someone who must do it 'right' so apologies if there is a short delay before I publish.

Anyone suggest a format by which I should post the various letters and scripts once ive finished. ?? I will PM wavemail 1st so he should know what to do.

•••
we are all waitng for the "monster" to appear. anticipating a very useful primer on marketing names!!

•••
Any Omar, up to you. (great vids by the way)

Do you know, you are actually the first person that's ever said to me on the net...seriously! :D

- Omar

•••
How to make a reg fee domain look like a million dollars in a week
-- by colliert

hmm, will make a good read.

•••
No such thing as a 'reg fee domain' Mole!. A, If you buy something worth nothing then that is foolish and B, if your selling any domains to anyone at reg fee then your sweat and toil in domain name trading is frankly, well, pointless...

And also, tis easy for one to criticise and have conviction when standing on the peripheral...

•••
I disagree, collier. "Looking like" and "selling for" a million dollars are 2 one very different things.

I think Sedo has a very professional way of domain evaluation that will polish an domain up. Which reminds me...

•••
i guess in the very least youve stopped refering to me as colliert
Originally posted by mole
I disagree, collier. "Looking like" and "selling for" a million dollars are 2 one very different things.

yet i still dont understandwhat this means??

•••
No such thing as a 'reg fee domain'

Have you been by the appraisal forum yet? :lol:

•••
Ok, It might be, that between another NP'r and myself we will have an active marketing site (for the marketing of domains) up and running in the next few weeks. So, on a trial basis, if anyone wants any of their domains marketed for them please either post or PM me the details of the domain including: -

[domain], [price reqd], [settle at price], [meaning of name], [potential end users], [any other info]

Please ensure you only send us your moderate to good domains (.com prefered) and please no TM violations.

Thanks

Ian

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back