Dynadot

information Domains vs. Pay Per Click: Do new TLDs work?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
As a registry, we’re often asked how new TLDs affect SEO. Google itself has stated that sites using generic top-level domains receive no inherent disadvantage in their search rankings’ algorithm. At the same time, we’ve been more than happy to point to Jacksonville.Attorney—a site which has reached the top of Google’s search results—as a great success story for nTLDs.
This is a major finding in the ever-shifting world of SEO. With competition in both organic and Pay Per Click (PPC) search results growing fierce, the costs associated with marketing a website are rising rapidly, particularly in the legal industry. A recent study found that 78 of the 100 most expensive Google keyword phrases were related to legal services. In some locations, the bidding for paid search results has soared into the hundreds of dollars per click...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks for the heads-up!

After reading the case study, the main take-away I found: domain name + content.

Last edited:
•••
I get some traffic on ntlds but no clicks.

•••
I get some traffic on ntlds but no clicks.

I have more domains pointing to my Website rather than PPC parking but I've been a bit surprised with a few of my new gTLDS that I have parked. Looked at one tonight that did $7.23 today, not massive by any means but it's income.

•••
Which parking are you using? I was using Voodoo for parking but not many clicks, except for one (topretweet, a .com).

•••
I get traffic on lots of my ngtlds which I haven't advertised or posted anywhere. I assume it's because I have a bunch of EMDs (keyword.keyword)

•••
This part of the article, really impressed me!
"Jacksonville.Attorney is generating the free, organic equivalent of $6,400 per month in paid traffic on 333 Google keyword phrases. ":
Just for picking the right good news nTLDs: "The domain extension likely contributed to Jacksonville.Attorney’s high search ranking."

•••
It seems really speculative to me. "Likely contributed" does not suggest any kind of quantitative approach was used.

•••
It would have been a more interesting study if the only thing they did was change the domain and then see what happened. It ranked 13th, page 2 for Jacksonville Attorney with the old site already. Besides the change in domain, they:

"In addition to the relaunch, Eric’s team concentrated on posting blog entries (initially about seven per month) containing keywords they hadn’t yet been ranked on search results"

and

"ric listed his services on FindLaw and Avvo, popular attorney-listing websites. He worked with New York-based Momentum Names, a reseller of Rightside’s new generic Top Level Domains (TLDs) such as .LAWYER and .ATTORNEY."

If you want to see if a domain change alone makes a difference, then only do that one thing and test it out.

and the .com is only $16,000. If they even try any offline advertising, a competing attorney should buy the .com and enjoy the possible free traffic. I don't think it would take much to pay for that .com.

Last edited:
•••
It seems really speculative to me. "Likely contributed" does not suggest any kind of quantitative approach was used.
When I seen that line...thought it was "fancy" talk for no ones really know exactly why Google ranks a.site..

•••
When I seen that line...thought it was "fancy" talk for no ones really know exactly why Google ranks a.site..

lol..yeah, no none really knows. But I am all for any tactic that will not use PPC and will let me keep some measure of control, even if tiny, over my traffic. Google's mantra of transparency for the benefit of the user is all about keeping their stuff under cloak while they manipulate your site into ppc.

The free case study they offer mentions, for example, 210 monthly average searches for "Jacksonville car accident attorney" at CPC of $224.17. So if he is getting even 10% (21) organic clicks, at a rate of $224.17 per click, then he is saving $4704 for just that 1 keyword phrase. The did this for 5 phrases and ended up with savings of $9,100.00.

My only question is how much did he pay for the name.

Edited: Because apparently even with a calculator I can't do math (!)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back