IT.COM

strategy Domainer is claiming that his name is not dropping

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mr. Deleted

Slabaugh.com 800-266-2728Top Member
Impact
So there is this domain name I am watching in a drop auction, and he has about 6 days left to renew it, so I just called to see if I could buy it directly, but he asked for an offer, so I offered 100 to get started. The guy was like he was offered 3K for it a few years ago. I told him if he wants to sell it for that, that he has to renew it first. He then tried to say that they have to give him 30 days. That is how it works on godaddy, but I am afraid that on his current registrar, he will be disappointed if he does not renew the domain name. I may end up buying it at auction for way less than he is wanting.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Let me finish the scenario... And then your target name drops, It is put up to expired auction, you win the auction for say $123.50, and then instead of transfering it to you, they send another email to let the clown have another chance. So you get strung along and wait 10 more days, maybe even have a customer lined up during this stupid grace period AFTER you won it at this FAKE auction. Then he renews it.

This extra grace period stuff is unbusiness like, once the hammer falls on an auction whatever is being sold, should be sold. Period. The end. Tough for the previous owner being uninformed, changed the email, irresponsible, lazy, without cash.... who cares. This is "the dog ate my homework" stuff, I feel it is nonsense completely.

•••
i have 1st hand recent experience with this..

one of my domains on domain.com went to gd expired auctions on day 26 after expiry.. which is their regular timeframe for this, no matter registrar I think.. there someone bid on it.. so 10 days later after auction end.. so day 36... domain is removed from my domain.com account.. and goes into transfer through afternic holding to new owner on godaddy... there is no way to retrieve it then. not even $100 redemption fee etc..

now this is I think different if your domain is on gd registrar.. then you can renew even if somoene wins.. all in all.. be careful how long into expiry you wait to renew your domains!

•••
yes it make no sense, why godaddy want make renewal fees but not $123.50 + renewal fees ?!

Last edited:
•••
To clarify, this is an auction on NameSilo, but he thinks it is the same as on GD, which has that 30 day grace period. He has 30 days on NS, but he is 6 days off from hitting that, and there are already 70 dollars in bids for the name.

Last edited:
•••
So, once NS puts it up, that's it? I hope that is the case, and that you get the name. Post here if you do.

•••
So, once NS puts it up, that's it? I hope that is the case, and that you get the name. Post here if you do.

Oh he still can renew it till the last day, but after the 6 days are done, the winner of the auction gets the name. It is not like GD where you "win" it and then have to wait for the owner to renew it. It is a completely different setup. But I had a few names I bid up there, and then last minute, the buyer renewed, which is annoying, but he is confused about the process at NS.

•••
BTW I called him from the US to Canada to see if he would sell it, in part to see if I could get a deal, but knowing the value, I did also not want to just see him loose it without giving him a chance to renew it. And knowing the system at NS, I know they also email you when you are about to loose a name to an auction after not renewing it. I had a guy bid 1 dollar on one of mine, and it was the last day of the auction. I renewed it.

•••
I know they also email you when you are about to loose a name to an auction after not renewing it. I had a guy bid 1 dollar on one of mine, and it was the last day of the auction. I renewed it.
I just disagree with this auction "babysitting" by registries... auctions should never ever be started in any situation until whatever is being sold is free and clear or considered abandoned. Period.

Imagine going to buy a used car. You drive to dealership, test drive, negotiate price, pay them in full. Then they tell you as you head out the door thinking that you are going to drive it home... but sorry... we need to wait a few more days because the car was repossessed and the previous owner might pay us. We need to call him once again to make sure. Please! The dealer had no right to offer it for sale in the first place, and they took the money.

•••
I just disagree with this auction "babysitting" by registries... auctions should never ever be started in any situation until whatever is being sold is free and clear or considered abandoned. Period.

Imagine going to buy a used car. You drive to dealership, test drive, negotiate price, pay them in full. Then they tell you as you head out the door thinking that you are going to drive it home... but sorry... we need to wait a few more days because the car was repossessed and the previous owner might pay us. We need to call him once again to make sure. Please! The dealer had no right to offer it for sale in the first place, and they took the money.
I could not agree more. This one name, I bid 25 or 50 for it, and was hoping I would get it, it was the name of a man-made city in SA, but after I placed my bid, a few hours later, it was renewed.

FYI: The domain name, in this case, was renewed after 300 dollars in bids...

•••
I could not agree more. This one name, I bid 25 or 50 for it, and was hoping I would get it, it was the name of a man-made city in SA, but after I placed my bid, a few hours later, it was renewed.

This is a problem with auctioning from a distance, digital assets with people who sit behind computers instead of real world interaction. I don't believe that these registries really have any experience in real auctions, from real auction houses. Nobody would participate or invest their time or money attending one like we do in person, in a real live auction setting, this "last chance" to previous owner garbage would never fly for a second. Once something is on the block, its gone unless a reserve is unmet.

•••
Rarely do I bother with nSilo anymore, really I think the structure of their auctions favors the former owners, not the buyers, except maybe if they had bad whois info and are unaware.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/letting-namesilo-names-expire-to-see-if-they-get-bids.993819/

Plus with blind bidding, if this domain went unrenewed, I am pretty sure it would have skyrocketed above resale in the last seconds anyway. My guess is this one would have gone into 4 figures, even with the non chip number.

The only useful thing is now they added a watchlist with email notification, have a bunch of data I haven't yet gone through to see how often decent domains get renewed or transferred.

•••
Every single domain I win at NS gets renewed. Waste of time. Money stuck with them for days.

•••
Every single domain I win at NS gets renewed. Waste of time. Money stuck with them for days.
I have actually got quite a few a year or so ago (you can see most on 1280.info) but in the last year it is hard to get anything now.

•••
Rarely do I bother with nSilo anymore, really I think the structure of their auctions favors the former owners, not the buyers, except maybe if they had bad whois info and are unaware.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/letting-namesilo-names-expire-to-see-if-they-get-bids.993819/

Thanks for the link, I am glad to know more info and that is third platform I have discovered. I really disagree and won't actively participate in these wishy washy auction sites. Either something is for sale or it isn't. An auction is not a testbed or appraisal service.

I do have to say that I really like Namesilo as a registry and they have good pricing, customer service, and the human interface for batch processing is great.

Last edited:
•••
I have actually got quite a few a year or so ago (you can see most on 1280.info) but in the last year it is hard to get anything now.
you have some good ones in that portfolio.

•••

I saw tht name to and was also watching it..i also mailed him but he ignored i guess hes also a domainer and wanted to see how much it would hit before renewing it

•••
you have some good ones in that portfolio.
Thank you. I have a lot of names I got there and from other people, as well as a few LLLLs that I bought at ebay, namejet, one at snapnames, etc. Some of my oldest names are from the ns auctions though.

•••
Thank you. I have a lot of names I got there and from other people, as well as a few LLLLs that I bought at ebay, namejet, one at snapnames, etc. Some of my oldest names are from the ns auctions though.

I am happy to comb the drops and pay to catch or reg what I can. Its a lot of work, but I got an uncommon female name .com recently that way. So like you, it depends on the angle. These niche angles and things come and go, so you need to enjoy while they last.

•••
I am happy to comb the drops and pay to catch or reg what I can. Its a lot of work, but I got an uncommon female name .com recently that way. So like you, it depends on the angle. These niche angles and things come and go, so you need to enjoy while they last.
:) I have one Jewelyn that is a female name too, but it also could be used for jewelry.

•••
I saw tht name to and was also watching it..i also mailed him but he ignored i guess hes also a domainer and wanted to see how much it would hit before renewing it
I spoke to him on the phone, and he came across rather ignorant to me. He said things that made no sense whatsoever, but that is alright, its his name, he can have it. I would rather have had 48H (48 hours like my 24hrloancenter name).

Last edited:
•••
Wow, That should be a good brand too, its unique. Its finding the end user customer where its tough. Do you get a few inquiries from your own website?

•••
Sometimes, though not as often as Id like, but that is probably because it is a .info and other than having it on URPage, I dont advertise it much. It is not my first focus to sell names, rather make websites on them and make them profitable.

•••
Sometimes, though not as often as Id like, but that is probably because it is a .info and other than having it on URPage, I dont advertise it much. It is not my first focus to sell names, rather make websites on them and make them profitable.

I have made a bunch of websites but the ranking is difficult, even one that had ton's of backlinks dropped and got reindexed with my minor content only. The major site I bought and populated it over a couple months and had 10K pages all indexed, however few rank the long tails obviously- G primarily just scraped my keywords and my info and then used for their ranking the tube videos instead... lol. I am not really laughing though, if you think about it that is why so many of these dropped names that had content were of failed business', personal websites, that got chewed up and spit out.

•••
I used to post youtube videos in the past. I have had millions of views. I am about to graduate college, then I will go for a Masters next year, but thing is, you also have to be involved in social media if you want to be successful in marketing. I started a group several years ago on fb, and it grew to about 90K members, and I published a cookbook out of that, so that is now on Amazon, where people can buy it. Today's marketing is not as simple as some would like it to be, using just domain names. I wish it was, but other than sites like FreeBit.co.in, I dont have that much success with type-in traffic anymore. Point being, domains are great, but you have to draw traffic to them with Facebook and youtube etc...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back