NameSilo

Domain scam on NamePros

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I was PM'd by WebDivaMarissa to buy www.worldofbritney.com
for $12,500 - 10 to 20k uniques a day. 7k a month revenue. I thought it must be a scam after seeing the revenue / sale price ratio. But I agreed and said I'll set up a escrow account. She then said escrow.com has been known to rip people off and she would only take Paypal or wire. I contacted the worldofbritney.com webmaster and confirmed it was all a scam.

She knows it's common practice here that people pay via Paypal for domains. Now had she not been so greedy and tried selling me a modest site for 2k I might have fallen for her scam and Paypaled her the 2k.

Watch out.....

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks Prime Minister

Appreciate the warning!

LBM

•••
•••
•••
•••
Apreciate the tip PM, we've banned this user and will be watching out for a return.

•••
Yikes! Can't be too careful these days. Thanks indeed!

DD

•••
Thanks for the heads up on this.

This may sound like repeated advice, but it can't be said enough (especially if you poke around on ebay too).

Always, always, establish ownership of the domain if you are spending anything over two digits.

First three things when evaluating a name:
1. Whois direct from registrar
2. Google
3. Wayback machine

If you see any conflicting info and/or if your emails aren't coming/going from the domain listed anywhere in the whois, you best ask why and ask them to prove it.

Also, when you paypal, you can find out their name, address and real working email by just sending $1 first. So if you not 100% sure, start with $1 before you lose more :)

•••
This name>>WebDivaMarissa >>could be possible not owned by a lady.

•••
For me i would never pay by paypal anything over $1k

•••
This member posted only twice on Namepros (no Trader ratings), both as responses in the Wanted's Forum. As mentioned, the accound has been disabled ... and we'll be vigilant for any type/form of return.
If something like this ever occurs, please feel free to open an "Private-to-Staff" thread, and we'll get on it promptly.
Escrow.com is a recommended service, and Buyers/Sellers are encouraged to utilize it according to their own negotiated terms/costs sharing/min. dollar value transactions, what have you.
Thanks again for the "heads-up" here.
B-)

•••
:tu:

Thanks prime minister
Can't be to careful these days.

Thanks aww
That's a great idea about sending $1 and checking the person information, before paying the total.

It seens some people are willing to do anything to get money from you.

•••
I never pay for transactions over $500 using paypal. I highly recommend escrow.com for larger transactions.

•••
BE VERY CAREFUL. I know this person. Does anyone remember WishOnAStar.net?? Well that's the owner. She is a sick sick person, she ripped teenagers off because she knew she could. She's a known scammer.. AOL won't shut her accounts off.. numerous times we have contacted them. She gave out illegal UPS accounts on her site as well as other stuff. Be careful!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back