NameSilo

DomainNameSales.com and brokerage

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hey guys,

Just got accepted this week to DomainNameSales.com, wondering how many of you have an acct with them and have you sold many names through their brokerage services.

Please feel free to share sales stories (if any) with the group.

DomainNameSales.com has had a great year so far. Here's the year to date stats from DNjournal.com.

http://dnjournal.com/ytd-sales-charts.htm

PLEASE NOTE
DNS is picky about who they accept. Don't feel bad if you are rejected or don't hear back. Build up your portfolio a bit better and then re-apply. Here's some things they consider when accepting or rejecting applications.

• Sales Potential
  • Parking Potential
  • Intellectual Property Risk
  • Portfolio Size
Cheers

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Using their platform since May. Some 300 domains (90% handregs), redirected to sales pages (no parking). 70 inquiries through their platform, managed by their brokers. Only 1 offer, and after some bargaining it resulted to a sale ($1,600) through their broker.

The problem, as I see it, is that inquiries do not turn into offers.
Do you provide a price quote or ask the brokers to suggest a price? Or do you ask the buyer to make an offer first?

•••
Do you provide a price quote or ask the brokers to suggest a price? Or do you ask the buyer to make an offer first?

This time, the client contacted us an offer of $1,000 and we bargained a bit. Generally, if I contact a client, I tend to give a reasonable quote. On the other hand, when a client contacts me first, I would expect a serious offer.

•••
This time, the client contacted us an offer of $1,000 and we bargained a bit. Generally, if I contact a client, I tend to give a reasonable quote. On the other hand, when a client contacts me first, I would expect a serious offer.
I was thinking more of the 70 inquiries you mentioned, that (I assume) originated from DNS landing pages.

•••
I was thinking more of the 70 inquiries you mentioned, that (I assume) originated from DNS landing pages.

Half of these inquiries had a wrong (fake) email address. The other half (except one or two cases) did not make an offer, but asked for a quote, so I had to quote. From my experience, I think the systems on DNS works like this: if the client is from USA or EU, they are allowed not to make an offer and they usually ask me to provide a quote. If the client is from other parts of the world, DNS writes automatically to the client something like: "you might have made a mistake, we are not selling goods or services, we are selling domain names, please make an offer". Then, the conversation does not continue unless they make an offer or perhaps reply with a more direct request.

•••
Half of these inquiries had a wrong (fake) email address. The other half (except one or two cases) did not make an offer, but asked for a quote, so I had to quote. From my experience, I think the systems on DNS works like this: if the client is from USA or EU, they are allowed not to make an offer and they usually ask me to provide a quote. If the client is from other parts of the world, DNS writes automatically to the client something like: "you might have made a mistake, we are not selling goods or services, we are selling domain names, please make an offer". Then, the conversation does not continue unless they make an offer or perhaps reply with a more direct request.
50% of the inquiries using fake emails is a lot! I have noticed fake email addresses being used too, but only for about 5-7% of the inquiries. I think it is partly related to the "get a free price quote" wording on the landing page, which is also why most inquiries do not come with an offer.

The message you describe is not an automated part of the DNS system based on buyers location. It's a message that is manually chosen by the broker for each inquiry. If you self broker, you just click "dismiss" and then chose the "confused" option, and the buyer will be sent that message. Buyers from non-US and EU are treated the same way as buyers from "western" countries. If this message was sent, it means that the broker wants to dismiss the inquiry, likely because they think the inquiry is not about actually wanting to buy the domain.

You don't mention what kind of prices you quote, but I have found that most (but not all) DNS brokers do not want to work on leads if the asking price is at least close to mid-$XXXX. If you quote them low $XXXX, they may just send the buyer a BIN page with a firm asking price, so that they don't have to spend their time on negotiating the name (and often they don't listen to your asking price, so the BIN they attach is far higher than what you said you wanted for the name).

After not having much success with them so far, are you planning to keep using DNS and have their brokers deal with your inquiries?

•••
Thanks for much useful info.

I quote anything from $400 to $2500.

In reality, I sell more from GoDaddy BINs and Flippa inquiries, so having domains pointing to DNS is just an extra to me. Besides, I found no good alternatives where to direct the domain nameservers. I might try self-brokerage now that I am a bit more experienced with the process of sales, but it is effort-consuming.

•••
Thanks for much useful info.

I quote anything from $400 to $2500.

In reality, I sell more from GoDaddy BINs and Flippa inquiries, so having domains pointing to DNS is just an extra to me. Besides, I found no good alternatives where to direct the domain nameservers. I might try self-brokerage now that I am a bit more experienced with the process of sales, but it is effort-consuming.
Same here....may give self brokerage a shot...

•••
After reading this thread, I have also changed my settings to self broker. I was very excited when the enquiries came in on DNS but as all others have pointed out, nothing has ever gone through a sale. As @Nerevar as pointed out I also think I have made some progress with selling a few names and think can do the self broker option.

•••
Well, I can not say that I am disappointed by their brokerage. From my experience, they responded timely to inquiries and quoted my prices reliably enough (often adding 15% commission into price). Also, their habit of giving a BIN price for names under $1,000 is not a bad idea, if you are interested in high xxx sales and not so much in low-mid xxx. As for high-priced names, having a broker helps to create the right impression. And, after all, they did make a nice sale for me. So, if I go to self-brokerage, it is more likely for the lower priced names.

•••
One question that really interests me is: how having domains on DNS affects your GD premium sales. When those buyers who might hit the button "buy" on GD see that the domain points to DNS, do they attempt to get a quote instead of hitting GD BIN? Statistics on whether your sales on GD / Sedo BIN decreased or not would be very interesting.

•••
I've had the settings set to DNS brokers for months and i would get inquires like every few days or so. But none never ends in a sale. Anyways, I said let me give self brokerage a try using their platform(I would respond to inquiries), but I have not received not even one lead since then,not even a phony one.

is this just coincidence?

•••
I've had the settings set to DNS brokers for months and i would get inquires like every few days or so. But none never ends in a sale. Anyways, I said let me give self brokerage a try using their platform(I would respond to inquiries), but I have not received not even one lead since then,not even a phony one.

is this just coincidence?

If your settings are set to self brokerage, the buyer is informed that they'll be negotiating with a third party broker. Maybe that puts some prospective clients off?

•••
If your settings are set to self brokerage, the buyer is informed that they'll be negotiating with a third party broker. Maybe that puts some prospective clients off?
I am the owner, why would they do that?
So I guess i might have to switch back or figure out another solution...

•••
Hi,
What does 'self brokerage' mean?

•••
•••
•••
I've received 6 inquiries since I joined exactly one month ago with ~300 names. I also received one mid $XXXX offer on a new gtld.

•••
Is it possible to change background image?

niczzz.png

Thanks.

•••
Those mountains looks dangerous. I need a more friendly background..

•••
I think it's to remove any association with you should you upset their customers :-$
That's what I thought first or is it to promote doing it through their brokers(they make money)..
I sure all the emails they send that leads to no sales does enough upsetting ... I think

I like the place; I'm not mad at them; just trying to figure stuff out.

•••
I see that when a customer inquires about a domain and is advised to submit an offer, at the same time they open an adventisement window and suggest that he registers with Uniregistry. The worst moment to confuse and anger the potential buyer!!!

I found no way to turn this off.

•••
•••
I see. Oh well, it used to be a good platform. We need to find a replacement now.

•••
I was accepted with DNS a while back, but actually had forgotten about it.. but was using another landing page system that I get the inquiries directly. Would get several a week.

-Strangely a good percentage of inquiries are coming from fake emails despite the "captcha" box. Why would anybody waste their time to waste other people's times? It's not like they're making money out of it

-Some inquiries as indicated above outside of US / Europe actually think I'm selling a physical product, not too many though

-Alot of the offers are lowballers, for the most part, when you reply even with a reasonable amount, they never answer back (I see they opened the email with sidekick)

Working on developing my site much more and thinking of just redirecting all the traffic to it once it's finalized with payment processing on there. Perhaps it would convert more (all the while listing on GD, Sedo, Afternic)

***** has anybody tried to redirect their links directly to their godaddy or sedo listing instead of a landing page? and if so, was there an increase in sales?

•••
***** has anybody tried to redirect their links directly to their godaddy or sedo listing instead of a landing page? and if so, was there an increase in sales?

I tried for a handful of domains, but this is done with forwarding (one by one, very tedious...) and not with nameservers. Flippa allows nameservers.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back