Dynadot

Domain Parking advice from a parking veteran

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ParkingVeteran

Impact
Being in the domain parking industry for the last 7 years and living solely off of domain parking for the last 5 years I thought I would chime in and give my 2 cents from a domain parking veteran with a large portfolio. Some things you might already know, some other things might be new to you. Take from it what you find useful.

Above.com (Trellian - DomainState - KeywordDiscovery)
Pro: Useful for large portfolio owners to figure out where there domains perform better.
Con: They have been having too many stats issues and synycing problems with parking providers.
Tip: Don't keep your domains here. Figure out which place performs better and park there.

Bodis.com (NamePros.com - Matt Wegrzyn - Bodis founder)
Pro: Good parking provider for international traffic. Simple 1 click template.
Con: Lately very low CPC comapred to other parking providers.
Tip: Good sales platform. They only keep 5% commission, lowest in the industry.

DomainNameSales.com (Frank Schilling - founder)
Pro: Good parking revenue, excellent sales platform.
Con: Very difficult to get into unless you have a large portfolio or premium domain names.
Tip: When applying instead of submitting 1000 of your domains, include 15 - 20 premium ones.

DomainSponsor.com (Oversee.net - DomainFest)
Pro: Solid parking company with some of the highest CPC in the industry. Net 7 pay.
Con: Recently they took away a large number of their landers, only few choices for tier one (Google) parking.
Tip: DS shines when it comes to traffic from U.S., especially related to finance, insurance & business.

Fabulous.com (DarkBlueSea - Domain Distribution Network)
Pro: Top notch domain regsitrar, caters to large porfolio owners.
Con: Poor parking revenue, low cpc.
Tip: Register your domains here due to low .com bulk pricing, park elsewhere.

NameDrive.com (KeyDrive - Moniker - SnapNames - NDOverdrive)
Pro: Large number of templates to choose from, both 1 click and 2 click.
Con: Overall revenue not as high as some other parking companies.
Tip: If you have a nice size porfolio apply for ND Overdrive, more revenue, better stats.

Sedo.com (SedoPro)
Pro: Good place to sell domains.
Con: Terrible parking revenue. To get a decent revenue you have to signup for SedoPro, and even then parking revenue isn't all that great.
Tip: Go into your control panel and select the option to hide stats from public for low traffic domains.

SmartName.com (GoDaddy.com)
Pro: Decent parking provider with good sales intergration with GoDaddy.com (parent company.
Con: Lacks good templates. Very picky when it comes to TM domains.
Tip: Good place to park for those that don't care too much for parking revenue but want to sell their names (GoDaddy search integration)

Parked.com (N/A)
Pro: Used to be one of the best parking companies in the industry with a Yahoo feed. Great interface.
Con: No longer operating due to legal issues.
Tip: N/A. Will be missed.

ParkingCrew.com (Team Internet)
Pro: Good ctr and high cpc for U.S. traffic. Good domain sales options (banner,link,email).
Con: Team Internet is a relativily new company when it comes to parking. Some people would rather go with a more established provider.
Tip: Leave auto-optimize on. Takes a while for the system to automatically optimize each domain via a Google feed.

Trafficz.com (Thought Convergence, Inc.)
Pro: Caters to large porfolio owners. Hard to get in unless you have a large number of domains.
Con: Low cpc for international traffic.
Tip: They reject anyone with a small portfolio, no point in wasting time.

Voodoo.com (Donny Simonton - founder)
Pro: Good ctr with solid revenue. Good domain for sale options. Nice template customization options and photos.
Con: About the only thing that could be better here is their net 30 pay.
Tip: Modern template performs best (default). Generic template has lowest ctr, but performs really well on certain type of domains (ex. directory sites).

General domain parking tips:
-for international traffic 1 click generally performs better than a 2 click lander.

-for high cpc niches (insurance, finacne, business, etc) with American traffic 2 click usually outperforms 1 click.

-a common mistake a lot of newcomers make is trying to optimize their domains incorrectly (picking the wrong keywords, etc..)

-usually the system will auto optimize better than you can, with enough traffic it will pick optimal keywords.

-typo traffic tends to perform better with darker templates than ligher ones. (ex. Atlas at DS, or a dark theme at Voodoo)

-to sell more domains while parking take advantage of providers that offer wildcard domain url forwarding. (ex. Voodoo, ParkingCrew)

-don't worry too much about SEO if you are parking, gone are the days that parking pages rank for exact match domains.

-try to stay away from trademark domains, not worth it unless you like being sued by lawyers.

Scams & fraud:
Another thing I almost forgot to mention, the domain industry is just like any other industry when it comes to scams and people selling snake oil. Stay away from anyone trying sell you an ebook or a method on how to make quick money buying, selling or parking domains. If they truly have figured out how to make money (which they probably haven't) they wouldn't tell you what it is and create more competition for themselves. And if someone tells you they will pay you a certain amount for one of your domains but they just want an appraisal which you have to pay for it's a scam. They own this "appraisal company" and pocket the amount you pay for the appraisal and never purchase your domain.

Final thoughts:
Keep your head up, it's not as bad as it seems. Parking revenue is in a slight decline compared to a few years ago but you can still make a nice profit if you are consistent & persistent. Drop names that don't make enough to cover the cost of registration, invest parking revenue into names that you think will make enough to cover the cost of registration. Rinse and repeat. Check your parking providers reports and notice which domains are making money, and which ones that are not. Ask yourself why? Pay close attention to CPC and CTR. With practice you will get a 6th sense of which types of domains tend to get a higher CTR than others and which type of niches have a good CPC. When it comes to payday, it may be tempting to get that parking check and purchase a brand new laptop or a flat screen tv but don't reward yourself just yet. Instead take that money and invest it back into your business. Notice that I said business, to be successful you have to treat domaining as a business instead of just hobby on the side regardless of the amount of hours you spend on it a day.

Best of luck. :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thank you very much for this post I think it's great.

After reading this I think I have been pretty stupid to stay with sedo while my names are into dns ( not parked obviously ). Should I go with them? Thanks

Are DNS good for selling domains? Mine don't receive much traffic so the selling aspect is more important than the revenue for me

Last edited:
•••
@ParkingVeteran did you bother doing any CPA or Affiliate links your domains.

"thanks for the nice post", I never knew typo domains perform better with darker themes or templates, is this true?

•••
@ParkingVeteran did you bother doing any CPA or Affiliate links your domains.

"thanks for the nice post", I never knew typo domains perform better with darker themes or templates, is this true?

Sorry are you talking to me?

•••
You mentioned you have large portfolio, roughly how large is it?

•••
Final thoughts:
Keep your head up, it's not as bad as it seems. Parking revenue is in a slight decline compared to a few years ago but you can still make a nice profit if you are consistent & persistent. Drop names that don't make enough to cover the cost of registration, invest parking revenue into names that you think will make enough to cover the cost of registration. Rinse and repeat. Check your parking providers reports and notice which domains are making money, and which ones that are not. Ask yourself why? Pay close attention to CPC and CTR. With practice you will get a 6th sense of which types of domains tend to get a higher CTR than others and which type of niches have a good CPC. When it comes to payday, it may be tempting to get that parking check and purchase a brand new laptop or a flat screen tv but don't reward yourself just yet. Instead take that money and invest it back into your business. Notice that I said business, to be successful you have to treat domaining as a business instead of just hobby on the side regardless of the amount of hours you spend on it a day.

Best of luck. :)

Thank you for Sharing this information.

I personally like the "Final thoughts:" paragraph

•••
well,

good post. thank you.

•••
I read from parking veteran talking about Voodoo that there perform well ex directory domain.. I know from my experience that those names are bad for parking.
Anyone with good experience in that niche??

•••
Thanks. Well rounded and well thought out advice.

•••
-don't worry too much about SEO if you are parking, gone are the days that parking pages rank for exact match domains.

what about if we add keywords to the title and keyword tag? woudnt it rank better in google if someone search that keyword?

ParkingVeteran did you bother doing any CPA or Affiliate links your domains.

was wondering the same thing. with a big amount of domains I wonder if he would make less or more money by affiliate market all domains.

You mentioned you have large portfolio, roughly how large is it?

when I hear large portfolio I think 10,000+ domains. probably not a lot of domainers that own that many domains.

•••
Very nice review of everybody. Excellent work.

Thanks.

Donny

•••
That's for the post. A lot of good information for a newbie such as myself.

•••
let see if the veteran could help me, i got a freshdrop account.. after hours of research there, nothing good found.. too many garbage..
how can i set filter to avoid some garbage?
i choose domains with no fake alexa and at least 2 years old. Then i sorf for alexa rank going up.. then i go for a check of the backlink of each single domain... i think that way is too time consuming.

also including domains with gov or edu backlink doesn't help.. too many domains i think that we have to add other filter.. but which one??

•••
Way better than what some PPC consultants sell for $397

Well, this is great!
Way better than what some PPC consultants sell for $397

_\|/_

•••
let see if the veteran could help me, i got a freshdrop account.. after hours of research there, nothing good found.. too many garbage..
how can i set filter to avoid some garbage?
i choose domains with no fake alexa and at least 2 years old. Then i sorf for alexa rank going up.. then i go for a check of the backlink of each single domain... i think that way is too time consuming.

also including domains with gov or edu backlink doesn't help.. too many domains i think that we have to add other filter.. but which one??

this problem is very good.
it is also confused me.

I know good domain is good, but how to find good domain???

•••
I'll say this again: It's all about relevance.

1. Search for domains that have backlinks on pages that people still visit.
example: A backlink on the "CONTACT US" page is better than a backlink on a website where the link is on page 100. Do your research!

2. Link quality: Search for backlinks that are relevant to what is being discussed. If you find a backlink on a site that has to do with dogs but the site you're visiting is about "Building Supplies", chances are no one is going to click on them.

3. Personal blogs suck - don't buy them

4. Edu, gov sites are great. You need to make sure the links are in places people will see. If backlink is buried between 500 comments, well, that's a horrible link. If you are on a gov page or edu page and you find a backlink in your home work assignment..that's a good link. Example: look for PDF files, books, etc... that are constantly handed out but never changed. It happens all the time.

Anyways, thought I would chime in here and add a little more info.

P.S. - Last word of advice. When you find a domain with good backlinks, check out the sites they are on. Do those sites still get daily traffic? How much traffic? How hard is it to find your link if someone stumbles onto a website?

You can have great backlinks but if they are sitting on a site that only gets 10 visitors a month, chances are your domain wont do a thing.

•••
Thanks again for the post!

•••
You can have great backlinks but if they are sitting on a site that only gets 10 visitors a month, chances are your domain wont do a thing.

How do we know how much traffic a site gets? Is it by estimating according to stats (like for example alexa ranking) or is there another way?

•••
:hearts:
I'll say this again: It's all about relevance.

1. Search for domains that have backlinks on pages that people still visit.
example: A backlink on the "CONTACT US" page is better than a backlink on a website where the link is on page 100. Do your research!

2. Link quality: Search for backlinks that are relevant to what is being discussed. If you find a backlink on a site that has to do with dogs but the site you're visiting is about "Building Supplies", chances are no one is going to click on them.

3. Personal blogs suck - don't buy them

4. Edu, gov sites are great. You need to make sure the links are in places people will see. If backlink is buried between 500 comments, well, that's a horrible link. If you are on a gov page or edu page and you find a backlink in your home work assignment..that's a good link. Example: look for PDF files, books, etc... that are constantly handed out but never changed. It happens all the time.

Anyways, thought I would chime in here and add a little more info.

P.S. - Last word of advice. When you find a domain with good backlinks, check out the sites they are on. Do those sites still get daily traffic? How much traffic? How hard is it to find your link if someone stumbles onto a website?

Always thank you for valuable infos.. But this is again "how to recognize good domains".
NOT how to find good domains from a listing with over 10000 names..
I think "how to filter" is 80% of the business secret

•••
smurge says is very good and has valuable.

but I think this is a hard hard work for person to do.

find a good domain from 10000 domain lists like find Needle in a haystack.
it will be waster time to do this.

so i think typo domain is better.

•••
How do we know how much traffic a site gets? Is it by estimating according to stats (like for example alexa ranking) or is there another way?

You have to use several tools like:

Alexa.com

Compete.com

and other sources like that which monitor traffic. You then take what you can and put a story together. Think of it like being a detective. You never have 100% of the story but if you have enough clues and evidence you can then be pretty sure you've got the right one.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

smurge says is very good and has valuable.

but I think this is a hard hard work for person to do.

find a good domain from 10000 domain lists like find Needle in a haystack.
it will be waster time to do this.

so i think typo domain is better.

You are correct..It takes time to do it manually and it's not always easy. You have to take the good with the bad, that's part of business.

•••
Yep.. I guess there is not a better way, just we have the market and a service like fresh drop work many filters and each person need to find his own street to better find names.

•••
I wonder what happened to ParkingVeteran? It would have been great to ask him more questions.

•••
I wonder what happened to ParkingVeteran? It would have been great to ask him more questions.

Lol I'm thinking same to you..
Where are u parking veteran??
Gone for retirement?

•••
@pablohc86 ha ha glad I'm not the only one wondering about it.

I really appreciate parkingveteran epic post, if your reading this thanks.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back