IT.COM

Domain Registry of America / droa.com = Scam Artists!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
:alien: Believe it or not today I received 12 "spam" snail mail letters today from this stupid company
Domain Registry of America
189 Queen Street., Suite 209
Melbourne, 3000
Australia

The thing that amazes me is the letters were sent from the Phillipines, obviously because it is probably much cheaper for this scam company to post to their potential scammed customers to re-register their expiring domain names.

They recommend that I re-register my names for a yearly fee of $38.00 AUD or $25.00USD per year.

For a start what a bloody rip-off, and as if I would be sucked in to post these scam artists my credit card details.

Unfortunately I live on the Western side of Australia, if I did live in Melbourne on the Eastern side of Australia I would visit their office and have a word to say to them.

I wonder how many other domainers receive these snail mail scams or if they actually suck many people in to re-registering their names... it pisses me off that they have used my whois info to post these letters to me.... Unfortunately I cannot afford to hide my whois through idprotect at enom.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
^^ I posted a thread about this like yesterday.

•••
cmos said:
^^ I posted a thread about this like yesterday.

Sorry I did not know that, wasn't trying to eat your cake! :hearts:

•••
•••
•••
" Register your domain name now for only $40.00!
for a two year term, or $25.00 for a one year term."

I better go get one for that price!! Hehe, :tu:

•••
Heh, I get enough of these kind of e-mails even if I don't provide my e-mail address or anything. :(

•••
I got one of these in snail mail too. I got one last year that I think was even worse. This one at least says "this is not a bill," but they still try to make it out like you have to pay the fee to keep your domain and I'm sure a lot of people fall for it.

•••
I feel like going up to buffalo NY where these a holes are based and kicking some rear. These guys are complete slime

•••
I will get 8-10 a week, then none for a few months. I don't even bother opening them any more, and throw their postage dollars in the trash can.

Just like spam, I'm sure enough people fall for it to keep them in business.

•••
got a new one today in the postal mail,

Liberty names of america lnoa.com looked similar to droa

•••
I continue receiving junk mail and spam from these guys and their ilk, so it appears that their business is lucrative. Any ideas on how to stop them?

For those unfamilar with DROA, these are the guys who keep sending out official looking domain renewal notices, made to look like bills or invoices to fool the uninformed domain owner. They have lost several cases, but probably just move to another state or country, and resume operations.

They do provide a toll-free number - 1.800.591.7398. Considering that toll-free numbers cost a few cents per minute, I wonder if a few hundred irate domainers calling them everyday can convince them to stop?

Any other ideas?

•••
Canada too!

Quite worthy to note that the same thing happens in Canada, with the (drumroll! :o ) DROC - Domain Registry of Canada!

Same company? I can't believe governments haven't heard about this yet, or at least the postal services? They actually send mail to my address, which also must cost $...

•••
The postal service makes money out of these schemes, so I imagine they wouldn't be so bothered about it. To them, these look just like any other junk mailer.

•••
If they include a postage paid return enelope - drop it back in the mailbox - let them pay the postage BOTH ways.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back