IT.COM

Domain prices going down, now at $4.95 per year in Netfirms

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hey all,

I've set-up a new blog and have posted a quick note that may be of interest, in an effort to start off promoting it, and the gist of the matter is simply this, that while prices of domain names have been going down even further lately, Netfirms so far takes the cake: $4.95 per year for domain regs (.com, .net. org, and a bunch of others.), with 2 months free hosting, etc. etc.. I asked a rep what the catch is, and they said there isn't any (well of course), and that anyone can cancel the hosting even before the 2-months is up and even transfer the domain name out to another registrar (Perhaps the only catch is that you have to cancel the hosting). Otherwise it is all looking legit, esp. from a more known company like Netfirms.

I've been wary of many of those really-cheap-domain-regs before but which have nasty hidden costs or do not allow you to transfer out, etc., so this is quite the welcome news. If you'd like to check out a few more notes check out my blog www.hostpundit.com ... Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Even "cheaper"...

Domainsarefree.com has $3.99 domains (even cheaper).. haven't used them yet tho. Thanks for your post btw.. always looking for "deals"..

Is hosting turned on by default or can you opt out on signup? I'm always suspicious of deals requiring you to cancel before xx amount of time..

Last edited:
•••
Sure thing, Yes I've heard about one of them (not sure if it was domainsarefree or one like it) and "almost" wanted to try them out at one time, until seeing a growing number of complaints about them and realized this was probably one of the cases where there the fine print or another factor would cause you lots of grief.

dgridley said:
Is hosting turned on by default or can you opt out on signup? I'm always suspocious of deals requiring you to cancel before xx amount of time..
Yes they said hosting is turned on by default, but they explicitly specified that they don't have any hidden charges nor terms, and that a customer can cancel hosting even before the 2 months are up, and even transfer the domain to another registrar (within the ICANN limits that is) anytime too. Perhaps if there were a catch that would be it, that you have to actively opt-out. But they've been around for several years already and seem to have a solid rep (remains to be seen tho).

Last edited:
•••
I wouldn't trust a domain registrar that's under six dollars.

•••
Steveh said:
I wouldn't trust a domain registrar that's under six dollars.

Because they are loss leaders? I'll pay the extra buck or two myself also.

•••
Ruining the domain market in my opinion. How can you sell that cheap? :o

•••
•••
You to know how stable and trustworthy a company before purchasing anything. One company is EV1servers.net when they have had a 5$ a year last year, i bought 3 domains with them.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back