Dynadot

Domain old traffic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

mewithnix

Account Closed
Impact
i dont know if this is the right forum to discuss this. here's the situation but im not going to mention the real domain name. i have this forum named Philippinepoker.com (actually the "poker" is not the real word) this is just a new site and before i created this forum there's an existing same forum that has a high traffic, lot of posts and members.the name is pokerph.com( actually the "poker" is not the real word.) after a few months my philippinepoker.com wasnt that successful and doesnt have high traffic and still in the bottom of google search and no active posters while the pokerph.com is still number 1 in google search but got a lot of spam messages that looks like the webmaster doesnt managing it anymore. after a few months i find out that the domain has expired.

my question is should i register the domain and point it to my website then there will be a 2 domain for my site? will it help me to gain traffic even many of its members thought that the site has already shutdown and its already not in the google search anymore? what should i do? registering the domain is quite expensive for me now coz i exceeded my limit so im thinking twice. hope someone could help me. thank you in advance

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You will be pestered by a ton of spam email from that website, but if you could keep that out of your forum, I'd say it's worth a punt. But it will be extremely hard for you to keep your forum free of spam from that website. You'd need to be extremely vigilant. To the point you might not consider it's worth a punt. It could be a full-time job.

•••
Sounds like a world of pain for potentially very little gain. The only guarantee is you will increase the amount of spam on your forum. :)

•••
my question is should i register the domain and point it to my website then there will be a 2 domain for my site? will it help me to gain traffic even many of its members thought that the site has already shutdown and its already not in the google search anymore? what should i do? registering the domain is quite expensive for me now coz i exceeded my limit so im thinking twice. hope someone could help me. thank you in advance

If you mean you want to re-register your old expired name and point it to your new site, than:
1) yes it will help with members who have book marked your old site to find your new site
2) yes it will help with traffic from backlinks still pointing to your old site, as well as with "link juice" from those backlinks
3) no, your site will not have 2 domains for your site since the old domain will be redirected to the new domain and displayed in browser URL, but yes you will have to renew both domains for your site

•••
im sorry but i cant get your point guys... do you mean those spam will be automatically pointed to my site? so if thats it, maybe it doesnt mean it can enter my forum too because we have different security? how about google? will i get its spot in the google search? and get about 50 percent of its traffic? what are the advantages of getting that domain? thanks

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

@dompro sir its not my site... its my competitor's site and my plan is to get his expired domain but its been months since people think the site is dead because of too much spam until the h domain had expired. i dont know what happened to the admin, he just disappeared.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

by the way here is what indicated in the registrar "the domain name expired on ***** and is pending renewal or deletion " if ever im going to buy it, should i buy it now or wait for the deletion coz it will become cheaper? im just afraid if someone buy it before me

•••
its not my site... its my competitor's site and my plan is to get his expired domain but its been months since people think the site is dead because of too much spam until the h domain had expired. i dont know what happened to the admin, he just disappeared.
that's even better. You might get some additional backlinks and users of the competing site.

I would not worry about spam. It is likely the site had problems with spam either because of lack of tools (e.g. captcha, spam filters) or admin attention (e.g. moderation). It is not like "once the spammers find out about your site, you will be in trouble".

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

iby the way here is what indicated in the registrar "the domain name expired on ***** and is pending renewal or deletion " if ever im going to buy it, should i buy it now or wait for the deletion coz it will become cheaper? im just afraid if someone buy it before me

it depend on how much you want it. if you want it for reg fee - wait for it to drop and you may still get it (depend on how good it may look for someone else). If you want it badly - pay $60 to backorder.

•••
sir its already in the bidding and still no one bids. its 12 dollars. its just few days before it expire. should i wait for the last day or last minute? if no one bids then just wait for it to expire? thank you

•••
sir its already in the bidding and still no one bids. its 12 dollars. its just few days before it expire. should i wait for the last day or last minute? if no one bids then just wait for it to expire? thank you
bid like 15 (or whatever max you think you want it for) at the last minute. Don't show your interest ahead. Since the bid is only $12 I would not risk to let it drop to save like $4 compared to the new reg fee. Also there are SEO benefits with domain age (but the age will be reset if the domain is dropped)

•••
If you can handle/ filter the spam is good poin
if there is many good posting/ visitor it mean good.
if it is cheap you can buy it. if you feel that the price is too high (auction) just leave it.
if it just $ 12 + renewal I think better to get it. don't wait til drop.
somebody else maybe backorder it

•••
im confused now... so the 12 dollars is just to have the right to renew it? so i will pay double? if i will let it expire those backlinks will be gone? the seo benifits will be lessen?

•••
im confused now... so the 12 dollars is just to have the right to renew it? so i will pay double? if i will let it expire those backlinks will be gone? the seo benifits will be lessen?
1) depends on the system you are using, but I would think renewal is included considered that it is expired
2) backlinks will stay
3) domain age might be gone or not depending of the type of backorder. Some backorders are via drop-catching, some are with the same registrar where they actually renew it for you without dropping.

•••
why godaddy cannot retain the age on backorder their own domain ?
meanwhile the auction retain the age

Thanks

•••
why godaddy cannot retain the age on backorder their own domain ?
meanwhile the auction retain the age

Thanks

I think they can as long as it is not in "pending delete" (when the drop is irreversible) or "redemption period" (when there is a $$ renewal penalty) stages

•••
let me see. U have yoursite and in the future theirsite, and you are going to point theirsite to yoursite. Which means all the spammers and backlinks will be pointed to yoursite. If theirsite has some kind of reputation and/or backlinks left, you should point yoursite to theirsite. Which means all the spammers and backlinks will be pointed to theirsite (effectively the same scenario except the backlinks will still be pointed to the actual correct domain without any forwarding). Also you retain any google ranking, at least temporarily.

I've been in this situation and it's almost entirely impossible to stop those spammers from joining your forum unless you are well versed in forum software and the prevention of spammers. It's possible, but very difficult. It might take months to eradicate the spam. Maybe never. It also depends on the forum software you choose to use and whether it is the same as the previous site.

The backlinks will only be worth something if they point to the domain itself (theirsite.com). If they point somewhere else, like a page on theirsite (which I presume you do not intend to recreate each page), then their value is diminished. maybe to zero unless you can redirect all dead urls to their domain (theirsite.com)

Having been in this position, I wouldn't go through this process again, voluntarily. But everyone has a different level of tolerance to spammers. Maybe you can defeat them. I've both beaten them and lost to them. Also, forums are notoriously hard to make money from. So this is more a labor of love than any commercial venture.

Spammers will also eventually cut you off from your hosting if their activities go uncorrected.

Last edited:
•••
we can add 404 redirect to homepage.
for the backlink

•••
we can add 404 redirect to homepage.
for the backlink

404 (not found) redirect won't pass the link juice, has to be 301!

•••
•••
well i would suggest you to register a new domain and oint to the old domain
as that will be twice effective for increasing the traffic..
registering with a single domain and letting the old one vanish wont be a so beneficial for you..
however ups and down are normal in every business..
do not lose hope work with zeal and power..
hope it helps you..

•••
well i would suggest you to register a new domain and oint to the old domain
as that will be twice effective for increasing the traffic..
they already using new domain. pointing the old (expired competing) domain to the new one is the way to go!

•••
got unlucky... got confused with the ending of the auction. i alarmed my phone but when i checked it was already renewed. when i look at the whois i saw the name is still registered to the same owner but when i checked it after a few weeks theres a new registrant.

maybe ill just have to improve my site. thanks for all you comments.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back