Dynadot

advice Domain Registration Strategy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I'm glad you clicked on the click-bait title. It's meant as a joke, but I'm sure registrars don't actually want you to do this.

If you impulsively hand-register domains regularly - this is for you.

By using this simple "trick", you'll save 95% of your money on hand-regs (because you won't register as much), you'll make 300% more sales, and you'll still get to have fun hand-regging names. Did I make these stats up? Yes! But trust me, your wallet will thank you.

So here's the trick.

1) Go to excel, create a new spreadsheet.
2) Add categories that make up a good name. These can be anything that you judge names on. Length, taken extensions, radio test, etc.
3) Now, each time you want to register a name, add it on the spread sheet.
4) Go through each of the categories and give it a rating out of 10 for each category.
5) If a name meets your own criteria, go for it! Register it. If it doesn't, save your money.

Tip: You can use your past names that sold, or that you really like, to establish a baseline score.

Just by going through this process, and rating each of the categories, you'll be able to look at these names more impartially.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
4) Go through each of the categories and give it a rating out of 10 for each category.
This is the point where everything fails
if the rating is not good .... everything sinks

•••
Let me shorten your post a bit: ''if the name you found is good - register it. Other names could be saved on Excel for future possible use''.
That's really, truly, big-time, full-time real valuable information right here you provided. Man, I wish I knew it earlier. I just can't thank you enough for posting it.

•••
Let me shorten your post a bit: ''if the name you found is good - register it. Other names could be saved on Excel for future possible use''.
That's really, truly, big-time, full-time real valuable information right here you provided. Man, I wish I knew it earlier. I just can't thank you enough for posting it.

That's not the crux of it. There are a lot of people who think they know what a good name is, but they typically end up buying the names impulsively, often not adhering even to their own set of criteria. This is just a simple trick that allows you to look at the names more objectively. By going trough the categories one by one, they will likely make better decisions, which will result in a lot of money saved.

•••
This is the point where everything fails
if the rating is not good .... everything sinks
That's true, but even then, if you go through this process, you'll still end up making MUCH better decisions. Most of the time, domainers fail to adhere to their own criteria because they lack the discipline. How do I know? I did the same thing.

•••
That's true, but even then, if you go through this process, you'll still end up making MUCH better decisions. Most of the time, domainers fail to adhere to their own criteria because they lack the discipline. How do I know? I did the same thing.

For me domaining is not 1+1=2
Have many factors and not have the sames rules for all TLDs have very huge different, I think.
It´s difficult set good points to check.

•••
That's not the crux of it. There are a lot of people who think they know what a good name is, but they typically end up buying the names impulsively, often not adhering even to their own set of criteria. This is just a simple trick that allows you to look at the names more objectively. By going trough the categories one by one, they will likely make better decisions, which will result in a lot of money saved.

I honestly don't agree with it. Because if you don't know the value of a name (an all newbie problem) in the first place, you will not understand the value of it after staring at them for hours, or even putting them in a certain order. And criterias - you simply don't know which ones to apply, counting lack of experience. An impulse buy - is normally a newbie problem.
Normally after a couple years of dominating everyone who stays in this business already knows how to deal with it, because you know what sells and what's not. You simply know that buying some combination with ''meta'' will require a fast analysis and action and buying something with ''PigsHair'' definitely can wait (better forever).
But in the first year you generally see no difference between the two...

Last edited:
•••
Even as an experienced domainer, I like to put my potential hand regs in a spreadsheet and "sleep on it". Speed = bad decisions sometimes. It is the same thing I do in business with important or angry emails. I don't send them right away and go back and look at them later. Normally I don't end up sending them - I just pick up the phone and call the person instead.

If you don't know what a "good" domain is, kind of irrelevant but slowing it down can still help.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back