Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

Domains Wanted- Yeah, right!

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grrilla

VIP Member
Impact
87
I'm posting in the Break Room to keep the subject, somewhat on the lighter vent/rant side, and to distance it from "serious" Discussions, but am curious about what you all think about the the "Domains Wanted" board. I'm sure there has to be some occasional success there, (and if you've had any, please pipe in), but gol-dern-it, based on experience, posting lists there has been an excercise in futility.

After taking a long, (1+years) break from any major activity there, I've just become active w/ it again, and despite having posted some very good and desirable names that are dead on to what has been requested, it's the SOS. Generally, I don't even get the courtesy of a response from the person making the request nor do I see very many responses or feedback that is being left forothers. I still suspect that there is a good deal of idea mining that goes on there, (actually, just saw 2 perfect examples of this the other day), but don't really know how deep that runs.

Your turn.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
It would be a really fine line and tough to determine in some situations.
That really shouldn't be a problem, Tom. I'm really good at making those kind of decisions. :lol:
 
0
•••
trishan said:
What about negative NP$ for domains deemed to be utterly inappropriate or perhaps a warning system. 3 warnings and you can't post for another month for example.
The key word being "utterly inappropriate ", that's certainly doable. As for Tom's concern, you can trust us to ding only the obviously out of line domains. If the buyer said "only .com", then expect a warning for posting a .net. If its vague like "I want a valuable domain", then we'll probably let folks get away with most anything. if the buyer asked to "send domains via PM only", then extraneous posts may be deleted.

We can actually start this now. Any reply to a wanted post that's obviously not what the buyer asked for gets a warning for spam, from Staff or Forum Leaders. It shouldn't take long for sellers to get the message.

How to keep buyers honest ... now that's a different story.
 
0
•••
armstrong said:
The key word being "utterly inappropriate ", that's certainly doable. As for Tom's concern, you can trust us to ding only the obviously out of line domains. If the buyer said "only .com", then expect a warning for posting a .net. If its vague like "I want a valuable domain", then we'll probably let folks get away with most anything. if the buyer asked to "send domains via PM only", then extraneous posts may be deleted.

Ya, I think thats fair. It was just those general requests that I was worried about, but I am sure you guys will do a fair job.
 
0
•••
I like this... everybody coming together with ideas and useful feedback. The wanted section is a pet peeve of mine, and it's nice to see members and staff trying to make the situation better.

Great community involvement. :tu:
 
0
•••
How to keep buyers honest ... now that's a different story.
Regulating "mining expeditions" would be tough. I've started keeping a "scorecard" for my own use and am also going back and quickly perusing my Wanted section posts, to see if there are any quick impressions that can be gained about the starter as well as my own submittals.

One quick and dirty acid test, that everyone can perform, would be to use the NP Advanced Searchtool to find the number of posts in "Domains Wanted" which can than be matched up against the "Trading Points" of the member.

(For those who are new to the forum):Enter the (potential), member's name into the User Name field-> Select Threads Started by User from the dropdown -> Choose Domains Wanted-> Click Search, and a list will appear showing all of the members Domains Wanted posts. Than, go to the members profile, and compare the # trades w/ the # of Domain Wanted posts. If for instance, I see 5-10 requests w/ 0-2 trades, I probably won't waste my time submitting, or, more accurately, will gage the amount of effort I will put into my submission, ie submit one relevant name vs a more comprehensive list.

I still like jeter4982's "Submittal Form" idea, which could also include some check box responses w/ an optional "Reasons" field and aclick and submit button that would automatically send the form to the (potential) sellers PM box. This would encourage feedback from the Buyer, and would reqyure only a minimum amt of time and effort. Boxes would be used to give a quick response for the reasons a name/s was not selected.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Oh sure....thanks ya big teasers...It never even occured to me to "mine" that section for ideas until this thread... and now,....now, when there is a chance (still slim) I might get lucky and at the least steal an idea for a domain that wasnt my 3word24letterusualhell.com you guys wanna make RULES...
It's a freekin conspircy, isnt it... *two grape sized ball berings in my left hand* It started with the strawberries.... thats when I knew they were all against me....

10NP$ to the first to catch the reference.

btw, some good thought and discussion in this thread, but please try and keep the actual "rules" to a minimum... give us a chance to police ourselves, encourge us, ostrasize us if we step in it, but we have to deal with The Man (as we used to call authority) out there everyday... give us a chance, huh?..Oshisisfer, ob corsh I wa dribin home, I are wayyyyy too drunk to walk.

Peace, kp
 
0
•••
Grilla great thread, maybe one way you can reprimand buyers are those who don't know the markets they claim they are looking for names in. " I looking for LLL.com my Budget Is $500 please PM me" That is a complete joke when the going wholesale market LLL.com is $1200. OR pm me your LLN.com for $10. I think of the section more a s a beggars post or tryingto get a dollar for a dime it is very frustrating becuase I only submit releveant names and you don't even get a message back whenit wa sexactly what you were looking for.


Form

Names category wanted
Desired extensions
Budget
This ad will expire in x days


IMO
 
0
•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
AIVikingsAIVikings

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover

NamePros updates

New in Parking: updated way to act on many domains or inquiries at once
Your domain list and inquiry list now have a bar above and below the list. Check the items you want, then choose an action in the bar...
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back