IT.COM

DNS propagation?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Truespin Domains

Top Member
Impact
I've got a domain that currently resolves to two different IPs, depending on your ISP. Equally different Whois services display different results.

In the old days DNS propagation used to take ages, but in recent years its alway felt much faster. Can it still takes up to 72 hours?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
on godaddy i could get dns propagation completed under 30 minutes most domain registrar will give 24 hours warning for this dns propagation, but in reality most of dns propagation could be completed under 12hours.

Last edited:
•••
I run all my DNS requirements through cloudns. propagation can take as little as 5 mins.

•••
Nameserver propagation is nearly instant these days, but what can take some time is for the cached DNS records to be cleared by your local PC or other networks/routers. This is generally determined by your DNS records TTL settings. Network devices generally will not look for a new IP until its TTL time has passed from it's last query on that address.

Mainly meaning - if you are on a device that had just looked up the old DNS before you changed it - it will retain that for a while before refreshing. If you look from a device that had not queried the DNS for the domain, then it will return the new information virtually right away.

Last edited:
•••
What's the domain name ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back