Dynadot

Domain Renewals - Is Reverse Option Billing still a thing in some jurisdictions?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

drissesco

Established Member
Impact
Surprisingly yes...

I registered 2 "free" .tech domains last year, so no credit card info was provided. When the domains came up for renewal I had no interest in renewing, didn't respond to any communication from the Domain Reseller... and assumed (please no Bad News Bears references) as with all my previous domain name drops that if I did nothing, provided no payment information... That would be that, and the domains would drop.

However, these domains were registered through a Domain Reseller in Germany... Where Reverse Option Billing is the norm and the domains were renewed.

I still do not want the domains and have been contacted by a German Law Firm/Collection Agency to settle their inflated claim, additional costs and fees have accumulated.

I responded to the German Law Firm/Collection Agency that even though their client may have in their TOS that the laws of Germany apply... I have no presence in Germany so good luck trying to collect, stop wasting your time and your client's money.

My argument is that Reverse Option Billing is illegal in Canada, as well as other countries. I am based in Canada, the Company that provided the services to the Domain Reseller is based in Canada and by having an agreement with that Company, the Domain Reseller has a presence in Canada... So if they want to try and collect... Good Luck.

Am I wrong?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In Germany (and Austria) it's common practice to renew domains forever, and bill the registrant - until you explicitly abandon the domains.

•••
I would take that up with ICANN Compliance.

Go to this form:

https://forms.icann.org/en/resources/compliance/complaints/registrars/standards-complaint-form

Explain that you did not consent to renewal, there were no extenuating circumstances, and that your registrar is billing you for a renewal you did not want. Quote the following section of the Registrar Accreditation Agreement:

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/approved-with-specs-2013-09-17-en#raa

3.7.5 At the conclusion of the registration period, failure by or on behalf of the Registered Name Holder to consent that the registration be renewed within the time specified in a second notice or reminder shall, in the absence of extenuating circumstances, result in cancellation of the registration by the end of the auto-renew grace period (although Registrar may choose to cancel the name earlier).

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back