IT.COM

technology DomainTools rolls out new Ukraine-related tool

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
DomainTools (DT) parses domain data daily; their signals show that there's a considerable increase in the registration of domains that include keywords related to Ukraine. That, might pose a security threat as the global interest in Ukraine is extremely high.

DT has now made available a daily list of Ukraine-related registrations that while free, comes with no warranties. More here.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I might be being completely thick here but what difference does it make what domains are registered and used? They could be benign or malicious no matter what the domain is...?

I can register ChildWarRescueCharity.com that looks legitimate and use it maliciously to canvas donations and just siphon it into my account. No mention of Ukraine in the name.

Last edited:
•••
The whole internet are now virtual signaling trolls so wouldn't expect anything less.

•••
I might be being completely thick here but what difference does it make what domains are registered and used? They could be benign or malicious no matter what the domain is...?

I can register ChildWarRescueCharity.com that looks legitimate and use it maliciously to canvas donations and just siphon it into my account. No mention of Ukraine in the name.

You are correct, but those seeking to line their own pockets choose specific keywords to legitimize scam web sites. Here's an example: UkraineAid -xyz. A lot of real looking content and a single BTC wallet link.

•••
You are correct, but those seeking to line their own pockets choose specific keywords to legitimize scam web sites. Here's an example: UkraineAid -xyz. A lot of real looking content and a single BTC wallet link.
Thanks for pointing that site out, it's a useful example... no surprise that it's an .XYZ. XYZ really is a cesspool of the internet.

Will be interesting to see if it stops anyone, it seems a bit futile.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back