IT.COM

advice Domains with tacs

Spaceship
Watch

Steven McEvoy

CFaDN.comTop Member
Impact
I know they say not to get a domain with tacs or any other symbols or #s but I'm wondering will those domains ever be worth something? As an ex: word-word.com or word25.com etc.
or should you just always stay away from them?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some people will buy them. I don't like them though. If you can't get the domain without the hyphen, I don't think it's worth registering. I don't know of any successful sites, or high traffic parked domains that contain hyphens.

•••
I don't know of any successful sites, or high traffic parked domains that contain hyphens.

mojo-themes.com they are quite successful as a theme marketplace.

•••
Good point, although, they do own mojothemes.com and it forwards to mojo-themes.com

Not saying it isn't possible. I personally don't like the hyphen. Maybe I'm thinking of it from a domaining standpoint. Much easier to sell the non-hyphenated version.

•••
Yeah I guess, I'll give it a shot, I wonder if people will start buying them. I guess it all depends on the person perspective.

•••
The general consensus is that hyphenated and numbered domains have much lower value because its hard for them to pass the Radio Test. This is how easy and memorable is the domain when you say it out loud to someone. Hyphens and numbers require additional explanations and lead to a much higher chance of the person forgetting it, or typing it without the symbols.

An example. You tell this guy that he can buy great mobile phones from your website bestphones4u.com. "But for is a number and you is just the letter U". Chances are until he gets home he will still have doubts and try something like bestphonesforyou.com

That being said you can still find value in such domains, just depends how you use them. For a personal website/blog they might be ok, as long as you like them. The other common scenario is for brand protection, to ensure that you secure many similar names and avoid cybersquatters. Just like in the above example with mojo-themes.com ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back