IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NPer

Very Allergic to CURRYTop Member
Impact
I've come across many posts by several members over the years saying that domaining is a "waiting game", "patience" is needed.

Really? It's that simple?!

One of the members who said this, amassed thousands crap names by the end of his/her first 2-3 years of domaining... that's when I just joined NP. The individual was also pumping extensions that I wouldn't even dare touch while wearing a hazmat suit.

"Patience" is as an excuse for those not making any sales, and/or for those continuing to pay renewal fees on large amounts of crap... which funnily enough were bought while they were noobs. Yup, they still sitting with those even in 2013! :o

Why are they still holding onto the names? Answer: Ran their mouth to soon, convinced themselves of their own stories (e.g. dotcom is dying, .net is an orphan, .co has potential, .ws this and that, etc) kept pushing other members down, and kept pumping what they had to new members-sporting it as gold. They secretly felt the pinch financially when renewals came, but would never drop the crap they had, as they feared that their "reputation" will tank as their "portfolio" dwindled in size.

Owning many names means nothing. Thinking that quantity will position you nicely with the big boys and domainers who have been doing this for over a decade (and who have amassed a large and good portfolio of names over time) is just based on stupidity.

The above is just a recipe for financial mayhem as you keep paying the renewal fees to hang onto that imaginary "title" of being a "real domainer". Mind you- in reality, a domainer could own even 1 domain- or even a % of just one domain.

They don't want to be "embarrassed" by dropping the "gold" they once bragged about.

This what these dudes call "patience" or the "waiting game".

The above is the wrong way to go about it.

Yes, patience is needed: BUT WHILE BUILDING YOUR PORTFOLIO. Not once you have bought 1000's of crap names and hope you gonna hit it by paying renewals on them for years and years. After all those renewal fees/blog posts/forum posts, you got to ask them: is it a profit or a loss? :laugh:

As Kate has said many times: good names sell for themselves. And this is true.

Now, you can imagine what crap names does for themselves... jack.

At the beginning of your domaining career, you are bound to buy shit. If you use patience here, you won't lose much as you hopefully wouldn't have bought much of the crap. As time progresses, you realize what names are good and then start buying them up. Good names don't fall out of the sky at once. Finding 10 good names (at good prices) takes more than one day... it could even take more than a month.. even months! This is where the patience comes in!!

Just to note: being realistic is important... don't try maintaining a portfolio which doesn't make financial sense. Quality over quantity!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I had over 500 names at some point. I mostly waited for offers and received very few of them. Then started to offer my domains to potential end-users and have much more success and profit than with "waiting game". I have to tell that my domains was not premium and many of them was less than average.

Now I have some crappy names, some which are good and I will hold and play "waiting game", and the rest is for quick flipping to end-users.

My strategy now is buy/register today and sell tomorrow or in a few days. I am very satisfied with my results now.
I dont own investing.com, houses.com, LL.com, and similar domains so dont want to wait.

Just few minutes ago I finished harvesting contacts of potential end-users for one of my domains, and will start emailing tomorrow. I waited with it for the whole week and I am pretty sure that will sell it by the Wednesday.

I think that it is worth of waiting only if you have really premium domains. We all know which domains are a real premium, and which are called so by their owners only.

•••
^ That's the kind of post you should be able to like multiple times :lol:

It's true, many newbies think it's all a waiting game, and that domains appreciate with age, just like wine. That isn't true.

Patience is needed in this business, but that works for quality domains only. When you have good domains, you normally receive unsolicited offers from time to time and you can afford to hold out for the right offer.

Anyway, few domainers can afford to invest with a 10-year+ horizon and not make any sales in the meantime. We have to make sales to pay the bills.

•••
It is indeed a waiting game.

Of course, it's also a "getting it in the fucking first place and buying the right names" game, which is the first required step so the 'waiting' part of the game stands a chance at being productive. It's also very, very hard with a near vertical learning curve in the year 2013.

The "getting it" is the hardest part. While many will try, most never will, subsidizing their delusions eight bucks at a time.

My favorite part, though, has to be how this industry is just so littered with Walter Mitty types who love to speak from the vantage of expertise, yet you needn't look any further than their own awful insight (as manifested by their own domains) to see precisely the sort of cluelessness on display.

YES DOMAINERS! YOUR VIRTUAL BUSINESS FOUNDATIONS ARE INCREASING IN VALUE WITH EACH PASSING DAY! ANY DAY NOW THE ONSLAUGHT OF CORPORATE AMERICA WILL COMMENCE AND WE WILL COLLECT OUR REWARDS!

- Fake Jeff Schneider
Contact Group, Metal Tiger,
usebiz.com, $6,000,000 + Equity Share

We're not talking about a few off the wall domains in an otherwise decent portfolio, either. We all have those, we all have our reasons for buying them. We're talking people for whom the very best name in their portfolio- that they proudly stand out as their grand accomplishment- is something a successful domainer wouldn't even want pushed into their account for free. People who own hundreds- sometimes even thousands- of spastically registered worthless garbage names, yet they're fast to log onto a blog or forum and start dispensing advice to other people.

This cycle is particularly vicious in domaining. It's one of the few areas of interest where the self-correcting properties of the internet collective have done nothing to quash bad information. Anywhere else, if you're completely incorrect, you're going to get shouted down pretty quickly. Here? Its the exact opposite.

The short of it is: if you aren't making money, don't rely on 'the future' to bail you out. In this game, if you're doing it right, you're making money damn near from the word go. If you aren't, you're doing something wrong. Chances are, you'll never get it but if you're just bound and determined to keep plugging away in the hopes that you're the 1 in 20 who can enter domaining in the 21st century and make a strong go, you'd better change your strategy away from 'blogger/forum wisdom' and try something that yields bootstrap income.

No worries, though! Plenty to go around for everyone!
Turns out, domaining is the second largest industry on earth, behind stocks and ahead of housing!
- VIP Member

Last edited:
•••
few domainers can afford to invest with a 10-year+ horizon and not make any sales in the meantime. We have to make sales to pay the bills.
If Domaining is the 2nd largest industry in the world (in terms of number of industry participants), perhaps 90% of them are dead broke.

Hardcore domaining, is not a sustainable source of "livable" income. Evenif you have managed to live off domaining income, the amount of labor you put into it may not justify the profit you get FROM it.

The sustainable model i could think of, is to build an authority website that pays-off the costs of your other dormant domain renewals.

And the best model i could think of, is to keep your OFFLINE day job that pays-off your domain collection renewals.

I'm speculating that too many people who are involved with the Domaining "industry" do not really have a stable day job to begin with. They use the little money they have to buy lottery domains they believe would solve their financial misery.

•••
Today you have to buy domains like someone buying real estate. In the real world you don't buy swamp land hoping Tim Horton or Wall mart will just build a franchise there. Because they will never come.

•••
Fonzie has near enough hit the nail on the head but just to add that domaining is also about being active. For me domaining is a hobby outside my full time job but in the past 30 days I have made low $x,xxx in sales and those were all by being active.

•••
I have made low $x,xxx in sales and those were all by being active.
But again, is that "being active" a sustainable effort worthy of the financial return ??

I've read the other threads here, and see people posting the amount of work they have to put in looking for "potential" end-users, then bombarding them with truckloads of solicitation emails.

Not to mention that if you got rid of your domains, then you have to jump right back into the domain drop/aftermarket searching for thousands of drops to reg again for resale.

•••
Actually all sales this past month have been at reseller value through forums or on sites like Domain Lore so actually a lot less work involved than pitching to end users, which I am more than happy with as still made a very very healthy profit. :)

But again, is that "being active" a sustainable effort worthy of the financial return ??

I've read the other threads here, and see people posting the amount of work they have to put in looking for "potential" end-users, then bombarding them with truckloads of solicitation emails.

Not to mention that if you got rid of your domains, then you have to jump right back into the domain drop/aftermarket searching for thousands of drops to reg again for resale.

•••
yes, it is a waiting game for the right names.
end-users for the most part are totally clueless
1 in 100 inquiries is from somebody who gets it and does not think
oh this name is regged in 1997 so i'll offer him $10 plus renewals
mentality.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back