Dynadot

discuss Domaining is dead! Drop your loots and go farm potatoes!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CLAYjenny

Established Member
Impact
Drops Mic!

Attachments

• images (11).jpeg
    images (11).jpeg
    5.6 KB · Views: 67
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm currently in the negotiation process of a sale, and I've been receiving a surprising amount of offers throughout the year so far.
How many domains do you currently own?

•••
I woke up today to a domain sold email, for $3,950.

Domaining is not dead for me.

Brad

•••
While the post is overdramatic, many would agree we have been through some very lean years in a row and domainers have had to make adjustments.

The people selling are selling for lower prices than in the past. Far less end user sales are being reported.

I don’t think denying there is any change in the landscape is any more helpful than declaring the sky is falling.

Domaining is not dying but at times it seems like its comatose 🙃 in many niches except the currently hot one which right now is AI.

People’s experience is of course based on the quality and variety of their portfolio. Some will always do great based on their portfolio while many if not most will flounder at times.

Last edited:
•••
While the post is overdramatic, many would agree we have been through some very lean years in a row and domainers have had to make adjustments.

The people selling are selling for lower prices than in the past. Far less end user sales are being reported.

I don’t think denying there is any change in the landscape is any more helpful than declaring the sky is falling.

Domaining is not dying but at times it seems like its comatose 🙃 in many niches except the currently hot one which right now is AI.

People’s experience is of course based on the quality and variety of their portfolio. Some will always do great based on their portfolio while many if not most will flounder at times.
Yeah, it certainly has changed. There has been a lot of portfolio consolidation over the last several years.

The "flipping" aspect of domains is not what it used to be. Even halfway decent domains sell for prices that rarely make sense in public auctions, even the ones in which games are not being played.

Still, I get as many or more end user inquires now as I ever have.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Well I can understand op.

Even Reza and the dude who bought the dinosaurs island have quit domaining

I'd say only 1% of domainers are doing it fulltime. Rosner has said he needs a full time job and that domaining can't be his only source of income.

I'd say... domaining is not dead... if you have a five fig bankroll and you're willing to wait multiple years to see an ROI.

Otherwise, domaining is tough lovin

•••
Even Reza and the dude who bought the dinosaurs island have quit domaining
Not according to her Twitter/X. She is still in the game.

•••
It is like any industry, they all get harder and harder to enter and compete in. Domain wise, yes, I am dropping my loots. They are all for sale for either $99 or $10 (expires in the next 2 months). Are any selling? No, not many. But I put this down to me, not the industry. I face the face the fact that I am obviously not very good at domaining, and I think a lot more people need to admit that. As for farming potatoes, its tempting, but no. I'll stick to buming around in a campervan.

•••
Yeah, it certainly has changed. There has been a lot of portfolio consolidation over the last several years.

The "flipping" aspect of domains is not what it used to be. Even halfway decent domains sell for prices that rarely make sense in public auctions, even the ones in which games are not being played.

Still, I get as many or more end user inquires now as I ever have.

Brad
I am not surprised you are an experienced long term investor and probably have a great portfolio.

As for the rest of us chickens 🐓 … or at least for me
rather do this than “farm potatoes” lol

•••
It has been dead for me in 2024, as I have no sales yet. But it was dead in 2023 as well and then I suddenly had 3 xxxx sales in April 2023 lol

Last edited:
•••
If my domains can buy me a farm, why not?

•••
In my honest opinion, although i have only 1 and half year experience.
Domaining now become too difficult for new comers because you have only 1 % percent chance to find decent drop domain name and there is lot of competition in auction houses as well.
You need big pockets with lot of time along with patience to play this game so new comers who have no losing mind side can only survive here.

Note: I only sold one domain through outbound so now you can understand how much difficult this field is.

•••
In my honest opinion, although i have only 1 and half year experience.
Domaining now become too difficult for new comers because you have only 1 % percent chance to find decent drop domain name and there is lot of competition in auction houses as well.
You need big pockets with lot of time along with patience to play this game so new comers who have no losing mind side can only survive here.

Note: I only sold one domain through outbound so now you can understand how much difficult this field is.

agree, and that is if you even know what to look for in the first place. All the advice and reading I did turned out to be crap.

•••
agree, and that is if you even know what to look for in the first place. All the advice and reading I did turned out to be crap.
Wanna be domainers complain, but the real problem is not domaining, but their names!

I had a look at the names you listed for $99 and I would not even have them for free. There are no end users for your names! Maybe some hobbyist, but good luck with that, if that's your target group.

Sorry for being brutally honest. It's just the domaining low entry barrier and the promotions that bring a lot of naive people in looking for 'get rich quick' schemes. Investments also take time, usually a lot of time.

Last edited:
•••
Potato farming is a growing business 🥔

:cigar:

•••
Wanna be domainers complain, but the real problem is not domaining, but their names!

I had a look at the names you listed for $99 and I would not even have them for free. There are no end users for your names! Maybe some hobbyist, but good luck with that, if that's your target group.

Sorry for being brutally honest. It's just the domaining low entry barrier and the promotions that bring a lot of naive people in looking for 'get rich quick' schemes. Investments also take time, usually a lot of time.
Yeah, thanks, already aware and dropping everything. Most were bought for my own projects, so i had an enduser (me) and end uses for all. They were not bought with resale in mind. I then realised that I will never have the time and motivation for 267 projects, lol, and that I had gotten a tad carried away with buying. Add to that being told that my website designs were also crap, then I just decided to trash the whole lot.
They are just there on afternic / dan / sh etc until 2 months before drop and then I put them on here for $10. I have had enough people tell me they are crap to heed the advice. Unfortunately, many domainers dont ask for appraisals or listen to advice they are given. I listened.

•••
I think that in the near future there will be old -timer domainers with large portfolio, as well as bots of large companies, do fightings at auctions, and true creators who handmade register domains without history, but these domains have great potential. I have 99% of manual registration out of 500 domains, and I'm still in a plus. I sell every year 1-2 % domains of my portfolio on average. Thanks to people like me, domains are recognized by other. Ithe beginning these domains are not worth anything, couse they are registered manually! Appraisers do not give more than $ 100 for them, but after a year or two they are estimated above $ 1,000, they have a story. And if for any reason I do not renewal them, other domainers are fighting at auctions for them. Domining has not died. You just need to be a creative person to engage in this business. However, as in any industry. Even in growing potatoes.

Last edited:
•••
Having spent the last 15 years in Internet Marketing, I've come across threads like this countless times. I've heard all sorts of declarations: 'SEO is dead,' 'crypto is dead,' 'native ads are dead,' and so on.

What I can tell you is that OG users actually appreciate these types of threads. They signal that someone is giving up and shifting their focus to a different career, which in turn scares off newcomers to the domain reselling business.

Last edited:
•••
everything in the world is sock puppeted by humans because humans made it from the dead anyway. If humans werent in cars, they would be dead. If humans werent in factories they would be dead. ty.

•••
Good news. I own PotatoFarming.com.

It's the perfect domain for you!

More total sales dollars than total renewal dollars.

Brad
And I have goatfarming.com for you if potato is not your thing :D

•••
Everytime I see this thread bumped its not the farm potatoes that cracks me up. Its the “drop your loots”.

You drop your loots. 😂 I am good thanks.

Last edited:
•••
If domaining is dead, then why i am here?

•••
•••
He is suggesting us to drop our loots, so he can go and grab them.

•••
I feel that there is less competition in domains now, since it is easier to make money using crypto and few people are willing to take the risk. Also domain frauds are exposed now and I had my best domain sale of XXXX this year.

•••
Having spent the last 15 years in Internet Marketing, I've come across threads like this countless times. I've heard all sorts of declarations: 'SEO is dead,' 'crypto is dead,' 'native ads are dead,' and so on.

What I can tell you is that OG users actually appreciate these types of threads. They signal that someone is giving up and shifting their focus to a different career, which in turn scares off newcomers to the domain reselling business.
Agree. It's just like hype Title:xf.smile::xf.wink:(y)
Internet is still alive, so there are opportunities
Triple H Reaction GIF by WWE

Will everyone earn online/domaning or so.../ ? - no
C'est la vie

as its needs
Time+Knowledges+Capital +Hard Work and what people calls Luck

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back