Domain Empire

Domain propagation / e-mail propagation?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi guys,

I'm swapping someones website and e-mail over to a new host for them and I'm a little confused. I know about the two week domain propagation period for websites but is it the same for e-mail?

I've deleted her e-mail account from her old host and created a new one (with the same address) on her new host. Now she is receiving e-mail from some people on the new one but when I send her a test e-mail it never gets there.

Is this likely to be because of the propagation?

When I type in her domain name, it takes me to the new host (when I did it at home lastnight it went to the old one). This made me think that the e-mail should be working from here if the website is.

Does that make sense?

I'd be really greatful for any help! Thanks heaps!

Neil

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Two week propagation time? Usually, nameserver changes take effect in a few hours and at the latest within 24-48 hours. This is the same for email and websites if configured properly.

Make sure your domain's MX records are resolving properly if you suspect email is the only issue. Also run a check on www.dnsreport.com to see the specific issues with the domain's DNS

•••
Thanks for your reply... I actually just sent another test e-mail to the account and it has come through this time.

However, when I went to dnsreport.com I got these errors:

MX FAIL MX Category ERROR: I couldn't find any MX records for pastperspectives.com. If you want to receive E-mail on this domain, you should have MX record(s). Without any MX records, mailservers should attempt to deliver mail to the A record for pastperspectives.com. I can't continue in a case like this, so I'm assuming you don't receive mail on this domain.

Mail FAIL Connect to mail servers ERROR: I could not find any mailservers for pastperspectives.com.

What does this mean?

Thanks

Neil

•••
Right, so that means that your DNS record does not contain any valid MX (email) records. Talk to your host to fix this, or your DNS administrator

•••
I just realised I forgot to put in the .au so it was the wrong domain. I got in touch with the provider anyway and they said everything is fine.

Thanks for your help!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back