IT.COM

discuss Domains using American vs British English spelling

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domainer47

Top Member
Impact
What are your thoughts on the value of domains ending in ize vs ise such as recognize.com vs recognise.com or apologise.com vs apologize.com?

Does the fact that confusion and differences exist over the spelling of these words mean that they should be avoided by domainers with small portfolios and less capital?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and sorry if this has been covered before, I couldn't find a thread on it here so thought I would ask.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Where did you get that information?

I think you will find that India uses British english... that's 1.3 billion people in just one country.

allot of middle eastern countries do as well from the time the Brits colonized the middle east

•••
Where did you get that information?

India uses British english... that's 1.3 billion people in just one country.

The commonwealth contains 2.4 billion people, most of whom will speak british english as a first, or second language.

"Linguist Braj Kachru (an Indian), quoted by The Christian Science Monitor in 1996, stated that "American English is spreading faster than British English". The Monitor stated that English taught in Europe and the Commonwealth is more British-influenced, while English taught in Latin America is more American-influenced; however, most English use outside the classroom is more influenced by the United States: Americans greatly outnumber Britons; in addition, as of 1993, the United States originated 75 per cent of the world's TV programming.[57] A BBC columnist assessed in 2015 that "American English is the current dominant force globally, like it or not"

https://www.csmonitor.com/1996/0904/090496.intl.global.1.html

Hollywood is most likely the great factor of this influence.

Last edited:
•••
"Linguist Braj Kachru (an Indian), quoted by The Christian Science Monitor in 1996, stated that "American English is spreading faster than British English". The Monitor stated that English taught in Europe and the Commonwealth is more British-influenced, while English taught in Latin America is more American-influenced; however, most English use outside the classroom is more influenced by the United States: Americans greatly outnumber Britons; in addition, as of 1993, the United States originated 75 per cent of the world's TV programming.[57] A BBC columnist assessed in 2015 that "American English is the current dominant force globally, like it or not"

https://www.csmonitor.com/1996/0904/090496.intl.global.1.html

Hollywood is most likely the great factor of this influence.

Thanks.

Yes Hollywood and social media no doubt.

I've seen that same phrase - ''spreading faster"- used in the couple of reports I looked up also. It doesn't actually imply that American english is more widely used, only that it is spreading faster than its British counterpart in classrooms.

I've been trying to find accurate figures myself.

I think that a lot of people who use american english on social media do so simply because the software defaults to that setting for speech recognition and spell check, while in the real world, they probably use more british english.

•••
allot of middle eastern countries do as well from the time the Brits colonized the middle east

Yes I agree. The empire covered a quarter of the globe.

Also south-east Asia nations like Hong Kong / China Malaysia and Singapore that were settled by or traded with the Empire.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back