IT.COM

advice Domain sold at both Afternic and Sedo.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

medomain

Established Member
Impact
What do I do in this case? A domain is sold on auction at Sedo and BIN at Afternic. The afternic sale is two times more than sedo. Any suggestion what to do now?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Maybe someone who lost the auction at Sedo, wanted the name badly and grabbed the bin right after the auction. (Maybe they overslept or something at the time the auction was closing lol)

Option 1: If you make alot of sales on sedo then take the sedo price. Otherwise your account may be suspended or something...maybe. With afternic you can tell them immediately that the domain already sold and they will notify buyer without any issue.

But as someone said above: It may be choosing between losing your sedo account and getting a bigger sale. maybe try contacting sedo first and see what they will do if you can't honor the sale.

My choice: I would honor the sale from where ever the sale completed first. Maybe sedo..because the auction started before your name sold on afternic. Otherwise you would not have started the auction. And you would have got into an agreement with sedo already. Integrity matters.

•••
Take the BIN at Afternic and use the extra $$$ to pay the Sedo commission that you will owe for backing out. Sedo just wants their fee, and if you pay that, you can keep your account.

This all assumes the Afternic offer is legit.

•••
Where is it registered? If it’s at GoDaddy you might be forced to use afternic because they can pull the name from your account.

•••
Can't tell much about sedo auction but similar case happened with me.

My domain was listed as BIN. It sold through Afternic. I forgot to remove it from Sedo.

After 2 months, it got sold in SEDO. I was asked to transfer the domain.

Then I had to apologize for my mistake and promised to take care from next time. Sedo didn't ban me.
I have 1000+ domains with them.

•••
The sedo auction did not start by itself. You either entered it into auction, pushed it to auction etc. That means you made a decision to auction it. Any listings elsewhere should have been removed at that point as the domain was sold with the first bid (assuming it did not have a reserve).

Afternic will understand if you say you forgot to remove the listing and the domain sold already at sedo. And they will cancel the sale.

It would be the right thing to do. And then remember to remove BIN listings in the future.

•••
My suggestion is to only have a buy it now in one place if at all.

•••
Lets get the facts straight(The Bottom Line)...
  1. The domain did not sell on both marketplaces at the same time. Why? The moment you started an auction at sedo where people are actively bidding..then you have already sold the name at sedo. You may not know the final price until the auction ends but the name is guaranteed sold from the first bid. So lets cut out this lie that the name was sold at both places. Implying it happened at the same time period. You can't start an auction and have a name listed as "buy now" somewhere else. That means two possible things: (A)-You were irresponsible and have no one else to blame. (B). You knew the name was listed on Afternic and did nothing about it, meaning you already made up in your heart and mind to not "honor" the auction if your name sold elsewhere while the auction was live.
Honor the sale from where ever the sale completed first. Maybe sedo..because the auction started before your name sold on afternic. Otherwise you would not have started the auction. And you would have got into an agreement with sedo already.

Integrity matters.

Yes, Afternic would mean more money. it's tempting, we can all relate and we understand. But the loss of your integrity in this business and in general is a far bigger loss. And the extra cash is temporary. So you would lose your sedo account, lose your honor/integrity, lose business and trust from your fellow domainers here on namepros. Sometimes the right call isn't the easy call, but it's the only call. Don't beat up yourself... just use this as a lesson to be better.

Concern:
Lets hope you didn't have the name on "fast transfer".
Maybe a buyer who missed out on the auction could be phony too but not wrong. Why? They may lose the auction, but have knowledge of afternic/godaddy fast transfer and took advantage to get around owning the name.

Last edited:
•••
@karmaco : I think his BIN was set only at one place.

Solution : If we want to list the domain in auction at marketplace B for which we had set BIN in the past at marketplace A, then first convert BIN to make an offer at marketplace A and then start auction at marketplace B.

•••
This is why you only use BIN at one place. As a buyer I always have to worry about these scenarios.

•••
How does one pay the fees? call them to calculate the fees and how does it work?

When the domain at Sedo is sold, the bill is automatically added to your account - look in the sales section of that domain and you will see a pending commission bill that is assumed to be paid from the net proceeds, but if you have already sold it through Afternic, then you can pay it anytime.

But first, tell them the domain is already sold, and apologize, so they can cancel the sale and ask you for the commission.

Last edited:
•••
At sedo if a game is sold you have a legal agreement with buyer.
If you do not give the name, buyer can take legal actions against seller as the cases someone buys a domain and does not pay and seller can take legal actions (Even if i think none does - just reminding sedo TOS)

stay calm
nobody is going to go to a foreign court for a few dollars

•••
My suggestion is to only have a buy it now in one place if at all.
I did this recently only to have a name sell at Dynadot market place and Sedo, the dynadot sale was instantly transferred before I could even notify Sedo of the situation , Sedo threatened to make me to pay the sales fee regardless. I pointed out they allow multiple listings for domains and they backed off but still awkward to deal with.

•••
Rather, it's the same buyer, accept Sedo and inform Afternic about the situation. If the buyer paid at Sedo, he will not pay via Afternic

•••
Can't tell much about sedo auction but similar case happened with me.

My domain was listed as BIN. It sold through Afternic. I forgot to remove it from Sedo.

After 2 months, it got sold in SEDO. I was asked to transfer the domain.

Then I had to apologize for my mistake and promised to take care from next time. Sedo didn't ban me.
I have 1000+ domains with them.
@medomain IMO this is the way to go you"ll save both accounts.

Last edited:
•••
If you signed up for Afternic fast transfer with GD and the purchase was BIN they will auto remove the domain from your account.

You need to try and find out who the buyer was - it maybe the same person.

•••
How do i find out who the buyer is? I could only see on sedo that the buyer is from USA but nothing on Afternic.

You don't.

That's the entire purpose of privacy, and if you dig too deep online you might be digging your own grave.

Since you cannot sell a domain twice, just make a call on which sale to complete, and contact the other service with a "sorry, but the domain is already sold and I forgot to remove it".

Done.

Done.

Done.

•••
If Fast Transfer is active on Afternic, won't that automatically take over and there is no choice? Perhaps Fast Transfer was not active though.

Fast Transfer was not active on Afternic. Only BIN. The domain is not parked at Afternic

•••
Don't put yourself in this position, leave one marketplace BIN and the other make offer. Did you think you could have your cake and eat it too? How dare you.

•••
You started Sedo auction
You had to delete it at Afternic

I got 4 inquiry on a domain
I updated it all marketplaces
I forgot Afternic ( lowest price ) but I sold

You have to be honest and give it to the Sedo buyer 👍

•••
What do I do in this case? A domain is sold on auction at Sedo and BIN at Afternic. The afternic sale is two times more than sedo. Any suggestion what to do now?
How do you feel if you would be the Sedo buyer ❓
What happen if you start a auction here at NP and than sold bin at Afternic ❓

•••
Talk to Afternic agent immediately.. They would understand and there is small fine for this if it's same rules with Godaddy, first time pay $40-50 to stop processing on Afternic, then complete the process on Sedo.

Last edited:
•••
Accidents happen but if you do this on purpose you deserve to be banned from the platforms.

•••
At sedo if a game is sold you have a legal agreement with buyer.
If you do not give the name, buyer can take legal actions against seller as the cases someone buys a domain and does not pay and seller can take legal actions (Even if i think none does - just reminding sedo TOS)

You forget that the other buyer has the exact same legal rights :)

•••
if you were willing to loose your sedo account then go for afternic

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back