IT.COM

Domaining for a living?

NameSilo
Watch

Ricardo M

Established Member
Impact
Hi all

I was wondering who does domaining for a living or who does it for a secondary income besides your regular job.

I do it on the side next to Real estate brokerage. Although i consider maybe to go fulltime as a domainer.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One word, as short as you can afford, and easy to spell domain names in any top selling TLD (sort by "Number of sales"). The lower down that list the TLD, the more popular the word must be.

You have any sales or names that you hold which you would like to share?

•••
I just do it as sec job. it's just hard for me to believe people who earn more then $3000 dollars on domaining only. My yearly income is $720 out of 40 domain names.

•••
For me it is not even a part-time income. I view it as a semi-retirement hobby that I enjoy. I like searching for gems at good prices, and being creative in how the new gTLDs can be used in domain name phrases.

I like to consider what might be the big thing in a few years in terms of science and technology, and see if any good names remain there. I put too much time into web development (http://www.namesthat.win) but enjoy that aspect of domaining as well.

So far I have slightly more than broke even financially. At this stage in life I don't want to gamble much, so I will not be buying high value domains. If I make a little bit of money, that would be great. But as long as I don't lose money I am happy.

Thanks for the question, and all who have replied. Interesting to see the diversity, and I was a bit surprised how many view it as a primary or major income source.

Happy Domaining,

Bob

•••
Nice and interesting question. I do domaining to augument my monthly pension for now but planned to further involve myself in it with more cash soon.

•••
I love domaining, but this is part time fun for me. Web Design full time so i'm always online and buying domains for clients, so doing this for extra income makes sense.

Once I hand reg something that sells for £XXX,XXX then i'll consider going full time :xf.wink:

•••
domainining is my only source of income ...i run my family with it. and i buy only hand reg for now.
Omg. That must mean you have the best names!

•••
Domain names are my only source of income and my net profit is around $500,000/year. It goes up every year.

I'm on a buying hiatus, because I have thousands of domains and it'll be 100+ years before they all sell.
Wow arca. . , that would make you a millionaire. If what you're saying is legit. I mean like you're suddenly a low key Mike Mann (even auto correct knew his name) and making more than most people on np who have been here since 2000.

•••
if you plan on living off domains, then better buy you some good insurance plans

cuz, soon as you or a family member gets sick, or needs dental, etc. those costs will eat thru your duckies faster than you can earn them

not to mention if you own a home, or still paying mortgage, property taxes, upkeep, etc

in chicago, cost of living is high, they charge $0.07 just for a plastic bag when you buy groceries, in addition to $0.01 cent tax per ounce on sweetened drinks, including soda.

we got new taxes on cellphones and landlines going into effect next year.
they charge for garbage and sewer, they charge for water, they charge, just to charge.

so, consider where you live, before making that leap of faith and if you have a job now that pays some health benefits, think about holding on to it, for a while.

imo....

•••
if you plan on living off domains, then better buy you some good insurance plans

cuz, soon as you or a family member gets sick, or needs dental, etc. those costs will eat thru your duckies faster than you can earn them

not to mention if you own a home, or still paying mortgage, property taxes, upkeep, etc

in chicago, cost of living is high, they charge $0.07 just for a plastic bag when you buy groceries, in addition to $0.01 cent tax per ounce on sweetened drinks, including soda.

we got new taxes on cellphones and landlines going into effect next year.
they charge for garbage and sewer, they charge for water, they charge, just to charge.

so, consider where you live, before making that leap of faith and if you have a job now that pays some health benefits, think about holding on to it, for a while.

imo....
Lol one of your best examples of Chicago high cost of living are $0.07 shopping bags :ROFL::tightlyclosedeyes: that's only like $0.21 more for groceries for me per 3 or 4 days.

•••
Lol one of your best examples of Chicago high cost of living are $0.07 shopping bags :ROFL::tightlyclosedeyes: that's only like $0.21 more for groceries for me per 3 or 4 days.

that's $0.07 every time you go in a store, whether you buy just a carton of milk or six pack of beer... if you want a bag, it's no longer free

may seem trivial to you, but if you were here, you'd see mo-fo's taking bags with them or carrying shit out the store in their hands like they stole it.

imo...

•••
that's $0.07 every time you go in a store, whether you buy just a carton of milk or six pack of beer... if you want a bag, it's no longer free

may seem trivial to you, but if you were here, you'd see mo-fo's taking bags with them or carrying sh*t out the store in their hands like they stole it.

imo...

Does that mean a full time domainers can not cope in USA.

Sometime last year on my blog, I wrote about looking for
Who Will Be The First Domain Investor On Forbes 1000 World’s Billionaires List?

Does that mean we should not be expecting any Billionare who is a full time domainer to be on Forbes list from USA ? The Forbes list is dominated by USA citizens and that is why I in particular expecting the first billionare to come from USA, if that is not possible soon it meant domaining can not be practiced as a full time business in USA.

On Forbes list Godaddy is on the list but he is not a full time domainer.

Last edited:
•••
•••

Yap! Bob Parson has chains of businesses he is not just a domainer. like the world number one richest man -Bill Gate
Occupation
Founder & Director,
GoDaddy.com
Founder & CEO,
YAM Worldwide, Inc.

Founder,
The Bob & Renee Parsons Foundation

For more information about him please follow this link

Last edited:
•••
you're suddenly a low key Mike Mann
Our business models are wholly and categorically different. He has tenfold+ the domains and nets about $1-2 million/year the last time I ran numbers. I've outlined my model historically.

There's a small number of people with 30,000+ domains, but I know of innumerable people (innumerable only because I don't feel like counting) making more than me from domain sales with less than 30,000 domains. But why would they megaphone it? I'm not competing at auctions anymore, thus I don't care.

The process is easy. The journey is long and laborious. Overspending and bad buys are pitfalls that make $100k gross turn into $5k net. (n) That's where I've seen business models go astray.

•••
If I could do this on a full time basis, I would in a heartbeat.

Sadly, living in the UK where bags are on par with @biggie Chicago, it's all just a hobby.

•••
When you are looking for too much profits; it takes time to sell and it will definitely difficult to manage family with it. I see it in a way that one just have to soft pedal on high gains, sometime, little gains and sometime big gains one should be able to forge ahead and manage family, provided you have good stuffs in portfolio.

•••
With a family and kids as some mentioned, it would be really tough if you're starting out..
If you sort of "know" what you're doing + if you're spouse makes some money.. then it's alright.

Being single and doing this fulltime is doable if you don't plan on buying expensive cars and instead invest in your business.

By the way here too high income taxes, high sales taxes and fees for everything are killer..

•••
I'm sure when you have a portfolio of 5,000 GOOD names, you can get a steady stream of sales every month or so. That's when you can domain for a living.

•••
domainining is my only source of income ...i run my family with it. and i buy only hand reg for now.
Hello, what is the size of your portfolio if you don't mind. Thanks

•••
Domains contributes to 75% of my income. From mostly new gTLDs...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back