Dynadot

Domain scammer

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This person, [email protected]. is trying to sell me a domain i let drop, for 10k, by saying he wants to buy it for 50k. Not the first time some moron tried this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
So scammer picks up the domain on the drop, lists it for $10K, then floats a $50K offer to you in hopes that you will buy it for $10K. If that works, he is dancing all the way to the bank and you are holding a domain that you did not want to keep in the first place. I wonder if anyone has fallen for that one before. I guess it needs to work just once to make it worth it for the scammer.

•••
So scammer picks up the domain on the drop, lists it for $10K, then floats a $50K offer to you in hopes that you will buy it for $10K. If that works, he is dancing all the way to the bank and you are holding a domain that you did not want to keep in the first place. I wonder if anyone has fallen for that one before. I guess it needs to work just once to make it worth it for the scammer.

ahhh okay that makes more sense...thanks for clearing that up. Much appreciated.

•••
I don't see how this is scamming. It just seems like psychological marketing.

you made it sound like he didn't buy your domain then pretended to buy it for 10k and somehow tried to sell it to you for 50k or something like that

•••
Last edited:
•••
I still don't get it? Why would anybody pay 10K for a domain they let drop?

•••
•••
I still don't get it? Why would anybody pay 10K for a domain they let drop?

he picked up the dropped name and listed at $10k and then he emailed the person who used to own the dropped name pertending to be someone else and offering $50k for the name, so the person who dropped the name goes and buys it back for $10k as he thinks someone wants it for $50k and then the $50k deal never happens as it was him pertending so you just buy the name back at $10k

•••
I get it now after reading his post again. Took me a while, I did not sleep well last night LOL

•••
wow! as newbie, i could have easily fell for this kind of scam. thanks for the explanation @iwon24 & @Picassoface for creating this thread.

•••
he picked up the dropped name and listed at $10k and then he emailed the person who used to own the dropped name pertending to be someone else and offering $50k for the name, so the person who dropped the name goes and buys it back for $10k as he thinks someone wants it for $50k and then the $50k deal never happens as it was him pertending so you just buy the name back at $10k

WHAT THE F THAT IS MESSED UP!

huge scam, and it won't work for 10k vs 50k

but I'm sure and pretty sure that it would work for say $100 and $300.

Last edited:
•••
tell him to Wire / Western Union atleast half first. (or any non reversible way the buyer can send money)

Just make the scammer waste a bunch of their time before they get the hint...
Since they are a domainer, they are probably on this forum anyways lol

Last edited:
•••
deleleted no problem wanted for now

Last edited:
•••
Sorry for not clarifying. Yes, i let it drop and he bought it and made up a tall tale about being the tourism director for colima and wants to buy visitcolima.com for $50,000

•••
Hello,

Iam still waiting for your response. Are you going to sell to us your domain VisitColima.com?? ; We need to know that as soon as possible, the develop team is waiting for the domain name, to start coding, web design and preparing the launching of the Tourist website.

Let me know your final Sell Price and which Payment method you will accept, (escrow, paypal, wire transfer etc.). We cant pay you more than $ 50,000 USD, do not price your domain above our budget please.

Thanks again!
Armando C.
Colima Municipal Administration - Tourism Division.

•••
this is tricky scam..world is full of bad guys :(

•••
•••
I said i am letting other domainers know his name and what he tried to do. He is the fourth person to try this on one of my drops so its more common than we know.

•••
Tell him you purchased a similar name for ...........$75,000
~
Just for fun

•••
Just friendly reminder to all members here at NamePro; very and very extremely careful of what are your accusations are all about. That these accusations, can come back to you. This is an Internet, and is being viewed all over the world. There are some newer laws of an internet that you must be aware of. "Defamation of character" Think of about it solidly; before doing things. Thanks.

•••
you had a leg up anyway knowing you sold it before you were approached, you already know that something is up with it coming to you about it. Just say you sold it or dropped it and best of luck. Move to spam. delete. lol.

•••
Just friendly reminder to all members here at NamePro; very and very extremely careful of what are your accusations are all about. That these accusations, can come back to you. This is an Internet, and is being viewed all over the world. There are some newer laws of an internet that you must be aware of. "Defamation of character" Think of about it solidly; before doing things. Thanks.
Good to consider.

In this case, though, I think it's more a case of "revelation of character". Truth is always in the pudding, and the puddings on the table.

•••
Hello,

Iam still waiting for your response. Are you going to sell to us your domain VisitColima.com?? ; We need to know that as soon as possible, the develop team is waiting for the domain name, to start coding, web design and preparing the launching of the Tourist website.

Let me know your final Sell Price and which Payment method you will accept, (escrow, paypal, wire transfer etc.). We cant pay you more than $ 50,000 USD, do not price your domain above our budget please.

Thanks again!
Armando C.
Colima Municipal Administration - Tourism Division.

You should have played his game. I would have said I agree to the $50K offer and immediately open an escrow payment request and wait for him to pay $50K. He evidently won't pay the 50K if it's a scam so it will end right then and there.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back